The road to CFI....

Chrisj13

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisj13
Several years ago I started studying to become a CFI, but to be quite honest the amount of material seemed overwhelming. I printed out every task, printed out the reference materials relative to those tasks, and made quite a few lesson plans. In the end, I had 3 huge binders of material. I looked at it all on the table, said "How in the hell am I going to learn all of this?!" and put it in the closet.
Now, I need to get serious about it. I'm on the downhill side of a Masters degree, and will soon have the time to devote to it. My question is: How did you all (who are CFI's) go about studying ALL this material? Solo? With a friend? I'll be doing this 100% part 61, and it seems to me that a college class is really the only sane way to do it. Any advice or input? I think it's just gonna take a massive amount of time and dedication...what say you?

One bite at a time.

You don't have to know everything. You have to know where to find everything.

Other techniques: hang out at your flight school and have folks ask you questions.

You have a college background,it should not be too difficult.you could go to A part 141 school,get the ticket then continue to study and refine your teaching skills. Or break the tasks down into pieces,and treat them like different classes,like college.

I taught lessons to my mom. She has absolutely no aviation background. I taught her basic aerodynamics, airplane systems, weather theory, etc. If you can get someone who has no aviation background to understand what you're saying then you are making progress. Study material wise, I really only used the Airplane Flying Handbook, Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Aviation Instructor's Handbook. I looked the PTS and mad sure I included everything in lesson plans. The CFI is not about how you fly, it's about how you teach. Good luck!

Granted, it is the most difficult oral exams of them all. But remember that it's about teaching and that means information transfer. Concentrate on how you connect with people and how you effectively get concepts from your head into theirs.

Another thing that helps on the flight training side; ride back seat with other instructors that you admire and watch their teaching styles. And remember that being a great pilot does not automatically mean that one is a great instructor. They're two completely different skill sets.

Much of what I studied wasn't exactly part of a "become a CFI" pack, most of the FOI stuff was off Wikipedia, all the airspace, systems, etc you should already know as a IFR CPL.

Biggest help for me was tutoring PPL students for free.

You can't know everything, and if you think you do you're wrong. As a CFI you have a wealth of sources for information at your disposal. Knowing where to look for a particular subject/question is key. If one of my students asks a question I can't answer, we'll either look it up together or I will research it and get back to him.

Training for a CFI may seem overwhelming but it's not really. Being able to communicate clearly, maintain an even disposition, and being honest with students are among many important traits of a CFI. Lots of online courses (Gleim, Sportys, AOPA etc) available. Formal courses at Part 141 schools, Part 61 CFIs at local airports, and colleges with flight programs. All these avenues lead to a CFI. I would think if you have a BS and a Masters you wouldn't have a problem with CFI training. Just do it!

Last edited:
Much of what I studied wasn't exactly part of a "become a CFI" pack, most of the FOI stuff was off Wikipedia, all the airspace, systems, etc you should already know as a IFR CPL.

Biggest help for me was tutoring PPL students for free.

Same here.

Don't do what I did! I've wanted to be a CFI since I got my PPL in 1970.

I'm starting next Monday (age 63). Learning (and especially memorizing) new stuff does not get easier as time passes!

Not fer nuthin...but if you have a Masters why would you want to waste your time being a CFI?

I ask that as a current CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP.

Not fer nuthin...but if you have a Masters why would you want to waste your time being a CFI?

Valid question....

Options. One can never have too many open doors. And I think it would be fun to do BFR's and stuff.

Look through the PTSes, read the source material (AFH, PHAK, AC's), make lesson plans, and practice teaching from them. If you feel stuck, get with a CFI and they will push you along.

Because you love teaching and flying. At least that was my reason.

I hold a MS and am currently working on a second.

Just wow....

Didn't you leave?

I have a J.D. And CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP. All have their rewards and are worthwhile.

I have a J.D. And CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP. All have their rewards and are worthwhile.

And you're flying a jet now which I think was a goal you never thought would occur.

To the OP - Everything one does in life to pursue a dream is worth it. I was out of flying for 31 years and would look up every time I heard a prop plane. Never thought I would fly again. As the phrase that was popular done years ago: Just DO It!!!! Good luck.

J.D.? Jet Degree?

Seriously, it's cool the OP wants a CFI. I wasn't trying to talk him out of it, I just honestly don't get it. As far as making money goes I'd think a Masters would go a lot further. Life isn't only about making money, I know...but for me it'd make more sense to use the Masters to fund the flying.

Whatever, I suppose there's some also that enjoy imparting knowledge too. Me, well no body listens to me anyway...

:)

Unless your master's is in a hard science of some kind, or an in-residence MBA from a major business school then it's really not worth a lot in the private sector.

And you're flying a jet now which I think was a goal you never thought would occur.

To the OP - Everything one does in life to pursue a dream is worth it. I was out of flying for 31 years and would look up every time I heard a prop plane. Never thought I would fly again. As the phrase that was popular done years ago: Just DO It!!!! Good luck.

Definitely true. And the CFI was key to ultimately opening that door.

Unless your master's is in a hard science of some kind, or an in-residence MBA from a major business school then it's really not worth a lot in the private sector.

That

Many masters degrees ain't exactly a high ROI piece of paper.

OP, you can try taking just a few lesson plans you have and teach those. Then once you're getting comfortable teaching those subjects, start adding more of your lesson plans. Also, as you teach each lesson you may find you can improve your lesson plan in some way, and the next time you teach it, it will be even better.

This place cracks me up. Looks like we've established he's an idiot for wanting to get the rating and his Master's degree is worthless. :rofl:

To the OP, life is short, if you want to be a CFI go for it!

This place cracks me up. Looks like we've established he's an idiot for wanting to get the rating and his Master's degree is worthless. :rofl:

To the OP, life is short, if you want to be a CFI go for it!

A lot of truth to that in this forum...:lol::lol::lol:

Some people think a college degree makes you smart and don't understand that a degree is really a door opener. And those people that think this way usually did not finish college.

I did criminal justice. I never had any intention to be in law enforcement.

Lots of good advice here, and I thank each of you for that. My work is cut out for me, time to get after it!

I went to a CFI academy. Several of the national schools have them. Obviously there are pros & cons to this and each school, however; as so many have said, it's about teaching the material. At an academy you get to learn and teach the material to a classroom full of people. It's about the knowledge and confidence to present it in a way thats appropriate for the student. Yes, FIO in FAA speak (RUAC anyone?) can be a shock to a pilot, but it's good stuff and will become much more relevant once you teach. Good luck, it's a fun ticket to earn and very rewarding.

Several years ago I started studying to become a CFI, but to be quite honest the amount of material seemed overwhelming. I printed out every task, printed out the reference materials relative to those tasks, and made quite a few lesson plans. In the end, I had 3 huge binders of material. I looked at it all on the table, said "How in the hell am I going to learn all of this?!" and put it in the closet.
Now, I need to get serious about it. I'm on the downhill side of a Masters degree, and will soon have the time to devote to it. My question is: How did you all (who are CFI's) go about studying ALL this material? Solo? With a friend? I'll be doing this 100% part 61, and it seems to me that a college class is really the only sane way to do it. Any advice or input? I think it's just gonna take a massive amount of time and dedication...what say you?

You either know how to instruct effectively, or you don't. The FOI is a complete joke. But I had a background of instructing martial arts, CAD, and giving golf lessons before I started flying. The only thing I studied was the BS rote crap for the FOI written. Other than that it was pretty easy for me. About 30 minutes into the oral the DPE said "well, it's obvious you know how to teach" before we even got to the lesson plan portion. The oral portion of my check-ride was shorter than my instrument or commercial.

Back