The Roast of Ryanb

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
This evening I went out for a quick flight to test my jerry-rigged audio/video setup that I've been trying to put together for awhile. Without having a GoPro and proper audio cables to get video footage, I improvised by wedging a tripod into the seat back pocket and extending the third leg onto the floor board of the airplane for some stability. I then attached my Nikon D3200 onto the screw-on mount of the tripod. The intercom audio turned out remarkably better than I anticipated. It was captured by placing the microphone of the Apple EarPods' into my David Clark H10-13S ear cup and recording into Voice Memo's on my iPhone. So, after figuring out the best way to pair all of this up, I decided to grab a 152 and go out for a short flight to test it out. I'm quite pleased with results, so expect more to come soon!

You'll notice that the camera fell off to the right during the takeoff and climb phase of this flight, but I tried to adjust it once I was able to. On the next round, I'll try to modify the tripod placement a bit better to achieve a better video.

*I have accepted the high probability of getting roasted by sharing this footage on POA.*

Last edited:
looked like you were locked on from the minute u turned final. nice landing! man I'm bad at this roasting thing.....

Looked super to me Ryan!

judge-clipart-sign-1.jpg

^^^^ And here weeeeeeeeee gooooooooo! Again. :D

I have never allowed motion picture cameras in my aircraft. They remind me of what Woody Hayes said about passing the football. Only three things can happen, and two of them are bad.

I have to admit, when I saw the title I wondered what Ryan B would taste like. Probably need a little hot sauce.

Last edited:
I'm glad you made all those extra radio calls to test the side tone getting picked up my the mic in your ear cup. Once I heard you had resuscitated the air speed I was looking forward to ATITAPA.

I'm glad you made all those extra radio calls to test the side tone getting picked up my the mic in your ear cup. Once I heard you had resuscitated the air speed I was looking forward to ATITAPA.
Such as?

I was referring to a thread (or 12 ) on an aviation forum about the need to make all the position calls when you're the only plane operating at a non-towered field.

I was referring to a thread (or 12 ) on an aviation forum about the need to make all the position calls when you're the only plane operating at a non-towered field.

But how do you know you're the only plane if you don't end each call with ATITAPA?

You DON'T! That's why that addendum is so intrinsically important to the safety of flight!

I make them because I like to hear myself.

Well you asked for it:

1. Too far ahead of the airplane throughout the flight. When you're this far ahead, you forget where you're at.
2. Situational awareness - constantly being aware unimportant things like wind direction, airspeed.and altitude is a distraction from actually flying the plane.
3. Stabilized approach and landings are for student pilots. A good pilot maintains cruise speed on the downwind and flies a much larger pattern.
4. Failed to do an over-head break when there could have been someone watching. When flying the pattern you must never forget to amaze and impress those on the ground.
5. Pilot voice did not emote the real tension and drama associated with this type of risky landing.
6. Probably should have aborted the landing when you saw the runway was only 50 feet wide. Just because you can take off on it, doesn't mean you should land there.

Frankly, a rather disappointing performance. I hope your CFI doesn't see this vid.

Well you asked for it:

1. Too far ahead of the airplane throughout the flight. When you're this far ahead, you forget where you're at.
2. Situational awareness - constantly being aware unimportant things like wind direction, airspeed.and altitude is a distraction from actually flying the plane.
3. Stabilized approach and landings are for student pilots. A good pilot maintains cruise speed on the downwind and flies a much larger pattern.
4. Failed to do an over-head break when there could have been someone watching. When flying the pattern you must never forget to amaze and impress those on the ground.
5. Pilot voice did not emote the real tension and drama associated with this type of risky landing.
6. Probably should have aborted the landing when you saw the runway was only 50 feet wide. Just because you can take off on it, doesn't mean you should land there.

Frankly, a rather disappointing performance. I hope your CFI doesn't see this vid.
I take your harsh criticism seriously and will improve on those things. Thank you!

:D

Well you asked for it:

Tough audience eh Ryan? That was good by @Lndwarrior.

Does it always get dark that fast there???

For what amounts to an ingenious rube goldberg audio/video setup, this was excellent! Two thumbs up (I'd give you three, but I only have two thumbs).

Trivia: Rube Goldberg graduated from UC Berkeley with a B.S. in engineering.

For what amounts to an ingenious rube goldberg audio/video setup, this was excellent! Two thumbs up (I'd give you three, but I only have two thumbs).

Trivia: Rube Goldberg graduated from UC Berkeley with a B.S. in engineering.
Appreciate it, Stan. A Rube Goldberg setup is a great analogy for it! :)

You said you were looking for 60 on final. I assume that final was the last place you saw them? Did you find them eventually? All 60 or just some? Did you check under the seat cushions?

Back