The shortest commercial flight

Good application for electric power as long as they can handle the likely long charge time somehow.

And, with enough subsidy, it could be "profitable" with electric power.

My shortest “commercial” flight was on a Metro III from SFO to OAK. From takeoff to touchdown was 90sec. In that time I could just get the airplane to 250kts, then start to slow down. Could do it on 80lbs of fuel.

Did not see the video but in regards to a short commercial flight, New England Air fly’s between Westerly RI and Block Island during the summer months. It’s maybe a 10 minute takeoff to landing flight. That’s got to rank up there near the top of shortest scheduled commercial flights.

St Ignace to Mackinac island
Norddeich to Juist island in the north sea
Norddeich to Wangerooge island

My shortest “commercial” flight was on a Metro III from SFO to OAK. From takeoff to touchdown was 90sec. In that time I could just get the airplane to 250kts, then start to slow down. Could do it on 80lbs of fuel.
Years ago Western Airlines did that run in a 727.

For a while there was a 767 that flew from Brazzaville to Kinshasa, about 6 miles, because bandits held the bridge across the Congo River.

Last edited:
Years ago Western Airlines did that run in a 727.

For a while there was a 767 the flew from Brazzaville to Kinshasa, about 6 miles, because bandits held the bridge across the Congo River.
Bet it took longer in a 727.

Back