The Sad Decline in the Caliber of Craigslist Sellers

and tonight I get

We received a request to reset the password associated with this e-mail address. If you made this request, please follow the instructions below.

Click the link below to reset your password using our secure server:

https://www.amazon.com/ap/forgotpassword?ie=UTF8&arb=8f28379a-fcb9-42d7-9f4e-e7d7e949957c

If you did not request to have your password reset you can safely ignore this email. Rest assured your customer account is safe.

If clicking the link doesn't seem to work, you can copy and paste the link into your browser's address window, or retype it there. Once you have returned to Amazon.com, we will give instructions for resetting your password.

Amazon.com will never e-mail you and ask you to disclose or verify your Amazon.com password, credit card, or banking account number. If you receive a suspicious e-mail with a link to update your account information, do not click on the link--instead, report the e-mail to Amazon.com for investigation. Thanks for visiting Amazon.com!

r.html

The only thing I can think of is that the fraudulent purchase was made through your computer using some sort of remote-access malware. That would make it look like you'd made the purchase. I haven't had any experience with eBay's fraud department, but my experience with PayPal's has been superb.Rich
Swing and miss, since they reprogrammed my entire portfolio (hijacked my account). Like I said, Ebay did bubkis, and PayPal worse. Your time will come, you can count on it.

I have to agree with Rich on this one. When my daughter was buying her first car we looked at dozens. I couldn't believe how many people would post ONE picture of the car in the ad, we'd ask for other pictures but they couldn't send them in a timely manner so I'd ask about damage...."none"....we'd show up in person to find the other side of the car caved in. I'm not exaggerating when I say this happened at least 20 times.

Door panels missing, trunks bungee-corded closed, missing batteries was a big thing, dashboards with multiple 1" cracks, power windows that didn't work.

I have to agree with Rich on this one. When my daughter was buying her first car we looked at dozens. I couldn't believe how many people would post ONE picture of the car in the ad, we'd ask for other pictures but they couldn't send them in a timely manner so I'd ask about damage...."none"....we'd show up in person to find the other side of the car caved in. I'm not exaggerating when I say this happened at least 20 times.

Door panels missing, trunks bungee-corded closed, missing batteries was a big thing, dashboards with multiple 1" cracks, power windows that didn't work.

Then you were picking bad cars to look at.

I don't show up if there's no pictures or one picture, or pictures that obviously leave things out. There is simply no excuse for that these days with everyone having a smartphone.

Yeah. Desperate buyers, being her first car and all. It's not like I was going to let her drive MY car.

I already let my kids drive my truck.

Conversations like this happen all too often here at the yard. And like Rich's sellers, makes me very worried about the downhill slide of our culture.

Mike: "Thanks for calling Denton Truck and Auto Parts, how can I help you?"

Customer: "I need door mirrors to fit my 2015 Chrysler 200. I've been calling around and no one has the design options I need, and I really need your help finding some."

"Okay, tell me if your door mirrors have these options...." (we go through list and narrow down from 8 potential choices to the design he has and needs. The search of my inventory shows none available in my yard, nor the yards that I am immediately connected to. The Car-Part.com search of over 3000 yards shows only one yard in California that has the style he is searching for.)

"At this moment, I don't have that design in my inventory, but I can still fulfil your request for help by providing you information about another yard that has the design of mirrors you are seeking. Let me know when you are ready to copy the info and I'll provide it."

".... .... You don't have any parts for Chrysler 200?"

"That's incorrect. I do have parts for the Chrysler 200. But I do not have the exact design of door mirror you said you have been searching for. But as requested, I can help you by providing you information of someone who does have that particular mirror."

".... .... (begins adopting an aggressive tone) So are you able to help me with my mirrors or not?"

"As I have been saying, I CAN HELP by providing you information of a salvage yard that shows to have a used mirror of the design you want in their inventory, just let me know when you have penci..."

".... (tone gets even more aggressive) No, that's okay, you don't have it, you can't help me, and you're wasting my time. I'll call somewhere else." -- CLICK --

WTF you mean I wasn't trying to help? And why the attitude as I'm being pleasant? Oh wheel, As we say in the south, "Bless your ever lovin little heart!"

NEXT!

Conversations like this happen all too often here at the yard. And like Rich's sellers, makes me very worried about the downhill slide of our culture.

Mike: "Thanks for calling Denton Truck and Auto Parts, how can I help you?"

Customer: "I need door mirrors to fit my 2015 Chrysler 200. I've been calling around and no one has the design options I need, and I really need your help finding some."
"Okay, tell me if your door mirrors have these options...." (we go through list and narrow down from 8 potential choices to the design he has and needs. The search of my inventory shows none available in my yard, nor the yards that I am immediately connected to. The Car-Part.com search of over 3000 yards shows only one yard in California that has the style he is searching for.)

"At this moment, I don't have that design in my inventory, but I can still fulfil your request for help by providing you information about another yard that has the design of mirrors you are seeking. Let me know when you are ready to copy the info and I'll provide it."

".... .... You don't have any parts for Chrysler 200?"
"That's incorrect. I do have parts for the Chrysler 200. But I do not have the exact design of door mirror you said you have been searching for. But as requested, I can help you by providing you information of someone who does have that particular mirror."

".... .... (begins adopting an aggressive tone) So are you able to help me with my mirrors or not?"
"As I have been saying, I CAN HELP by providing you information of a salvage yard that shows to have a used mirror of the design you want in their inventory, just let me know when you have penci..."

".... (tone gets even more aggressive) No, that's okay, you don't have it, you can't help me, and you're wasting my time. I'll call somewhere else." -- CLICK --

WTF you mean I wasn't trying to help? And why the attitude as I'm being pleasant? Oh wheel, As we say in the south, "Bless your ever lovin little heart!"

NEXT!

I think one of the problems is that, with increasing reliability of cars and decreasing number of people who turn wrenches, you have an increasing number of people who don't maintain their cars (at all) and then when something seemingly minor breaks, they don't want to pay the dealer or a body shop to fix it right. So then they call up junkyards, don't understand how any of this stuff works to search for it on their own, and then don't get how the process works so the person didn't even understand enough to realize you were trying to help him/her/it.

Of course, people can also just be jerks.

I think one of the problems is that, with increasing reliability of cars and decreasing number of people who turn wrenches, you have an increasing number of people who don't maintain their cars (at all) and then when something seemingly minor breaks, they don't want to pay the dealer or a body shop to fix it right. So then they call up junkyards, don't understand how any of this stuff works to search for it on their own, and then don't get how the process works so the person didn't even understand enough to realize you were trying to help him/her/it.

Of course, people can also just be jerks.
And adding to what you said.... Them thinking that if their part has a oem retail price north of $500, I will be willing to sell the one I have for less than $30.00, not caring that I need much more for that to cover overhead and remain in business.

What price range were you looking at?

Bought and sold many things on CL. Recently sold my BMW to a very intelligent and well spoken young man who did a ton of research on the car and knew exactly what he was looking for. We respectfully negotiated a fair price and it was an effortless transaction. However...that was after weeding through all the idiots who wanted to trade for 420 and "things that go bang." It is what it is. :)

And adding to what you said.... Them thinking that if their part has a oem retail price north of $500, I will be willing to sell the one I have for less than $30.00, not caring that I need much more for that to cover overhead and remain in business.

There's a lot of that as well. The flood of cheap goods in all realms leaves people thinking that everything should be free, or close to it.

Funny thing - I'm looking at buying a new shift knob for the Ram to go with the shorter shift lever. One of my friends was sending me links to ones and I said "Those don't cost enough." I was only half joking - he was sending me $10, $15 shift knobs. I'm looking at spending more like $75, because that's what it costs to get a quality Momo shift knob that has high quality leather, feels perfect, etc.

Sometimes and for some things, you can find a Chinese knock-off brand new, of sufficient quality, for a low price. For example, my Excursion I was able to buy brand new mirrors from eBay stupidly cheap. Of course, they made millions of Excursion/F-250/F-350/F-whatever50s and I wasn't the first one to need a new mirror. But on the whole, you get what you pay for.

and tonight I get

We received a request to reset the password associated with this e-mail address. If you made this request, please follow the instructions below.

Click the link below to reset your password using our secure server:

If you did not request to have your password reset you can safely ignore this email. Rest assured your customer account is safe.

If clicking the link doesn't seem to work, you can copy and paste the link into your browser's address window, or retype it there. Once you have returned to Amazon.com, we will give instructions for resetting your password.

Amazon.com will never e-mail you and ask you to disclose or verify your Amazon.com password, credit card, or banking account number. If you receive a suspicious e-mail with a link to update your account information, do not click on the link--instead, report the e-mail to Amazon.com for investigation. Thanks for visiting Amazon.com!

r.html

I'd delete that link right away if I were you.

Rich

Last edited:
Swing and miss, since they reprogrammed my entire portfolio (hijacked my account). Like I said, Ebay did bubkis, and PayPal worse. Your time will come, you can count on it.

eBay's and PayPal's responses aside, the fact that both companies accepted profile changes to your accounts actually tilts the odds slightly in favor of it having been done via remote access malware on and operating through your computer, or by someone who had gained access to your user name / password combinations (for example, by using a keylogger).

As an aside, stealing stored logins is pretty easy even without a keylogger if the user is using the Password Manager built into Firefox (or any of its forks) without a Master Password. In that scenario, half of North Korea's 6-year-olds could write malware that would harvest all of the user's saved logins because both the encrypted logins and the decryption key are stored in the user profile.

If this was recent, you may want to have your computer checked out by someone skilled in malware detection and removal.

Rich

It always amuses me when I get an email stating that my VISA debit card has been locked and I need to call this number and give them the information again to unlock it.

I don't have a debit card....

I'd delete the link in your quotation of Tom's post right away if I were you.

I thought munged it. It errored out when I tested it. It's deleted now, in any case. Thanks.

Rich

If anyone has a 1988-1994 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 with a 5 speed manual in good running shape for 3-4K I am in the market...

been scouring CL and ebay

If anyone has a 1988-1994 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 with a 5 speed manual in good running shape for 3-4K I am in the market...
been scouring CL and ebay
check facebook group Diesel Performance Yard Sale?

Back