The REAL deal - an aviation vacation

Gorgeous. Perfect. I've had a beer though. So I'll just join everyone for dinner now and say:

Except for my not seeing the airport (and doing standard rate turns until I did just outside the delta airspace), I:

Make it WELL AHEAD of my estimated time.

Experienced some, but minimal, turbulence, and fought to keep my MH, Alt, RPM constant.

Kept track of every way point and consistently "beat" each estimate by 10 - 30 minutes.

Only logged 2.7 and it would have been less if I hadn't circled.

I promised myself I wouldn't look at the weather or worry about the trip back, so don't ruin it for me!

The fun guy at the school even texted to make sure I made it ok. Sticked the plane, 7-8 useable remaining, totally safe and sound.

Breathed a sigh of relief.
YAY! You dealt with all the issues and made it work.

A very nice woman at one of the flight schools in San Luis has been helping me.

She invited me to this and I'm hoping to go:

Kim,
I hope you do have a chance to come by and say "hi" - and congrats on taking that big step towards your first long x/c.

Our school is on the "westside" of the airport, over near the self-service fuel tank. But since you'll have a car, come by Saturday morning if you can around 1100. We have an open house every Saturday with complimentary coffee, donuts and sometimes fruit or other goodies. Local pilots come hang-out. Its a great way for the community to stay in touch and make friends. Our students often get opportunities to fly in Bonanzas, Mooneys, and other aircraft because these local pilots take them up on rides or let them tag along on trips.

Hope to meet you in person.

A very nice woman at one of the flight schools in San Luis has been helping me.

She invited me to this and I'm hoping to go:

When you start ditching long planned social and family obligations to go flying is a key indicator that you have an aviation problem. :nono::D

When you start ditching long planned social and family obligations to go flying is a key indicator that you have an aviation problem. :nono::D

Ditching?

Everyone was sitting around doing nothing. It is NOT my family. I went and came back and got tips from 8 local pilots about my departure climb out - it took me almost 10 nm to get to 5500 on the way here and I have to get to 6500 on the way back.

20 - 30 people in a house, everyone is going to do what they want to do. Period. Lots of other people had their own agendas and I wasn't ditching anyone.

Oh and I'm terrible with names - so - POA lurker who was at the meeting please PM me so I can thank you for the Garmin help! It was crazy when you stood up and said "are you Kimberly" ?

Woo hoo, you want to wait till Monday afternoon if you can and catch a tailwind home; from NOAA:

A WEAK FRONTAL SYSTEM WILL MOVE THROUGH THE NORTHERN WATERS ON SUNDAY. A STRONGER SYSTEM IS EXPECTED MOVE THROUGH THE AREA TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL INCREASE MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KMTR.html

I'd be looking to leave about 1:00pm. You'll have plenty of room between the clouds and showers in nice clear but bumpy air with killer ground speed. You'll save $100+ waiting for the wind to change from head to tail.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cg...rs_epac&prod=fl12&dtg=2012031100&set=Aviation

Last edited:
Regarding noise abatement;

Avoid power changes on base to final.
I can't imagine that a C150 would create any kind of noise problem at all! Noise from the Continental O-200 100-hp engine coming in 500 AGL at 1500 RPM is almost non-existent. I barely hear them taking off at full power when I'm on the airport.

Then again, I guess "noise" is in the ear of the beholder!

Woo hoo, you want to wait till Monday afternoon if you can and catch a tailwind home; from NOAA:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KMTR.html

I'd be looking to leave about 1:00pm. You'll have plenty of room between the clouds and showers in nice clear but bumpy air with killer ground speed. You'll save $100+ waiting for the wind to change from head to tail.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cg...rs_epac&prod=fl12&dtg=2012031100&set=Aviation

You are right. Called a briefer this morning, he didn't want me to fly, have watched ceilings all day, 1500 o/c at SLO and the local pilots tell me the smallest gap is 1500 (mountains), with 2,000 - 6,000 eventually on my route. I selected 4500 north but even then - all day ceilings have been in the 2's and 3's. Waiting to leave until tomorrow not only gives me more time to relax - but might save me some stress.

Ditching?

Everyone was sitting around doing nothing. It is NOT my family. I went and came back and got tips from 8 local pilots about my departure climb out - it took me almost 10 nm to get to 5500 on the way here and I have to get to 6500 on the way back.

20 - 30 people in a house, everyone is going to do what they want to do. Period. Lots of other people had their own agendas and I wasn't ditching anyone.

Kim,

You are in denial! The addiction is further advanced than I thought!

No worries though, you are among fellow addicts.:D

Sounds like you had a great weekend.

Back