The one thing I wish someone told me when I was a student

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Simple rules of this thread one line with maybe an explanation for students to skim through.

I wish I was told to wear a shirt with a pocket and put the plane's keys in the shirt pocket.

It was always embarrassing to sit in the plane and have to squirm to get eh keys out of my jeans pocket.

If there is something in your ground school that doesn't click, ask for it to be demonstrated in the air. This brings context to the learning and I find that very useful to retaining the item.

Instead of doing a ground school review, instead take the approach of teaching it to the instructor. You will find out how much you don't know.

Don’t be afraid of ****ing off ATC. They exist to provide a service to pilots. Don’t intentionally **** them off on the radio, but on these forums it’s fair game.

But also remember that you aren't the ONLY pilot they are providing service to and what goes around, comes around. ;)

Taking lessons sporadically and infrequently is a waste of money. If you don't have money to spare, or simply want to get the most value for your dollar, don't start until you're reasonably sure you have the time and money to fly at least twice a week consistently with your CFI, and maybe one or two more times additionally per week solo once you've been signed off, until you are ready for your checkride.

It's times like this I wish I had listened to what my mother told me when I was little.

“no no, young eman, some people CHOOSE to fly high wings.....”

c89d798f7d50a28e35ce58099df9340d.jpg

Taking lessons sporadically and infrequently is a waste of money. If you don't have money to spare, or simply want to get the most value for your dollar, don't start until you're reasonably sure you have the time and money to fly at least twice a week consistently with your CFI, and maybe one or two more times additionally per week solo once you've been signed off, until you are ready for your checkride.
What if the weather is the issue and not money?!... :)

Simple rules of this thread one line with maybe an explanation for students to skim through.

I wish I was told to wear a shirt with a pocket and put the plane's keys in the shirt pocket.

It was always embarrassing to sit in the plane and have to squirm to get eh keys out of my jeans pocket.

I have my students place the key on top the glare shield so you can see approaching from the front of the airplane the key is not in the switch.

Last edited:
Spend more time on engine mechanics and the chemistry that makes our airplanes go

90% of what I know about aircraft engines comes from my brother and dad who are engineers.. one at Pratt

most people get their private pilot license and have no real idea what a stoichiometric mixture is or how the rich to lean curve affects engine performance and overall dynamics

this is proven by the countless the threads and questions people ask about whether or not they should lean at high altitude airports etc

...also, less focus on rote memorization and mechanical items that involve a 45-minute run up.. people should be taught more to have an overall understanding and feel for the airplane

Meh. It’s not a waste of time. It’s not efficient or cost effective but not a waste of time.

And that also breaks the seat. Aircraft seats (until the mid-90s) are notoriously light and weak things. Try lifting a legacy 172 seat someday, then lift a bucket seat from a car. Huge difference. I have found seat frames bent, cracked, and broken numerous times, often from people trying to straighten out to get the keys out of a pocket.

this is proven by the countless the threads and questions people ask about whether or not they should lean at high altitude airports etc

Amd the number of folks who think that carb ice is a wintertime thing.

Amd the number of folks who think that carb ice is a wintertime thing.
Or what carb heat actually does.. and why ice occurs, that goes beyond one schematic in a handbook that most don't actually comprehend

Read "stick and rudder" early in your training, or even before you start

It definitely would've helped me understand some concepts sooner, but by the time I picked it up I had learned them the hard way.

Now, heaping praise on the ercoup, and calling elevators "flippers"......

Always pull the chocks before taxi.

Quit bringing up my instrument checkride! LOL.

At least I recognized it instantly and didn’t taxi over the damn thing. Ha.

Shut down, unbuckle, get out and pull it, get back in, rebuckle, say I’ll start the checklist from the beginning to not miss anything ELSE with a chuckle...

Try not to notice DPE smirking... “Good decision.”

Don't assume your CFI will teach everything you need to know. You are responsible for finding out what you need and keeping track of it.

when you fly with another instructor for a check flight, or with the examiner
don't let them fluster you when they tell you a different way of doing something than what your instructor has taught you.
They'll tell you stuff and it'll seem they are saying "you're doing it wrong". Something such as what power setting to go for abeam the numbers.
They probably aren't meaning you are doing it wrong. Just consider what they have to say, don't get rattled.

Flight instructors are super young for the most part and age really is not that impressive or important to teaching...If your cfi gets irritated with any maneuvers ask them to demonstrate....a little humility is important. Only instructor who called me on this and nailed the maneuver was my tailwheel cfi and he was 70ish 45 years older than any other i have had.

Back