The old man has a rant...

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
OK maybe I'm off base here, so feel free, (like anyone here would hold back), to let me know if I am just getting too sensitive in my old age. Friday I had a BFR. It was only the second one since I retired, and the first was with a guy about my age who had been a check pilot with a major carrier before he retired. Friday I was with a CFI who seemed extremely impressed with himself. The ground portion went fine, and he tried but could not poke a weak spot, but then noted that my current log book did not have a complex or HP endorsement in it, and said that without that we could not fly. I pointed out that the previous BFR was logged in that book, in the same airplane, and that that instructor had no issues with it. I asked him which FAR applied, adding that I considered all the logbooks I had as one volume, and that I could reschedule if it was a show stopper. He told me that he had "done a lot of BFRs, and all his clients had the proper endorsements" in their logs. He decided we could fly, but wanted to see my endorsement. When we got ready to launch I did what I always do before starting the engine, which is a "flight controls free and correct" check, because I feel if there is a problem, why turn it over? He asked what I was doing and when I told him he loftily told me "Well OK, but if you move to bigger planes you will need to follow the checklist exactly." I laughed, and told him I had 5800 hours in C130s..and asked how many he had in four engined transports. After that there wasn't anything I could do with out a sigh or small meaningless comment. I kept my mouth shut and flew, he signed me off without a comment and we parted ways. When I got home I called the FBO and spoke to the manager, telling him how awestruck I had been with the CFI. He told me he'd have a word with the guy. Anyway, I guess the point of my rant is, are all young CFIs carrying this attitude now? I seem to run into many who think they are God's gift to flight, or am I finally moved into the grumpy old man stage???

Last edited:
Most of them do, they're instructors, they know everything now with 250hrs, the FAA said so.

F. Gump's mama was right about the box of chocolates.

OK maybe I'm off base here, so feel free, (like anyone here would hold back), to let me know if I am just getting too sensitive in my old age. Friday I had a BFR. It was only the second one since I retired, and the first was with a guy about my age who had been a check pilot with a major carrier before he retired. Friday I was with a CFI who seemed extremely impressed with himself. The ground portion went fine, and he tried but could not poke a weak spot, but then noted that my current log book did not have a complex or HP endorsement in it, and said that without that we could not fly. I pointed out that the previous BFR was logged in that book, in the same airplane, and that that instructor had no issues with it. I asked him which FAR applied, adding that I considered all the logbooks I had as one volume, and that I could reschedule if it was a show stopper. He told me that he had "done a lot of BFRs, and all his clients had the proper endorsements" in their logs. He decided we could fly, but wanted to see my endorsement. When we got ready to launch I did what I always do before starting the engine, which is a "flight controls free and correct" check, because I feel if there is a problem, why turn it over? He asked what I was doing and when I told him he loftily told me "Well OK, but if you move to bigger planes you will need to follow the checklist exactly." I laughed, and told him I had 5800 hours in C130s..and asked how many he had in four engined transports. After that there wasn't anything I could do with out a sigh or small meaningless comment. I kept my mouth shut and flew, he signed me off without a comment and we parted ways. When I got home I called the FBO and spoke to the manager, telling him how awestruck I had been with the CFI. He told me he'd have a word with the guy. Anyway, I guess the point of my rant is, are all young CFIs carrying this attitude now? I seem to run into many who thinke they are God's gift to flight, or am I finally moved into the grumpy old man stage???

<SNIP> Anyway, I guess the point of my rant is, are all young CFIs carrying this attitude now? I seem to run into many who thinke they are God's gift to flight, or am I finally moved into the grumpy old man stage???

The young CFIs I know in Lincoln, NE don't seem to carry this attitude.

OK maybe I'm off base here, so feel free, (like anyone here would hold back), to let me know if I am just getting too sensitive in my old age. Friday I had a BFR. It was only the second one since I retired, and the first was with a guy about my age who had been a check pilot with a major carrier before he retired. Friday I was with a CFI who seemed extremely impressed with himself. The ground portion went fine, and he tried but could not poke a weak spot, but then noted that my current log book did not have a complex or HP endorsement in it, and said that without that we could not fly. I pointed out that the previous BFR was logged in that book, in the same airplane, and that that instructor had no issues with it. I asked him which FAR applied, adding that I considered all the logbooks I had as one volume, and that I could reschedule if it was a show stopper. He told me that he had "done a lot of BFRs, and all his clients had the proper endorsements" in their logs. He decided we could fly, but wanted to see my endorsement. When we got ready to launch I did what I always do before starting the engine, which is a "flight controls free and correct" check, because I feel if there is a problem, why turn it over? He asked what I was doing and when I told him he loftily told me "Well OK, but if you move to bigger planes you will need to follow the checklist exactly." I laughed, and told him I had 5800 hours in C130s..and asked how many he had in four engined transports. After that there wasn't anything I could do with out a sigh or small meaningless comment. I kept my mouth shut and flew, he signed me off without a comment and we parted ways. When I got home I called the FBO and spoke to the manager, telling him how awestruck I had been with the CFI. He told me he'd have a word with the guy. Anyway, I guess the point of my rant is, are all young CFIs carrying this attitude now? I seem to run into many who think they are God's gift to flight, or am I finally moved into the grumpy old man stage???

Here is my grumpy old man rant. If grumpy old men would forget their old English classes that applied to hand writing hard copies more than anything else, and inserted spaces every now and then in their lengthy dissertations that will only be read on a computer screen, it would be of tremendous help to my tired old eyes and my easily confused brain in processing their input.

The spaces do not necessarily have to replicate paragraphs, but that could easily be accomplished with short paragraphs.

Getting back to the issue at hand, I have found many of these younger CFIs, and even some private pilots to be full of themselves.

Actually, now that I give it some thought, I think the entire younger generation is more than full of themselves.

Perhaps we were as well, I'm too old to remember.

-John

CFIs who seem extremely impressed with themselves is not limited to the young.

Here is my grumpy old man rant. If grumpy old men would forget their old English classes that applied to hand writing hard copies more than anything else, and inserted spaces every now and then in their lengthy dissertations that will only be read on a computer screen, it would be of tremendous help to my tired old eyes and my easily confused brain in processing their input.

The spaces do not necessarily have to replicate paragraphs, but that could easily be accomplished with short paragraphs.

Getting back to the issue at hand, I have found many of these younger CFIs, and even some private pilots to be full of themselves.

Actually, now that I give it some thought, I think the entire younger generation is more than full of themselves.

Perhaps we were as well, I'm too old to remember.

-John

Point taken I will be more caring for old eyes in the

future. :) (EDIT I put three spaces between each word, but apparently the software parses out the spaces.)

Lets see, your old, you have 5,800 hrs driving C-130s, why their is a good chance I may have flown with you. If you were flying from 1959 -1963 and had dropped any paratroopers out of Ft Campbell, KY, the chances are more than good. I loved jumping that plane, we all did.

-John

...they know everything now with 250hrs, the FAA said so.

Sweet! I'm getting pretty close to 250.

For what it's worth my current CFI is a young guy, but we get along great. He's seems quite up front about not knowing everything and I think we both learn from each other.

I could make up a story about my CFI and my BFR. Of how i fly out to the ranch she runs alone now that her husband is gone. How I land at the little strip and we take off and fly over her ranch and check on her cattle and make a landing back at the ranch and she signs my book. But I am not going to do that!

Sweet! I'm getting pretty close to 250.

For what it's worth my current CFI is a young guy, but we get along great. He's seems quite up front about not knowing everything and I think we both learn from each other.

By the time you've accumulated 250 hours you should be beginning to realize how little you actually know vs how much there is to learn. This effect only increases as you gain more experience.

IME, most CFIs, young or old either don't feel omniscient or else they hide it pretty well around me. No doubt there are some exceptions but I'm not ready to condemn an entire generation on the basis of one wormy apple.

I've flown with old and young CFI's. I see it this way, The young ones are sharper on the regulations and the older ones are sharper as aviators. The smoothest landings have been demonstrated by the older instructors. If you want to talk about real flying situations, talk to the older CFI's, they have been seasoned. The younger CFI's will give you book responses to questions.

I've flown with old and young CFI's. I see it this way, The young ones are sharper on the regulations and the older ones are sharper as aviators. The smoothest landings have been demonstrated by the older instructors. If you want to talk about real flying situations, talk to the older CFI's, they have been seasoned. The younger CFI's will give you book responses to questions.

You can get fooled by appearances though; you can have a 25 YO CFI who grew up in planes with a hell of a lot more experience than a 68 year old CFI who got his first lesson as a retirement gift.

Yep, and it is the same way with not just CFI's, but PP IP and CP. I am almost a CP, I have 118 hours part 141 and a guy in one of my Vietnam classes at CCBC wanted me to take him up and just assess his flying so he can feel more confident. I am always happy to see such enthusiasm so I said yes and we headed up that day in a PA28-161. I immediately knew that he had some type of cockiness to him as I was just giving him some details about stuff like the Mags, EDFP, electronic FP, and when we hopped in to the plane (Now, granted, he only has 20 hour in a plane ever, so I was going easy on him) and went to start it, it was having trouble, so he pumped the throttle and I immediately leaned the mixture and said that he should never do that due to the accelerator that's on this particular updraft carburetor it will flood the engine and will leak all over the carburetor and air box and if the engine back fired it would set all that puddled fuel on the bottom of the cowl on fire. And before I even finished explaining something like that he just cut me of with a few "ya, ya, ya, oh ya, ya i know, I know, Ya that is simple engine mechanics" and I looked at him and laughed, due to the fact that he tried to save his stupid mistake with a "Ya, I know" So that was irritating but I didn't really mind, so we taxied up, never used a checklist, and I purposely did not put my shoulder harness on for take-off to enforce that if you do not use a checklist, you could easily forget something vital to flight, when I was telling him that he looked at me like I was some satanic spawn for doing that, now I thought it was only me be slightly over sensitive so we continued NW to practice cruise flight. As we started to level out and clean up the airplane and make the flight calm (as much as a private student can make a flight calm) I told him to trim 'er up, and he told me she was, so I said, "alright, let go"... we gained about 300 feet before I told him to grab 'er again, and started teaching him how to FEEL the plane instead of just flying with the trim, and I was joking around, telling him that if you were to fly just by spinning the nose wheel and trying to get it right, the airplane will be making you its ***** for the entire flight, and as I was demonstrating that you need to feel the pressure of the yolk, and that the plane is the best teacher, and it was telling him to trim 'er down till you didn't feel any pressure in that straight and level flight condition, as I was showing him, not in douchy or demeaning way, seriously!, he said to me "dude, I know how to fly a plane," and at that point I was just dumbfounded that a 20hour pilot told ANYONE, regardless of my experience, told ANYONE that he knew how to fly a plane not only with over-confidence, but as an insult to the person he was paying money to go up and help him. At that point I told him to turn this thing around and send her home, I told him that I was not going to waste his money if he was just going to turn and deaf ear to everything I said... It was total BS. I am not saying I am tough **** cause I have a wopping 230 hours, NO!!! But there is a reason I have the ratings and licenses that I have, it is because I know my way around at least a single engine plane, but he did not even want to listen...
Moral of story, get used to many Many MANY up and coming pilots, and Cfi's acting in this way. I can understand having fun, that Is what this is all about. But over confidence and lack of awareness due to your own self-centeredness will kill you in the real world when he is own his own, not like he would know anything about that. Let's face it though, there will be plenty of A-holes and plenty of Nice, no, AMAZING guys we come in contact with in this industry, but sadly, thanks to this up-and-coming generation of entitlement, no child left behind, everyone gets a trophy BS, people like that CFI and my Oh-So-lovable private student will be emerging more and more often in this industry. Hope you do not run in to him again, glad you handled it so calm and maturely ! :)

YOU ARE DEAD ON MAN!!!

Yep, and it is the same way with not just CFI's, but PP IP and CP. I am almost a CP, I have 118 hours part 141 and a guy in one of my Vietnam classes at CCBC wanted me to take him up and just assess his flying so he can feel more confident. I am always happy to see such enthusiasm so I said yes and we headed up that day in a PA28-161. I immediately knew that he had some type of cockiness to him as I was just giving him some details about stuff like the Mags, EDFP, electronic FP, and when we hopped in to the plane (Now, granted, he only has 20 hour in a plane ever, so I was going easy on him) and went to start it, it was having trouble, so he pumped the throttle and I immediately leaned the mixture and said that he should never do that due to the accelerator that's on this particular updraft carburetor it will flood the engine and will leak all over the carburetor and air box and if the engine back fired it would set all that puddled fuel on the bottom of the cowl on fire. And before I even finished explaining something like that he just cut me of with a few "ya, ya, ya, oh ya, ya i know, I know, Ya that is simple engine mechanics" and I looked at him and laughed, due to the fact that he tried to save his stupid mistake with a "Ya, I know" So that was irritating but I didn't really mind, so we taxied up, never used a checklist, and I purposely did not put my shoulder harness on for take-off to enforce that if you do not use a checklist, you could easily forget something vital to flight, when I was telling him that he looked at me like I was some satanic spawn for doing that, now I thought it was only me be slightly over sensitive so we continued NW to practice cruise flight. As we started to level out and clean up the airplane and make the flight calm (as much as a private student can make a flight calm) I told him to trim 'er up, and he told me she was, so I said, "alright, let go"... we gained about 300 feet before I told him to grab 'er again, and started teaching him how to FEEL the plane instead of just flying with the trim, and I was joking around, telling him that if you were to fly just by spinning the nose wheel and trying to get it right, the airplane will be making you its ***** for the entire flight, and as I was demonstrating that you need to feel the pressure of the yolk, and that the plane is the best teacher, and it was telling him to trim 'er down till you didn't feel any pressure in that straight and level flight condition, as I was showing him, not in douchy or demeaning way, seriously!, he said to me "dude, I know how to fly a plane," and at that point I was just dumbfounded that a 20hour pilot told ANYONE, regardless of my experience, told ANYONE that he knew how to fly a plane not only with over-confidence, but as an insult to the person he was paying money to go up and help him. At that point I told him to turn this thing around and send her home, I told him that I was not going to waste his money if he was just going to turn and deaf ear to everything I said... It was total BS. I am not saying I am tough **** cause I have a wopping 230 hours, NO!!! But there is a reason I have the ratings and licenses that I have, it is because I know my way around at least a single engine plane, but he did not even want to listen...
Moral of story, get used to many Many MANY up and coming pilots, and Cfi's acting in this way. I can understand having fun, that Is what this is all about. But over confidence and lack of awareness due to your own self-centeredness will kill you in the real world when he is own his own, not like he would know anything about that. Let's face it though, there will be plenty of A-holes and plenty of Nice, no, AMAZING guys we come in contact with in this industry, but sadly, thanks to this up-and-coming generation of entitlement, no child left behind, everyone gets a trophy BS, people like that CFI and my Oh-So-lovable private student will be emerging more and more often in this industry. Hope you do not run in to him again, glad you handled it so calm and maturely ! :)

Are you trying to irk John Baker?

Last edited:

Alphabet, please read my post # 7

-John

I just joined like 3 days ago I do not know how to check specific posts, sorry...

OOHHHHH okay, yep, sorry John, Didn't think it mattered how I set my paragraphs or response, just figured I would put my two cents in. You got it dead on!

No way am I (or others it appears) going to dive into that block of text to try and read what you typed. You need to break your text apart with paragraphs. Put a space between each paragraph and limit each paragraph to 4 or 5 sentences at most.

Nobody wants to read a massive block of text and that's what you posted.

Lets see, your old, you have 5,800 hrs driving C-130s, why their is a good chance I may have flown with you. If you were flying from 1959 -1963 and had dropped any paratroopers out of Ft Campbell, KY, the chances are more than good. I loved jumping that plane, we all did.

-John

I guess "Old" is relative. And I never dropped paratroopers. USCG.

You can get fooled by appearances though; you can have a 25 YO CFI who grew up in planes with a hell of a lot more experience than a 68 year old CFI who got his first lesson as a retirement gift.

Exactly. It's not the hours you've logged, it's the lessons learned from those hours, and the realization that you will never know it all.

OOHHHHH okay, yep, sorry John, Didn't think it mattered how I set my paragraphs or response, just figured I would put my two cents in. You got it dead on!

Thanks, and welcome to POA. It just makes for a whole lot easier reading for all of us. What you have to say, may or may not be important to some or any of us, but at least what you have to say should get read.

Myself, if I am skimming through a thread, I don't even slow down when I see all them words all bunched up like that.

At the bottom of your post, you will see a thing that says edit. Hit that, and just go through your post and put some spaces here and there between the lines of words.

Much like what I have done here.

-John

Last edited:
Now you guys are setting up the: "I have 5800 hours flying a C130.", "Yeah, well big deal, I have 250 hours flying a C150!" - joke.

Anyway, I guess the point of my rant is, are all young CFIs carrying this attitude now? I seem to run into many who think they are God's gift to flight, or am I finally moved into the grumpy old man stage???
There are definitely CFIs and pilots in general who think they are God's gift to aviation but it is not related to age, or even experience.

FWIW -- if I ran into someone without the proper endorsements, instead of harassing them about them, I'd just include them in the flight review. You're also not required to have those endorsements with you anyways.

I might during the ground of a flight review ask a pilot about what is required to act as PIC in the aircraft we're using. That might mean we could talk about the endorsements.

Based on you saying that you're an old man it's likely you don't have them and don't need them under the grandfather:
(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane prior to August 4, 1997.
(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.

No way am I (or others it appears) going to dive into that block of text to try and read what you typed. You need to break your text apart with paragraphs. Put a space between each paragraph and limit each paragraph to 4 or 5 sentences at most.

Nobody wants to read a massive block of text and that's what you posted.

small nit: Not a "space" but a return.

FWIW -- if I ran into someone without the proper endorsements, instead of harassing them about them, I'd just include them in the flight review. You're also not required to have those endorsements with you anyways.

I might during the ground of a flight review ask a pilot about what is required to act as PIC in the aircraft we're using. That might mean we could talk about the endorsements.

Based on you saying that you're an old man it's likely you don't have them and don't need them under the grandfather:

I got a CFI to sign me off sometime in the late 80s for the insurance company when I bought a 206. I bought a Comanche 250 later on and did the same thing. I assumed when he looked at my certificate and medical he would have noted "Commercial Pilot" and "Multi-engine Helicopter and Airplane" and guessed I had the proper endorsements.

Last edited:
Jack, I think you just got the back end of the "Hey I'm real good" conceit that is so common of our twenty somethings.

They are not all that way.

I do have the same approach to medicals, and to CFI-ing, as young Jesse. If I have a guy who does not have the necessary letter of eligibiltiy for a condition, I get it documented and get it issued. Get it right, and get it done.

OTOH, if I don't like what I see (in the airplane), it's train to proficiency.

Ratings and signoffs? I can tell that in about three minutes.

Three Finger, I am going to regret this I know. Several weeks ago I got involved in a discussion here about instructors. I had the gall to suggest that the CFI rating did not come with a cape and tights. Well I was flamed pretty good.
I would humbly suggest you tread carefully here saying anything critical of CFI's and especially young CFI's. The conventional wisdom is that it is normal to take 50 yours to solo and 100 hours or more to take the private test. And none of this is due to poor instructing. Good luck and keep your flame suit handy.

Ronnie

Back