The Tenant owns me

There's a reason why CA landlords screen tenants so thoroughly.

Between lost rent, fees (even without court), and possible damages one can easily wipe out 6-18 months of income. BTDT

6-18 months loss if you are lucky. When evicting a tenant in America, the tenants like to destroy the place and take everything with them. Then down time to fix. It’s easy to say you’ll never get one of these tenants but you just never know. It happens more than you would think.

Do you know if the tenant, having lost the case, was held responsible for Court costs and Attorneys fees

It was over a quarter century ago. No, I don't remember. But, given that it was an eviction for non-payment of rent, I doubt that the plaintiff was able to collect a cent from the deadbeats.

Yes I intentionally just posted part of it. The other No-fault just causes do not apply to my situation.

(B) Withdrawal of the residential property from the rental market.
(C) Unsafe habitation, as determined by a government agency that has issued an order to vacate, order to comply, or other order that necessitates vacating the residential property.
(D) Intent to demolish or to substantially remodel.
Doesn't (B) apply in your situation, and possibly (D)?

Doesn't (B) apply in your situation, and possibly (D)?
B maybe could but I’m pretty sure we’ll find out it mean’s exactly what it says, ‘residential property.’ It’s a Duplex. We just want to move into half of it. Our piggy bank is balking at the idea of removing the other renter also. We’ve had all kinds of fun talking about demolition. Like should we let them know first or just bring the wrecking ball in one morning. Substantial remodel is kinda vague. But from what we’ve read, there have been cases where the owner got themselves in trouble by playing that card and not doing something really substantial.

Back