The "Pink Shirts" - how ATC works at AirVenture

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
Back in July at AirVenture 2019, I was invited to tour the tower at Oshkosh on Monday, right after they reopened after the very wet first weekend. Had an opportunity to talk to tower controllers, as well as some of the FAA people in the other exhibits next to the tower.

If you want to kill some time waiting for AirVenture 2020, maybe you'll enjoy this video.

- Martin

Martin:

Love your vids. Keep ‘em coming!

I thought she was very generous when talking about us pilots, lol.
(I guess that's what PR people do!)
Good vid, thanks for posting.

I thought she was very generous when talking about us pilots, lol.
(I guess that's what PR people do!)
Yeah, I would love to be a fly on the wall of the bar where the Oshkosh controllers talk about us pilots after AirVenture - probably not only praise for our skills and preparedness! :D

- Martin

In 1992, I hit my first Oshkosh. I was there with Paul Bertorelli and he introduced me to a couple of controllers that were some of his contributors. I got to go in the (old) tower and also out to Fisk. We had a great hour or so helping identify various types (homebuilt and others) so the controllers could call them by the right names. I was glad I got to do that. It made things easier the first time I had to fly in to have seen it from the controller's side.

Nice video, happy to see that the controllers love us.

Yeah, I would love to be a fly on the wall of the bar where the Oshkosh controllers talk about us pilots after AirVenture ...
Actually, I had a controller friend who went to OSH every year as a supervisor. She had hilarious stories, mostly about what happened on their side of the microphone. One of them I remember ended: " ... and then he completely lost it. I took the mic and got things straightened out." She was absolutely amazing; superhero disguised as a middle-aged suburban housewife.

Back