The time has finally come. CHECKRIDE 2/21/14

Jhernandez04

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheHulk
Passed my written and got all my requirements met. I have my check ride scheduled for this Friday, weather permitting.

Did a practice checkride yesterday. Everything went great except 2 things, steep turns and turns around a point. Both things I do not routinely perform.

My steep turns were 25* and not 45* and the wind blew me around yesterday during my turns around a point. But by the end of the practice check ride I had ironed out the issues. All my landings and takeoffs were good. Emergency landing was good, go around also was good.

I'm only worried about the oral portion. As I'm more of a do-er then a talker. But AggieMike said he'll work with me tomorrow on it.

Here's a portion of what the DPE sent me.

"Be sure and review the current Private Pilot Practical Test Standards ( dated Jun 1, 2012 ). I am directed by the FAA to use this PTS to conduct the test. There is a new emphasis on Single Pilot Resource Management"

Thoughts or tips?! I'm nervous now that it's finally here.

Who is your DPE?

Just relax as it's more of a casual conversation and a great period to learn even from the DPE giving past examples...

Who is your DPE?

Just relax as it's more of a casual conversation and a great period to learn even from the DPE giving past examples...

Terry Strange is the gentlemens name.

I sure hope I can relax. I sweated my butt off on the practice checkride.

...when you're answers require it - emphasize safety. That's what the PPL is all about. Talk about your personal minimums and how you over prepare.

I used a DPE out of Waco and he was all over the PTS...said he couldn't believe how many applicants are coming in without knowing it cold. I had a copy printed out and sitting right in front of me to start...he liked that...especially since my CFI has a reputation of not being a 'by the PTS' kinda guy. He's an awesome CFI - wouldn't have traded him for anyone else...lots of experience and an A&P to boot so loved that perspective as a plane owner but he wasn't the kind of guy with the PTS out when we were in the practice area going through the bullet points.

Anyway, get plenty of rest and make sure you show up early to get your space setup and have plenty of time for a cup of coffee (don't drink too much!) and time to walk off the nerves. Nothing worse that getting off on a bad start because you're late.

One other thing - make sure you have an A&P go through your airplane logbook with you to make sure you have everything there you need. My DPE discontinued me after my oral because he didn't like how my ELT inspection was recorded. Despite getting my A&P and IA on the phone and them assuring him it was done and even offering to fax something over we could pin into the logbook, he sent me packing. Do yourself a favor and make sure you get those ducks in a row.

FWIW, I fly a 64 Cherokee 235 as well. :) Great planes...love ours. Hope we get a chance to meet up at some point. I fly out of KGTU (Georgetown just north of Austin).

Here was my write up - I just passed mine last Sept. Check out those two youtube videos I linked to if you haven't seen them already. Very helpful for preparing for the PPL oral piece.http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63880

Last edited:
having been through this in December, I don't think there's anything we can say that will ease your nervousness. you will be nervous. and you'll probably do just fine and laugh/smile about it for a long time to come. good luck, have fun, and like others have said, try to get a good nights sleep and show up early.

Captain Levy’s Checkride Advice

1. Relax and enjoy it. Nationwide, about 90% of applicants pass on the first try, so look around and see if you think you’re as good as 9 out of 10 other students. Also, your instructor must maintain a pass rate of at least 80% to get his ticket renewed, so he’s not going to send you up unless he’s pretty darn sure you’ll pass – otherwise, he has to find four other people to pass to make up for you, and that’s not always easy.

2. Go over with your instructor the logbooks of the aircraft you're going to use the day BEFORE the checkride to make sure it's all in order (annual, transponder checks, ELT ops and battery, 100-hour if rented, etc.). If the airplane's paper busts, so do you. Run a sample W&B, too – get the examiner’s weight when you make the appointment. If you weigh 200, and so does the examiner, don’t show up with a C-152 with full tanks and a 350 lb available cabin load – examiners can’t waive max gross weight limits.

3. Relax.

4. Rest up and get a good night's sleep the night before. Don't stay up "cramming."

5. Relax.

6. Read carefully the ENTIRE PTS including all the introductory material. Use the checklist in the front to make sure you take all the stuff you need -- papers and equipment. And the examiner’s fee UP FRONT (too much chance a disgruntled applicant will refuse to pay afterward) in the form demanded by the examiner is a “required document” from a practical, if not FAA, standpoint.

7. Relax.

8. You’re going to make a big mistake somewhere. The examiner knows this will happen, and it doesn’t have to end the ride. What’s important is not whether you make a mistake, but how you deal with it – whether you recover and move on without letting it destroy your flying. Figure out where you are now, how to get to where you want to be, and then do what it takes to get there. That will save your checkride today and your butt later on.

9. Relax.

10. You're going to make some minor mistakes. Correct them yourself in a timely manner "so the outcome of the maneuver is never seriously in doubt" and you'll be OK. If you start to go high on your first steep turn and start a correction as you approach 100 feet high but top out at 110 high while making a smooth correction back to the requested altitude, don't sweat -- nail the next one and you'll pass with "flying colors" (a naval term, actually). If you see the maneuver will exceed parameters and not be smoothly recoverable, tell the examiner and knock it off before you go outside those parameters, and then re-initiate. That shows great sense, if not great skill, and judgement is the most critical item on the checkride.

11. Relax.

12. During the oral, you don’t have to answer from memory anything you’d have time to look up in reality. You never need to memorize and know everything. Categorize material as:

a. Things you must memorize (i.e. emergency procedures, radio calls, airspace, etc).
b. Things you must know or have reasonable understanding of (i.e. interpreting weather codes, non-critical regs).
c. Things you must know about but can look up and will have time to look up on the ground.

(Thanks to Mark Bourdeaux for this categorization.) So if the examiner asks you about currency, it’s OK to open the FAR book to 61.56 and 61.57 and explain them to him. But make sure you know where the answer is without reading the whole FAR/AIM cover-to-cover. On the other hand, for stuff you’d have to know RIGHT NOW (e.g., best glide speed for engine failure, etc.), you’d best not stumble or stutter – know that stuff cold. Also, remember that the examiner will use the areas your knowledge test report says you missed as focus points in the oral, so study them extra thoroughly.

13. Relax.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?

Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

15. Relax

16. (Courtesy of PoA’s Anymouse) If the examiner is talking, never, ever interrupt him. There are two reasons for this:
a) You just might learn something from him, and
b) He just might do the oral for you.

17. Relax.

18. Some questions are meant simply to test your knowledge, not your skill, even if they sound otherwise. If the examiner asks how far below the cloud deck you are, he is checking to see if you know the answer is “at least 500 feet,” not how good your depth perception is. He can’t tell any better than you can, and the only way to be sure is to climb up and see when you hit the bases, which for sure he won’t let you do.

19. Relax

20. It’s a test of your flying skill, not your knowledge of PTS minutiae. Make sure you know which maneuver the examiner wants done, and confirm the details if necessary – before you start the maneuver. Does s/he want stalls taken all the way to the break or just to the buffet or “first sign of impending stall”? Is that “spot landing” s/he asked for the “power-off 180-degree accuracy approach and landing” no more than 400 feet beyond the spot or the “short-field approach and landing” which allows use of power but no more than 200 feet beyond the spot (PP standards)?

21. Relax

22. Remember the first rule of Italian driving: "What's behind me is not important." Don't worry about how you did the last maneuver or question. If you didn't do it well enough, the examiner must notify you and terminate the checkride. If you are on the next one, forget the last one because it was good enough to pass. Focus on doing that next maneuver or answering the next question the best you can, because while it can still determine whether you pass or fail, the last one can’t anymore. If you get back to the office and he hasn't said you failed, smile to your friends as you walk in because you just passed.

23. Relax and enjoy your new license.

Ron Levy, ATP, CFI, Veteran of 11 license/rating checkrides, including 4 with FAA inspectors

The oral scared me the most as well. It will not be as bad as you think it is going to be. Think of it as you just sitting down with another CFI for a little bit. The amount of time the oral takes, they cannot cover everything. If you don't know the answer to something, I would suggest you proceed to look it up. I had to look a couple things up on my oral and he said he was happy I didn't just guess an answer because a wrong answer could be very bad for you.

Good luck!

Mine was a long time ago. As I recall on the oral he focused a lot on the two questions I missed on the written.

I also have a habit of running a mental and verbal checklist through each required element. Basically just saying out loud each step as I do it. I guess that can be good or bad depending on the DPE. For me it worked.

Have fun.

I think the best advice is RELAX. Your nerves on the mock checkride likely mean you'll be sweating even more on the real thing. If you don't mind spending the money and time with your instructor, another mock checkride just to reassure yourself you're 100% ready might help you relax. My CFI also gave me a mock oral quiz, doing his best imitation of the DPE.

Oh ya, Ron's categorization of information concept is great. I wish I had thought of it that way. I had my FAR/AIM in front of me but never cracked it open during the exam.

I felt a little like I was playing whack-a-mole with the checkride prep. I worked on problem areas one at a time. It all came together in the end but I was sweating bullets during the oral and the checkride.

RELAX <-- sound advice, but hard to implement.

Passed my written and got all my requirements met. I have my check ride scheduled for this Friday, weather permitting.

Did a practice checkride yesterday. Everything went great except 2 things, steep turns and turns around a point. Both things I do not routinely perform.

My steep turns were 25* and not 45* and the wind blew me around yesterday during my turns around a point. But by the end of the practice check ride I had ironed out the issues. All my landings and takeoffs were good. Emergency landing was good, go around also was good.

I'm only worried about the oral portion. As I'm more of a do-er then a talker. But AggieMike said he'll work with me tomorrow on it.

Here's a portion of what the DPE sent me.

"Be sure and review the current Private Pilot Practical Test Standards ( dated Jun 1, 2012 ). I am directed by the FAA to use this PTS to conduct the test. There is a new emphasis on Single Pilot Resource Management"

Thoughts or tips?! I'm nervous now that it's finally here.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

This is good advice. My examiner, who was an FAA inspector, not a DPE, commented after my check ride about how I was very well disciplined in terms of answering the question directly, and only the question asked. He could tell at times I wanted to say something else, but still said nothing beyond the direct answer. I think he was hoping I would give him a little bit that he could use to get me to trip up a little-- not in a bad way where he would fail me unfairly, but just to give him an in to see the boundaries of my knowledge, and may to teach me a little something I might not already know.

Last edited:
I am sure you know this now. But on Steep turns there is not a mark at the top for 45 degrees like there is with 10, 20, 30, and 60 on the Attitude indicator.

Line the "wing" on the instrument up with inner most diagonal coming down from the horizon.
Keep in the back pressure and pick a spot on the dash and keep the Horizon at that point hopefully you will fly through your own wake.

Again, after your practice yesterday, you probably know that now but just in case.

1007cover4.jpg

on my Cherokee 235 I could crank 2.5 turns up trim right as I was starting my steep turn and it was butter. If you aren't trimming on steep turns and slow flight then you aren't going to be consistent at all.

I am sure you know this now. But on Steep turns there is not a mark at the top for 45 degrees like there is with 10, 20, 30, and 60 on the Attitude indicator.

You don't want to be looking at your AI during a steep turn if you can avoid it. Your turns will be much better if all your judgments are made with outside references.

My BFR instructor had an interesting technique. You can approximate 45 deg by making an L with one hand and comparing your fingertips to the horizon. It's not exact because your thumb and index finger would need to be the same length, but it will get you close enough. It's closer to the CP standard (55 deg).

After your check ride, you can try some 60 deg turns. They aren't really that different from 45 deg, but it's good to feel what 2G's feels like. That's your load limit at full flap (it's almost twice that flaps up).

But since the practice check ride has already been done, do what you practiced.

on my Cherokee 235 I could crank 2.5 turns up trim right as I was starting my steep turn and it was butter. If you aren't trimming on steep turns and slow flight then you aren't going to be consistent at all.

There is some disagreement on that. The steep turn is always transitory, and usually when you do that for real, you're in a BIG hurry. It will help you pass PTS, though.

You can physically do a steep turn even in a 182 at 60 deg while trimmed for level flight.

I've even done canyon turns trimmed for level (at 1.5 times stall speed with 10 deg flaps, which is how they should be flown). That only takes 5 or 6 seconds to do a 180, and the roll in is FAST to 60 deg. Not a time to be futzing with trim.

Keep it coming! Thank you to all for the help and good luck wishes.

My issue with the steep turns was that I hadn't performed them in along time so I thought the 2nd line was 45*. I got it now, Bryan that pic is what I needed yesterday lol.

Keep it coming! Thank you to all for the help and good luck wishes.

My issue with the steep turns was that I hadn't performed them in along time so I thought the 2nd line was 45*. I got it now, Bryan that pic is what I needed yesterday lol.

Remember to bring some power in on your roll-in (after 30deg bank) to help maintain altitude..and remember to take it out gradually as you return to your wings level starting point...

You will know you have enough when you do your scan and the VSI is at 0..Keep your scan going throughout and you will be able to correct any change in altitude well within PTS standards!

Also by all means, remember you are the PIC and you are much stronger than him.
I've met both of you and there is no way he could overpower you. Bring a laptop and fly low. You have the power to "pass" this checkride.

If I thought you were going to push me out of a plane, I would fill out all the forms online right then and there.

Just sayin

I was tempted to link to my checkride writeup. But it looks like your checkride is tomorrow, and at this point, you don't need to be reading any more writeups. I know you'll do well. Relax, do what you know, have fun. My one tip: on the flight portion BE VERBAL. I talk to myself like a crazy person when I fly, and I didn't change that when on my checkride. My DPE ate it up, because he knew what I was doing and why I was doing it.

....My one tip: on the flight portion BE VERBAL. I talk to myself like a crazy person when I fly, and I didn't change that when on my checkride. My DPE ate it up, because he knew what I was doing and why I was doing it.

x2
:yeahthat:

The most important fact taken from flight training is that you would not be signed off to take a check ride if you could not operate the aircraft at a level in excess of the minimum standards necessary - thus - by the time you get signed off you already passed the test. Taking that attitude into the check ride takes the stress off. . . .

The oral portion is just talking about flying the airplane you've been flying for your entire training.

I am watching Aggie Mike and The hulk hammer out some Test Prep at my kitchen table.
I have forgotten a few things since getting my ticket.

No one else said it so I will. "We're all counting on you"

Oh no! Move to AZ and you might only cancel 1 flight per year due to wx. Now you have more time to study and that means it will be even easier.

Oh no! Move to AZ and you might only cancel 1 flight per year due to wx. Now you have more time to study and that means it will be even easier.

The weather out here is ridiculous.
I have never seen it like this in 25 years of living here.

12 degrees one day, 70 the next, fog every other day, and my favorite is the "snow storm" we got.

I put snow in quotes because it was just sleet. It sleeted for 2 days straight. Woke up and it looked like snow everywhere but just rock hard ice covering everything.

I don't care if it is hot or cold or whatever I just want it to stay consistent.

Sorry your flight got scrubbed Jesse. I think I read somewhere that it s your anniversary? I guess no sunset anniversary flight but Congratulations to you and the wife! Keep studying so you don't forget a bunch of junk between now and the check ride. Then in March you can fly her to Cancun for a belated anniversary trip! I will be happy to ride along :)

The weather out here is ridiculous.
I have never seen it like this in 25 years of living here.

12 degrees one day, 70 the next, fog every other day, and my favorite is the "snow storm" we got.

I put snow in quotes because it was just sleet. It sleeted for 2 days straight. Woke up and it looked like snow everywhere but just rock hard ice covering everything.

I don't care if it is hot or cold or whatever I just want it to stay consistent.

Sorry your flight got scrubbed Jesse. I think I read somewhere that it s your anniversary? I guess no sunset anniversary flight but Congratulations to you and the wife! Keep studying so you don't forget a bunch of junk between now and the check ride. Then in March you can fly her to Cancun for a belated anniversary trip! I will be happy to ride along :)

Well at least this gives me time to over prepare. Lol

You can fly us and we'll occupy the backseats, what happens in the air...stays in the air. ;)

this is a perfect example of "the highs and lows" of PPL flight training. I'm sure you're pretty disappointed now, but it will be that much better when it finally happens and you get your ticket. hang in there!

this is a perfect example of "the highs and lows" of PPL flight training. I'm sure you're pretty disappointed now, but it will be that much better when it finally happens and you get your ticket. hang in there!

Low would be an understatement. But I hope your right, at this point I'm feeling vert discouraged but Bryan and Mike are helping me figure it out.

And probably your most expensive, as well...

-Skip

I had an eventful two days of PPL Checkride. Yes, cost me tons. Engine Failure, postponed checkrides, hiring a CFI enroute etc...It was a long two days. But the 45 minutes in the plane with the examiner where enjoyable.

Things happen for a reason,take the time to study. And work on your steep turns. Good luck

Good luck. The oral was not that bad. Just remember short answers. Do not add more than needed.

Back