the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Speaking of the leaderboard, @Jim K has nearly half my post count yet is 50% more liked. @Half Fast seems to the only user above some threshold that has more likes than posts.
I've only been here half as long too. Give me some time to get more curmudgeonly. :biggrin:

@Half Fast seems to the only user above some threshold that has more likes than posts.
Challenge accepted.
(Note to self - get child interested in aviation, get him to marry someone also interested in aviation, then have them both join PoA)

Today's drama exemplifies the thread title: Finally found a hangar, signed the lease and paid for my first year on Monday. Blew the wings off my Fisher yesterday and began the migration from shop to airport: figured I'd tow the fuselage first and then return in a box truck with all the wings. I tack welded some old floor grate to the nose of my POS car trailer because my main gear is too wide to fit between the fenders, then used a come-along to pull the plane backwards up the ramps and over the trailer neck. Headed to the airport last night, dropped off the trailer in the hangar, and went home. I return today with a load of miscellaneous parts, carefully unload the airplane, roll it off to the side of the hangar so I can get the trailer out and make room for wings and reassembly. Unlatch the hangar door clasps, hit the door lift button and the motor starts sloooooooowly turning the cable drum, then begins smoking and smelling like burnt motor windings. Never got the door open far enough to slide the trailer outside. Womp womp :cryin:

On the bright side: it's still too cold and windy to fly this peashooter.

Attachments

• IMG_9661 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9661 Large.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9686 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9686 Large.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9705 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9705 Large.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9706 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9706 Large.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9708 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9708 Large.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9712 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9712 Large.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 30
Today's drama exemplifies the thread title: Finally found a hangar, signed the lease and paid for my first year on Monday. Blew the wings off my Fisher yesterday and began the migration from shop to airport: figured I'd tow the fuselage first and then return in a box truck with all the wings. I tack welded some old floor grate to the nose of my POS car trailer because my main gear is too wide to fit between the fenders, then used a come-along to pull the plane backwards up the ramps and over the trailer neck. Headed to the airport last night, dropped off the trailer in the hangar, and went home. I return today with a load of miscellaneous parts, carefully unload the airplane, roll it off to the side of the hangar so I can get the trailer out and make room for wings and reassembly. Unlatch the hangar door clasps, hit the door lift button and the motor starts sloooooooowly turning the cable drum, then begins smoking and smelling like burnt motor windings. Never got the door open far enough to slide the trailer outside. Womp womp :cryin:

Good looking toy you got there! ;)

The truck or the airplane? :biggrin:

The Tacoma was a clean southern truck with mechanical issues; I took it all the way apart, hot-dip galvanized the frame, and reassembled it with a good drivetrain from the rusty Tacoma that preceded it as our plow truck. (All that dark stuff around the door jambs is Fluid Film undercoat... can't stand rust.)

Last edited:

Nope, definitely worthy of its own thread.

Good looking toy you got there! ;)
Yeah that thing is cool AF

Here's a "not worthy" example...

Today I learned that old c130's smoke like b52's. But with less engines.

"Torch 39" followed us into PIA today, and as @masloki quipped, it lived up to its callsign. Four black trails streaming behind it. I've apparently only ever seen newer models that run pretty clean, this was an old ANG bird.

I also just noticed this is page 100. 100 pages of a thread about nothing. It's the Seinfeld of threads.

The thread about nothing reaching 100 pages and nearly 4000(!) posts is probably also not worthy of its own thread. But it has one. It's threadception of the highest level.

Here's a "not worthy" example...

Today I learned that old c130's smoke like b52's. But with less engines.

"Torch 39" followed us into PIA today, and as @masloki quipped, it lived up to its callsign. Four black trails streaming behind it. I've apparently only ever seen newer models that run pretty clean, this was an old ANG bird.
Those things fly over my house at 1500 AGL every Wednesday during the summer. Usually flight of two and sometimes flight of three.

That Taco is about the best generation of all of them. Really where the Taco got it's reputation for being tough as nails.

Right. I'm trying to tread the fine line between using it like the tool it is and protecting it. 1st generation Tacomas are outright extinct in this part of the country.

Have almost 300k miles on my 1st gen Tundra. But it's soon to be up for sale. I might sell one of my motorcycles instead to keep it.

That hot dip galvanizing a frame is amazing. That's worthy of a mini-series on a car show. The amount of labor to take it apart and put back together, and the details involved in getting things to reattach right, when thread sizes change and welding either doesn't work or is a huge PITA is a LOT.

Can I just say that I hate taxes. Not the payment part. I mean, that’s terrible too. But the filing of income taxes, and withholding/estimated taxes planning. Sometimes I wonder if the underpayment penalty is just a fee for keeping this garb simple.

Can I just say that I hate taxes. Not the payment part. I mean, that’s terrible too. But the filing of income taxes, and withholding/estimated taxes planning. Sometimes I wonder if the underpayment penalty is just a fee for keeping this garb simple.
You're telling me. I'm fortunate that I don't have to deal with estimates, but that also means that my due date is today, and I get to pay the whole thing in a lump sum. The whole paycheck deduction thing is the biggest scam ever worked. If people actually felt the pain of writing the check at the end of the year they would revolt. The way it is the rubes are excited to get their refund like it's a gift.

The one I really resent though is the state state of Illinois. The corruption and waste in this state makes me sick having to write that check. They use your federal AGI before any deductions, so I get to pay taxes on all my charitable giving.

Federal return was 21 pages this year, up from 17 last year. At least with my federal return I can pretend I'm paying for fuel for the F16 demo at Oshkosh.

Urgh - my planning model didn't account for pre-tax deductions. I'm a moron* that just overpayed the IRS. Oh well. Time to tweak the model...

*I have a degree in Accounting

Urgh - my planning model didn't account for pre-tax deductions. I'm a moron* that just overpayed the IRS. Oh well. Time to tweak the model...

*I have a degree in Accounting
I seem to have the opposite problem. I've been underpaying the IRS the past several years and owe a few bucks in penalties each time.

*I don't have a degree in Accounting (is that the difference?)

You can thank the lobbyist from the tax prep companies for things being more complex than they need to be.

Anyways. Someone said "nice landing" to me today over ctaf, and it wasn't sarcasm!
Stall horn right before touchdown, turned off at the first taxiway.

Logged 3h today flying to breakfast in Wisconsin, then a leisurely slow flight to get cheap gas in Indiana, then back home to IL. Incredible weather. It felt like summer. Even had to pop the oil cooler winterization plate off.

Also had a fellow pilot get a little ticked off at me for doing a straight-in, even though he was also doing a straight in too! I didn't even bother pointing out the irony.

The one I really resent though is the state state of Illinois. The corruption and waste in this state makes me sick having to write that check. They use your federal AGI before any deductions, so I get to pay taxes on all my charitable giving.
Yep. They just take it and say thanks...except without the thanks. Maybe we're supposed to thank them? I suspect we're a little far removed from the Fed to understand the waste, corruption, and absurdity at that level.

Can't wait to get my blue card in 2 months to see how much my property taxes went up. If it weren't for the bee's it'd be more painful.

At work, we have something called a "VRF". My colleague keeps misspelling it "VFR". I'm trying to think of a snappy retort that includes "IMC".

Or maybe I should just politely ask if he's a pilot and that's why he keeps misspelling it.

At work, we have something called a "VRF". My colleague keeps misspelling it "VFR". I'm trying to think of a snappy retort that includes "IMC".

Or maybe I should just politely ask if he's a pilot and that's why he keeps misspelling it.

Got a buddy that's stuck on FFA instead of FAA. After many months of being scorned by the locals he's doing some better ... :rolleyes1:

I got 3 approaches in actual imc today. Nice afternoon for it here in Central IL. Hopped over to Rennselaer, IN (say that 5 times fast) and filled up on $4.63 avgas. Still didn't see the sun.

IMG_20240305_153141658.jpg

I got 3 approaches in actual imc today. Nice afternoon for it here in Central IL. Hopped over to Rennselaer, IN (say that 5 times fast) and filled up on $4.63 avgas. Still didn't see the sun.

View attachment 126295
Beautiful. I’m jealous. We are in that season when it seems all IMC is exactly -5C and almost guaranteed to make some ice.

I didn't know there was another Rensselaer. There's one in NY, across the river from Albany. And the weather looks just about the same, too.

Back