The Queen is Dead

I am British…and American by naturalization and I Identify as such…I loved the Queen and truly believe Charles is an Idiot…the Royal family is good for the bottom line of the GDP of Britain. Some complaints about taxes used for some support but in reality minimal compared to a U.S. Presidency, and the billions generated from Americans alone looking for the Royal experience is phenomenal.
Was in England till three days ago and now in Rome may just return and pay my respects…

She was trained as a Mechanic in the ATS (British WAC). On occasion she would tinker with a broken down royal vehicle.
upload_2022-9-9_15-13-10.jpeg

I am British…and American by naturalization and I Identify as such…I loved the Queen and truly believe Charles is an Idiot…the Royal family is good for the bottom line of the GDP of Britain. Some complaints about taxes used for some support but in reality minimal compared to a U.S. Presidency, and the billions generated from Americans alone looking for the Royal experience is phenomenal.
Was in England till three days ago and now in Rome may just return and pay my respects…

Charles has too much of his uncle in him. I think that the sooner the crown is passed to William, the better. William has the servant heart that his grandmother had and what Charles lacks.

Similar to #Dana statement in listening to the coverage on a long drive yesterday I gained some new perspective. Though I agree right now would be a great time to end the royal family, but the positive I realized and hadn’t before that with her even handedness and long reign the great sounding board and private advice giver she was able to be for the prime ministers. She evidently met w them weekly and it was held like a priest hold the secrecy of the confessional. What an asset to a politician of any stripe… she would have been able to say “cool your jets grasshopper I’ve seen a lot, let’s think this through….” That’s an asset for a leader to have the highest level of insight dating back long before their political term and the Crisis of the moment.

however that can’t be offered by just any royal…it was a temporary gift she alone really could bring the British… So I don’t see the value of the position from here forward, but she herself did seem to ne a true national asset for them.
Reports are that she was very unhappy with apartheid in South Africa and did what she could, which wasn’t much in public, behind the scenes over the years, to encourage ending the practice.

Reports are that she was very unhappy with apartheid in South Africa and did what she could, which wasn’t much in public, behind the scenes over the years, to encourage ending the practice.

That’s the problem with being a figurehead. Margaret Thatcher was completely opposed to pressuring SA to end it

As a former poster here posted on a different board - King Charles III will now rename the Royal Mail. It will now be the Charles III Post Office - C3PO.

I was rather surprised at how Charles has come across in his recent statements. I always thought he was kind of an idiot, but somewhere along the line he seems to have acquired some gravitas, something I never thought could happen. So maybe he'll be OK? Someone joked that the Queen lasted as long as she did because she didn't have anyone to succeed her; I opined that maybe she waited until Charles was ready, however long that took.

I was rather surprised at how Charles has come across in his recent statements. I always thought he was kind of an idiot, but somewhere along the line he seems to have acquired some gravitas, something I never thought could happen. So maybe he'll be OK? Someone joked that the Queen lasted as long as she did because she didn't have anyone to succeed her; I opined that maybe she waited until Charles was ready, however long that took.

Yeah, it's amazing what a difference handlers can make, isn't it? Did you see his frustrations with a leaky fountain pen?

I always figured QE's last words would be to point at Charles and say "Off with his head." I'm sure she would have stepped down 20 years ago if she thought Chuck was capable.

Yeah, it's amazing what a difference handlers can make, isn't it? Did you see his frustrations with a leaky fountain pen?

Yeah, that was kind of embarrassing. Even Camilla looked embarrassed. So maybe it really was all the handlers.

Judy

Yeah, that was kind of embarrassing. Even Camilla looked embarrassed. So maybe it really was all the handlers.

Judy

Bit of trivia...

He carries a Mont Blanc fountain pen (QE always used Parker’s, usually a model 51 or a Duofold) and he had been on several flights that day. I don’t carry my own Mont Blanc on planes, as it will leak due to pressure changes. When I want to bring along a fountain pen, I take a cartridge style pen and carry it empty, plugging in a cartridge when I arrive.

I’d bet that’s what happened to Chuck and he didn’t realize it. He should have emptied his pen before flying, but monarchs probably don’t take care of their own pens. Or much of anything else, for that matter.

Yes, I’m a pen nerd.

Back