The time has finally come. CHECKRIDE 2/21/14

The most important fact taken from flight training is that you would not be signed off to take a check ride if you could not operate the aircraft at a level in excess of the minimum standards necessary - thus - by the time you get signed off you already passed the test. Taking that attitude into the check ride takes the stress off. . . .

The oral portion is just talking about flying the airplane you've been flying for your entire training.

Yep. The instructor wants you to pass.

For me, the oral and flight portions of the PTS were the easiest portions of my flight training by far. But my instructor had me thinking both would be impending death. He over-prepared me, and when the time came, it seemed easy.

Ron's advice is spot on too. The "shut your mouth" part is important! My oral was a little over an hour, and sometimes the DPE talked more than I did. Of course, getting a 97% on the written and being very well prepared(books/POH tabbed, maintenance documents in order, etc) didn't hurt.

To me, the flight portion was no different than any other lesson, just with a different guy in the other seat. But I had also taken 2 "mock checkrides" with different instructors, so I was familliar with flying with a stranger in the other seat.

Relax, and have fun! You will pass:yes:

Thank you everyone.

Without jinxing myself, tomorrow is the big day.

0900!!!

Thank you everyone.

0900!!!

In a nutshell, don't scare the examiner, and you'll almost certainly pass.

But nerves do play games with you.

During my check ride, I overshot the simulated emergency landing and went around (turns out PTS does not require an actual landing -- I didn't know that at the time), and then proceeded to dump the flaps on a no-flap landing. I still passed….

If you haven't been told to go home or been asked if you wish to continue after your failure, you're still passing, even if you just F'd up badly.

Should be some good weather. Good Luck!

Thank you everyone.

0900!!!

Good luck! I am sure you will do fine. My kid told me the key is to relax and not get worried when the DPE writes stuff down. He passed his last weekend.

Did mine last week. Kicking myself now that I was that worked up about it. Your instructor is most likely harder on you than the DPE so you will do great.

Passed oral, rescheduled flight portion due to high winds.

Almost there. So close.:mad2::mad2:

Hey at least the oral is done. Now you get to go do the cool stuff "FLY".

Hope you can get in soon.

Hey at least the oral is done. Now you get to go do the cool stuff "FLY".

Hope you can get in soon.

looking at tomorrow hopefully.

The whole day lasted a grueling 9hours. A lot of my stuff was messed up. The DPE thankfully walked me through my short comings on paperwork. My logbook was a mess. But I'll do a write up on that later.

That's odd. I met with my CFI the day before and we made sure everything was in order, from my logbook to IACRA to the aircraft logs.

I sent my records to the DPE ahead of time, and he had one significant comment we had to fix. He wanted to see a detailed ground log, signed by the CFI, covering each individual item in 14 CFR 61.105.

That's odd. I met with my CFI the day before and we made sure everything was in order, from my logbook to IACRA to the aircraft logs.

You are correct. The ball was dropped but that's okay. I take full responsibility for the paperwork not being in order.

Good luck. My son had his flight portion postponed to the next day due to winds. He passed the next day.

It sounds like having plenty of time for the oral portion might have been a blessing in disguise. Good luck on your ride.

Well I passed by the skin of my teeth!! I'm so mentally drained from the effort of all this I just want to sleep!

I can't tell you how elated I was to hear the DPE tell me congratulations... it didn't even sink in until he shook my hand after he gave me the piece of paper telling me I was a private pilot.

The writeup can wait. :)

Great job. I am sure you did well he would not have passed you if he thought you were not safe.

Congratulations. I slept for 14 hours straight after I got back from my check ride.

Congrats Jesse, I know you worked hard for this.
Time to reschedule a belated anniversary trip with the wife.

Also, Dude, you're a pilot!

999966665837.jpg

Last edited:
You've trained hard, you've studied...you KNOW THIS!

Think of the oral as though you are having a conversation with another pilot.

you KNOW THIS!

When you walk out to begin the practical, just remember that YOU are the PIC!

you KNOW THIS!

This time tomorrow, we'll be calling you PILOT IN COMMAND!

You've trained hard, you've studied...you KNOW THIS!

Think of the oral as though you are having a conversation with another pilot.

you KNOW THIS!

When you walk out to begin the practical, just remember that YOU are the PIC!

you KNOW THIS!

This time tomorrow, we'll be calling you PILOT IN COMMAND!

Flash forward to tomorrow by i'm PIC today ;)

I did my check ride and passed barely :hairraise::hairraise:

Congrats! Can't wait for the writeup. It looks like it'll be quite the story.

Well I passed by the skin of my teeth!! I'm so mentally drained from the effort of all this I just want to sleep!

I can't tell you how elated I was to hear the DPE tell me congratulations... it didn't even sink in until he shook my hand after he gave me the piece of paper telling me I was a private pilot.

The writeup can wait. :)

YESSS!!!! Congrats...HULK NOW Is PILOT!

HULK Fly!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back