The often promised cheaper ADSB is happening

Fwiw.... It's just the out solution. If you want IN, your right back where we started.

Going to check it out ,at sun n fun,if they have a booth.

Fwiw.... It's just the out solution. If you want IN, your right back where we started.

Yeah, but the complainers are complaining they are being _forced_ to buy a solution they don't want. Clearly, they have no interest in "in" so now they just have to spend $2k...

:)

Is there any clue what the installation cost will be?

But ADS-B IN can be achieved already with potable units like Stratus and ForeFlight.

The ADS-B out can't be achieved by portable.

Yeah, but the complainers are complaining they are being _forced_ to buy a solution they don't want. Clearly, they have no interest in "in" so now they just have to spend $2k...

:)

And add another $1k or so for a tablet plus ADSB-in if they ever decide they want it. The $2k for the OUT is without labor, but my assumption is that it won't take more than a few hours to install.

And true to form, it is much less expensive in the experimental world.

One of the many reasons I'm not an early adopter.

We still have 5 years left, which in the tech world is a life time.

I am hoping that in the end the FAA comes to their senses and allows a portable solution. While there may not be a way to validate accuracy, it seems that perhaps they will allow for flight in Class C, or at least under the veil, and maybe the TSO units required for Class B and A. I suspect a lot of plane owners would opt for a portable solution even if we were restricted from flying in Class B airspace.

I am hoping that in the end the FAA comes to their senses and allows a portable solution. While there may not be a way to validate accuracy, it seems that perhaps they will allow for flight in Class C, or at least under the veil, and maybe the TSO units required for Class B and A. I suspect a lot of plane owners would opt for a portable solution even if we were restricted from flying in Class B airspace.
ironically, if that comes to pass I might not be able to take the transponder-equipped travelair inside today's classB mode-C veil, but I could charge right in with the champ with no electrical system at all

Is there any clue what the installation cost will be?

According to AvWeb,

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/Meanwhile-This-Week-in-ADS-B-News-223717-1.html

Highlight (Lowlight?) from above article:

That gets us to the next acorn rolled our way from FreeFlight Systems, which announced this week what it calls RANGR Lite. For $1995, it’s a UAT Out-only solution; no free weather or traffic with In. We’re assured that this time, the price is complete with antennas and control head. It has the required self-contained WAAS GPS. Shops tell us it ought to install for $2000, so around $4000 all-in. Getting warmer. An owner could get lucky and put it together for a little under $4000.

A GDl88 is $5k installed. Doesn't seem like much of a big win to me. :rolleyes2:

According to AvWeb,

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/Meanwhile-This-Week-in-ADS-B-News-223717-1.html

Highlight (Lowlight?) from above article:

That gets us to the next acorn rolled our way from FreeFlight Systems, which announced this week what it calls RANGR Lite. For $1995, it’s a UAT Out-only solution; no free weather or traffic with In. We’re assured that this time, the price is complete with antennas and control head. It has the required self-contained WAAS GPS. Shops tell us it ought to install for $2000, so around $4000 all-in. Getting warmer. An owner could get lucky and put it together for a little under $4000.

its a self-contained box that needs power and a couple of antennae. There is no way that costs $2k to install

Unfortunately, some of us don't have that option, living under class B and i side the mode c veil.

its a self-contained box that needs power and a couple of antennae. There is no way that costs $2k to install

I would think it still has to interface with the transponder, unless it can detect the code wirelessly (no reason why it shouldn't be able to). I know the L3 NGT-1000 solution requires a separate control box (another $1200) for every transponder except the GTX-327 or GTX-330.

https://www.l-3avionics.com/products/lynx/models

I would think it still has to interface with the transponder, unless it can detect the code wirelessly (no reason why it shouldn't be able to). I know the L3 NGT-1000 solution requires a separate control box (another $1200) for every transponder except the GTX-327 or GTX-330.

Some of the units have a sniffer which clamps around the transponder antenna coax and reads the squawk code.

The reality is that these should be 4 wire installs: GPS, Power, Ground, Transponder. Most aren't.

ok that's a handful of wires from a box that's probably mounted right next to it. It's no big deal.

I don't think certified would allow for a "sniffer" to determine the code.

I DO think that if they can get it small enough to panel mount, install costs could be significantlly reduced.

I don't think certified would allow for a "sniffer" to determine the code.
That's how some of the already certificated Garmin boxes work.

ADS B has to transmit the same squawk code and get the altitude from the same source as the mode C.

I was at an avionics shop yesterday, and asked them about ballpark installation costs for the new FreeFlight unit. He said we would need a new altitude encoder with the proper output (not the old style Gray code we have now) to feed the ADS-B box (approx $400), plus $1500-2000 for installation. So at least $4000 all in.

This was Radio Ranch at KSQI - Rock Falls, Illinois.

I was at an avionics shop yesterday, and asked them about ballpark installation costs for the new FreeFlight unit. He said we would need a new altitude encoder with the proper output (not the old style Gray code we have now) to feed the ADS-B box (approx $400), plus $1500-2000 for installation. So at least $4000 all in.

This was Radio Ranch at KSQI - Rock Falls, Illinois.
This sounds odd. From what I have been reading, the FreeFlight unit is supposed to use the altitude encoder from your already installed Mode C or Mode S xpdr.

This sounds odd. From what I have been reading, the FreeFlight unit is supposed to use the altitude encoder from your already installed Mode C or Mode S xpdr.

I had two shops tell me the same before my GDL88. Some encoders are GTG. Others will need to be replaced. It was a couple hundred more for a new encoder if needed.

From what I understand, a newer style encoder is required with a digital output (rs-232 connector), which will feed the old transponder as well as the new ADS-B box (single source altitude encoding is part of the mandate, he said). They will also have to install two antennas - one for the WAAS GPS, and another to transmit the ADS-B out signal (978 MHz - UAT in this case).

Last edited:
The GDL-84 and GDL-88 have the "wireless "Autosquawk" "...

I read the installation manual and it does talk about a wireless transponder connection. But it does not talk about "auto squawk".

Not that its a big deal to me, but my reading led me to believe it was not a sniffer, rather, a Bluetooth-type connection for higher end gear. But I am no installation tech either. All the info and diagrams only showed wired connections.

Do you happen to have an article or Garmin data on the auto-detect function? I can't find any.

Do you happen to have an article or Garmin data on the auto-detect function? I can't find any.
No - not handy. I found it some time ago when I was trying to figure out what would work with my moldy oldie KT-76A which has no interface to anything other than the grey code input from the encoder.

Back