The Voice is Gone; But I Remember // N/A

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I was working at a recording studio in Boston and worked on a bunch of "them:"
It's a Pepsi Generation; Things Go Better With Coke; Let Hertz Put Yoooooooo in the Driver's Seat-----Today; Howard Johnson's; Red Coach Grill; Carling Black Label Beer; Touraine Paints; dozens and more of the jingles and radio-TV spots which have long since passed into history. And our readers under age of 30 probably never heard any of them.

But there's one special series of "on-locations" I'll not forget. HOWDY BEEFBURGER chain lapsed(or was devoured) into other ownership -- probably McDonalds -- decades ago. As a Recording Engineer I got to accompany the "Talent" to various HOWDY locations where the Talent would do numerous takes for radio commercials. The Talent was just a peach of a man in sports shirt and slacks, easy-going, with absolutely no sign of "attitude." He always bought me lunch, and it wasn't at HOWDY. Today I can feel the microphone in my hand as I held it forward for the standard opening phrase: "Hi; this is Curt Gowdy, at one of my favorite Howdy Beefburgfer Drive-ins...............
Rest in peace, Curt. I owe you lunch............later.

HR

He was a class act. I grew up watching sports with him covering it. And I enjoyed The American Sportsman whenever I had time to watch it, too. He will be missed.

Back