The search function on this forum sucks. There I said it.

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Trying to find the latest Rough River thread so I search for "Rough" in titles only.
One would expect that it returns threads by title maybe in order from newest to oldest hopefully including the most recent with the string "Rough River" in it.
Nope

search02.jpg

I know @eman1200 had a stroke when titling the thread but I am not sure how many "R"'s were included so I just add a couple thinking certainly, it will return that string in the title.

Nope

search03.jpg

Eff it, I keep searching until I hit the exact number of R's in the title and I finally get the thread but also 3 other threads that do in fact not have that string in their title.

search04.jpg

It's 7 R's by the way.
Next year I am hoping for RR000UGGG4_R1v3r_Too_INDIA-Tree--->Fly-1n__Yum#Beer

At any rate, I have struggled to make use of the search function on this forum. Is there an option in the forum admin panel where you uncheck "Randomize results" or something?

5.jpg

Default answer: use google. True for basically every forum
Except for those special few who won't allow Google to scrape their site. (Common for any site behind a paywall, but also inexplicably for some public forums too.)

If you don't like it, start your own board.

Oh, wait.

The "search titles only" is your problem. Search "rough river" without that box checked and it pops right up. Not like there's that many threads mentioning RR to wade through.

The bit about eman having a stroke though...I lol'd

The mooney space search is even worse

At any rate, I have struggled to make use of the search function on this forum. Is there an option in the forum admin panel where you uncheck "Randomize results" or something?

Thank you! I've been meaning to post something similar for a long time now.

For example, you want to find the "MyFlightBook" thread. So you search for myflightbook. The actual thread is the 16th result, and even then, that takes you to a post within the thread that mentions myflightbook directly. Not the beginning or end of the thread.

So you check the box "search titles only", and now it's the 4th result, because they're organized by the start date of the thread, by not the most recent post date, which would seem more preferable to me.

Or how about this - a search for "joke" returns the "Joke Day" thread as the 3rd result. But searching for "joke day" returns it as the 6th result. How does that work, where a more specific search term moves it _down_ the list?

Thank you! I've been meaning to post something similar for a long time now.

For example, you want to find the "MyFlightBook" thread. So you search for myflightbook. The actual thread is the 16th result, and even then, that takes you to a post within the thread that mentions myflightbook directly. Not the beginning or end of the thread.

So you check the box "search titles only", and now it's the 4th result, because they're organized by the start date of the thread, by not the most recent post date, which would seem more preferable to me.

Or how about this - a search for "joke" returns the "Joke Day" thread as the 3rd result. But searching for "joke day" returns it as the 6th result. How does that work, where a more specific search term moves it _down_ the list?

I think it is the same algorithm Outlook look uses for searching for emails. That one is useless AF

At least it IS searchable, unlike Instagram and Facebook which are TRULY terrible.

Back