The slowdown that airliners do on approach

Wrong. Maybe you're thinking of auto throttles, not all jets have them. I flew the CJ 200,700, and 900, all without auto throttles. But the 700 & 900 did have FADEC. Yes computers control and do a lot in modern airplanes, but not all.

My Lance has an auto throttle. Only works when I'm out if gas though. POS......

It was a joke.... Just taking a dig at how automated flying has become.

Flew SW and it was all steam in June. I was like whoa......you really gone fly this thing? He was like, yea, it the last one we have and I'll fly it till they pull it out from under me!

As many have mentioned could be a variation of many things. I think the most noticible one is the reduction from the long approach to final. Often times ATC will want us to keep it rather fast until the FAF and then since we have a requirement to be configured and stable, typically by 1000 it doesn't leave us much time to do so. So often we go from maybe one or two notches of flaps and the speed ATC wanted, all the way to fully configured and Vref in a rather short timespan. All that brings the changes in pitch that accompany the various comfiguration changes which amplifies its notability.

Even after having flown 1600 + hours ( in single engines pistons only ) I still enjoy seating behind the wing and watching big flaps come down on final. I sill marvel at huge wings on 777 or 747. I have to have window seat while flying commercial or it will ruin my whole trip

It's not polite to tell a jet jock he/she is adjusting the throttle... Those are Thrusters/thrust-levers... at least that's what an Airforce LtCol told me once...:rolleyes:
wth does the air force know about flying? :D

Back