The perfect weekend warrior plane!

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
In your opinion, what is your perfect weekend warrior plane? Why?

7ECA or other small taildragger.

It's fun, tuff, simple, can be put on floats or skis or tundras, low fuel burn, two seater which is all most actually need, and keeps your eyes outside.

Depends on what you mean by "Weekend Warrior"
????

Need more info on the mission . Just too many good choices out there.

If u mean the pilot is a weekend warrior, I say something 'slow' and not complex. If u mean a plane for weekend trips, too many variables.

Cub, motorglider, Biplane, or something on floats, something fun. If it is a weekend toy, have a toy and not a make believe go somewhere plane.

Pitts S1. :yes:
BTW, keep the speed up...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

It's fun, tuff, simple, can be put on floats or skis or tundras, low fuel burn, two seater which is all most actually need, and keeps your eyes outside.

I support this post.

P51 Mustang? Spitfire? How else can you fight a war? :dunno:

I wasn't aware I'm not allowed to fly my Warrior on weekdays.......crap

:D

I own the perfect weekend warrior plane. I used to own my second choice. Depending on what happens with 3rd class medical reform I'll likely build another Cub and say bye-bye to medical certification.

Why is my 180 my perfect plane? It goes fast enough, far enough, slow enough, it's comfortable, roomy, and packs a good load. It's been a good float plane, a good ski plane, and a great wheel plane. I had the -12 on floats, wheel skis, and big tires, too. Good fun, but when it came to choosing? I picked the 180.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I own the perfect weekend warrior plane. I used to own my second choice. Depending on what happens with 3rd class medical reform I'll likely build another Cub and say bye-bye to medical certification.

Why is my 180 my perfect plane? It goes fast enough, far enough, slow enough, it's comfortable, roomy, and packs a good load. It's been a good float plane, a good ski plane, and a great wheel plane. I had the -12 on floats, wheel skis, and big tires, too. Good fun, but when it came to choosing? I picked the 180.

Yes! The 180 for sure!

Bingo. At this point in my flying, I'd be thrilled if my partners would agree to sell the Mooney for a Citabria or Decathlon.

Not as much interested in going places these days, more interested in poking holes in the sky and looking at cows, etc.

My Skybolt when its done, circa 201?.

Open cockpit - yes
2 place - yes
acro machine - yes

Fun planes should have and even number of wings, and four is too many. :D

Totally second this. The reason I bought my Luscombe. I fly bigger and faster equipment on instrument plans all the time, but the little taildragger is just a blast to fly, and keeps my basic skills sharp too. There's just something about low and slow with an almost nonexistant panel. Get one with an electrical system and radio/Mode C transponder, and they can suffice for the occasional weekend trip too.

Can you put two humans (Americans) in a 7ECA with full fuel? I can't keep all those citabria models straight...

Can you put two humans (Americans) in a 7ECA with full fuel? I can't keep all those citabria models straight...

Not usually, a typical ECA is going to be around 950 to 1000 pounds empty, has a 1400 pound GW and carries 26 gallons so that leaves you with 250 - 290 pounds to play with. But for just punching holes in the sky or a Sunday burger run you don't need four hours of fuel on board. Even solo you need to upgrade the seat because they originally came with a one hour seat cushion anyway.

In your opinion, what is your perfect weekend warrior plane? Why?
I've pretty much been a club member or renter for my 20 years of flying as a weekend warrior. IMO, the perfect weekend warrior plane is whichever of those available to me which performs that weekend's mission best. Might be a light sport one weekend and a Bonanza the next.

Sonex Onex.

Maybe I'll build one some day, but probably not.

PA28-180 Just a good all around airplane. Same for a C180, or c170, or pa28140, or Cub, or airknocker, or..... They will all fit the bill for a "weekend warrior". But some may serve better in other rolls as well.

I trained quite a few folks in those planes, never had a problem, not sure what "Americans" means, if you're talking fatties, I flew trained normal human sized men in the 7ECAs.

I trained quite a few folks in those planes, never had a problem, not sure what "Americans" means, if you're talking fatties, I flew trained normal human sized men in the 7ECAs.

I guess you have to weigh >200lbs to be an American...:dunno:.

F-15C for me! All the airline guys call the ANG "Weekend Warriors" (even though that's anything but true).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back