The value of a Class I medical:

I guess I've had enough experience in medicine to know it has HUGE limitations.

On the other hand, one could point out how rare an in-flight cardiac event among First Class Medical Certificate holders, suggesting that the program is doing its job.

+1. How often does this sort of thing happen? Pretty rare.

We were just talking about this at work the other day; single pilot EMS. Personally I wouldn't have a problem being required to get a Class I to do my job. Company pays for it anyway and a Class I just might catch something that would get overlooked in a II. Then again, I can't remember the last time a pilot was incapacitated flying EMS. We're all the picture of health. :D

One thing I read in some news coverage of the story was "military personnel and a doctor were performing CPR" which I took that these were passengers who were attempting to supply first aid.

My question: Aren't most part 121 aircraft equipped with the auto defib machines? I wonder if it was on that flight, was this machine employed.

I get a class 2 ,however I get a full physical from my PCP every year with any associated tests he thinks I need.

Well you never know when it's your time to go. There are world class athletes who get completely cleared medically that die of massive coronary incidents or stroke. No physical can completely predict the processes within the body.

All a First Class physical (well, ANY physical, for that matter) means is that you meet the standards on THAT day. One self certifies every other day between physicals.

Interesting that they show a United (Continental, actually) 787 and the article says it was a 737 involved.

Back