The Orville - moving to Hulu for next season

Fox dumped it? I only ever saw it on Hulu, so a win for me. I liked the show. I called it "Trek Lite"

Fox dumped it? I only ever saw it on Hulu, so a win for me. I liked the show. I called it "Trek Lite"
Not exactly a dump er the article. I liked the show a lot better during Season 2. Season 1 was strange. Trek Lite is a good name. It is lighter and less serious.

The Orville was good, but if I was given the chance to choose between it and Firefly getting a season 2 and 3...
If I had to choose between a root canal and 10 minutes of Seth MacFarlane I'd head to the dentist.

Nauga,
who does like Firefly

I enjoyed it - thought they had some really creative stories last season that resulted in at least 2 excellent episodes. This is a bummer as I watch so little TV anymore. Accessing content has become such a time and money suck.

I will preface this by saying I've enjoyed the show, especially in contrast to what they've done with the new Star Trek series. I'll probably keep watching, but one thing that has bugged me in the past season is that it's become a little too predictable, the same basic jokes get repeated a lot and there have been multiple episodes where I called out the entire basic plot of the episode after watching the first minute.

I appreciate people who have the stomach . . . guts . . . to watch the show. I can't.

Another move of something to yet another streaming service. Getting tired of the fragmentation.

We all should have seen it coming but all we all really wanted was true a la carte channel selection on OUR TV provider.

Now we have a multiple provider pile of crap for streaming that’ll cost more than the old cable bill.

Another move of something to yet another streaming service. Getting tired of the fragmentation.

We all should have seen it coming but all we all really wanted was true a la carte channel selection on OUR TV provider.

Now we have a multiple provider pile of crap for streaming that’ll cost more than the old cable bill.
Yup. Some of the streaming services would cost me more than what I used to pay for tv and internet.

I think there is some of that going on, but as streaming devices get better, a la carte tv series may become more commonplace. The issue currently is that there is a bit of legwork involved in locating which service has a particular movie/tv series, and then you need to have a subscription to that service. They need to evolve to the point where the Amazon Fire Stick (or whatever hardware) can present all of the tv shows/movies you search for and subscribe/purchase that individual show or tv series without having a monthly subscription to the carrier. So if I want to watch GoT, I can just purchase a single episode, or a single season, or the entire collection without having to subscribe to HBO Go. For some people who watch a lot of tv and a slew of different tv shows, it may end up being more expensive than the cable/internet package they had before. For people like myself and my wife, we probably only watch one or two shows at any one time, so the investment is still minimal.

I have watched a few episodes of the Orville, and got some chuckles out of it. I was never able to watch several episodes in close succession, so each time I catch it on tv, it's usually 10-minutes into the show and I have to relearn who the main characters are. I have also never seen an episode of Firefly or GoT.

I watched the first season, but they got rid of my favorite character (security officer), so stop watching.

Tom

I think there is some of that going on, but as streaming devices get better, a la carte tv series may become more commonplace.

They won’t. The content providers refuse to “unbundle” their non-profitable channels from their profitable ones.

Example: ESPN forced everyone to take and distribute ESPN2 last year in negotiations with carriers. Those who only wanted ESPN main, no dice.

The content providers are in control now and you MUST take the six extra channels they cram all day Informercials into most of their “broadcast day” so they can tell their customers that they showed the ad X number of times.

It’s totally screwed right now. And will get worse. Every contract renegotiation is a fight.

And you have idiot content owners like we have in Denver. A long time “four team” (we don’t count soccer but ok five) pro team city.

Altitude and AT&T SportsNet are owned by old ass cable people. They have yet to make ANY streaming deals. Even AT&T owning DirectTV Now, no AT&T SportsNet available on streaming.

You literally can’t watch NHL or MLB streaming on ANY platform in Denver. It’s OTA (less games) or cable or a satellite company. That’s IT.

The morons that own both networks don’t even know what streaming is.

People in areas where their MLB or NHL are on a major regional sports network are lucky. Those are usually picked up by streaming operators.

We get... zilch. Can’t watch them at all.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t confirm, but I think Amazon will let you buy a season of a show. Depending on the provider it may release episodes right after they air or at the end of the season. If you can be patient that’s a good alternative.

Eh, I'm pretty content with OTA, SlingTV, and Amazon Prime. Although I don't watch more than a few channels on SlingTV, and the kiddos cartoons are all on Amazon Prime or PBS Kids (free). We have Amazon Prime due to the shipping, so that's essentially zero-cost for us. SlingTV also pairs up the OTA stations in its TV-guide, so we really only flip between Sling and Amazon using the FireStick HD. Essentially, our cable was replaced by $20 worth of add-ons. Cable was $50 for the basic package, so we save a good deal of money not having basic cable, much less some upgraded package that takes the cost way up. For those that have to have Netflix, Sling, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go, etc. all concurrently, I'm sure the cost can exceed the prior cable subscription.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t confirm, but I think Amazon will let you buy a season of a show. Depending on the provider it may release episodes right after they air or at the end of the season. If you can be patient that’s a good alternative.

They do, but not for every show, and not every provider. It's hit an miss. Even so, I think eventually (years down the road), there will be more acceptance of the a la carte services.

They do, but not for every show, and not every provider. It's hit an miss. Even so, I think eventually (years down the road), there will be more acceptance of the a la carte services.
I'm usually happy to pay for a season of a show to Amazon rather than have to add another monthly subscription... but sometimes that doesn't work so I have to consider sailing the seven seas.

Back