the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

So Eman wounded a poor defenseless bird.

Well you obviously lived to tell about it. How's the plane?

well I'm a little confused.......I'm not sure where firefly's comment came from, except that the other night when we got back to the hangar I noticed some feathery type looking things on the leading edge. "could" have been a small bird or a rather large furry moth kind of thing. no damage whatsoever. like I wouldn't even call it a bird strike. but the confusing thing is the timing with firefly's comment. not like anyone knows about it 'cept me and my bud. wait, did I drunk post about it? I don't think so..........hhhmmmff

um, I thought a NORDO aircraft could enter. What if the guy really thought his radio was tango uniform (rather than trying to cover up a brain ***t?

(yes, the guy didn't have to fly into the class delta airspace, maybe he could have diverted and sorted things out on the ground)
Thing is, his radio was working just fine. He told the tower he was just on the wrong frequency.

So, I see your point - he wasn't really NORDO. He was "Radio Operator Dysfunctional" ??

Was out in the practice area this morning for my second ever solo. Heard on guard:
"This is the US Air Force. If you're the traffic 6 miles north of DuPont VORTAC you've entered restricted airspace. Egress westward and prepare for instructions to contact the FAA", or something similar.

That got my attention real quick :lol::lol:

I know I double checked the TFRs before I left, and called flight service for a briefing, but I still was nervous for a bit, as this practice area is actually adjacent to another hot spot that's closed often for VIP TFRs. But after landing and looking up "DuPont VORTAC" it turns out this transgression was around Wilmington this time, quite a safe distance from me. But for just a minute after hearing "This is the US Air Force..." in my headset, my blood ran cold for a second as I was thinking about how my school would feel about their student being hailed by a pair of F-16s on their second solo flight :rofl:

Last edited:
Thing is, his radio was working just fine. He told the tower he was just on the wrong frequency.

So, I see your point - he wasn't really NORDO. He was "Radio Operator Dysfunctional" ??

NOBRAIN?

• Haha
Reactions: WDD
um, I thought a NORDO aircraft could enter.
Got me thinking so I looked it up. Unless your radio legitimately futzed out in the way in and you pinged out 7600, etc., a plane without a radio is to stay out of D airspace. I supposed you could arrange special permission in advance in some cases.

Thoughts?

…………………………

(c) Communications. Each personoperating an aircraft in Class D airspace must meet the following two-way radio communications requirements:

(1) Arrival or through flight. Each person must establish two-way radio communications with the ATC facility (including foreign ATC in the case of foreign airspace designated in the United States) providing air trafficservices prior to entering that airspace and thereafter maintain those communications while within that airspace.

I am now 4.5 hours shy of 500 cross country hours. And by this definition of cross country I mean the whole more than 50nm thing.

Why do smoke alarms always start to chirp in the middle of the night?

Why do smoke alarms always start to chirp in the middle of the night?

more importantly, why does more than one start the "battery is low" chirp?

and why can't the smoke alarm that made an alarm latch one of the indicators?

Are all of your alarms the same make/model from the same manufacturing batch? Are you filling them with batteries from the same batch? Are all of the alarms/batteries subjected to the same/similar temperature swings?
Keeping an indicator lit would probably accelerate battery rundown. But yeah, they should probably do something with the indicator (blink different?).

Are all of your alarms the same make/model from the same manufacturing batch? Are you filling them with batteries from the same batch? Are all of the alarms/batteries subjected to the same/similar temperature swings?

Keeping an indicator lit would probably accelerate battery rundown. But yeah, they should probably do something with the indicator (blink different?).

yup - all the same same.

The point of my whine was the challenge of locating the chirping alarm in a large building. "chirp" - I think it's over there... "chirp" - hmmm, that sounds like it's over *there* instead... "chirp" - dang, now where is it? "chirp"

yup - all the same same.

The point of my whine was the challenge of locating the chirping alarm in a large building. "chirp" - I think it's over there... "chirp" - hmmm, that sounds like it's over *there* instead... "chirp" - dang, now where is it? "chirp"
Yeah, I have felt your pain. The extra challenge comes when there are multiple chirps at or around the same time. Batteries from different vendors help with staggering the chirps. I have switched to newer alarms with permanently installed 10 year batteries that are also supposed to blink different in addition to the chirp, but I won't know for another 8 years whether or not that helps.

On a completely different subject: please explain to me why people like cars with leather seats (instead of cloth seats).

On a completely different subject: please explain to me why people like cars with leather seats (instead of cloth seats).
Leather seats look better. They feel better. They're often ventilated (not sure if you can get vented fabric seats or not). They're easier to clean. They don't stay wet if something gets spilled. They're easier to brush off when snow falls on them when you open the door in winter. If it's a big vehicle (large sedan, SUV, super crew F150) it's a lot easier to slide in and out of. They wear better and don't sun fade.

Leather seats look better. They feel better. They're often ventilated (not sure if you can get vented fabric seats or not). They're easier to clean. They don't stay wet if something gets spilled. They're easier to brush off when snow falls on them when you open the door in winter. If it's a big vehicle (large sedan, SUV, super crew F150) it's a lot easier to slide in and out of. They wear better and don't sun fade.
On the whole, I agree with you. However, there are some notable exceptions. One is the GTI where the cloth option is pretty good quality and the plaid pattern is better looking than the plain black leather. Plus, it holds you in place better when the driving gets spirited.

Y'all must not wear shorts much, if ever. Leather seats are horrible in the summer as a girl (I guess a "natively-dressed" Scotsman would have the same issues). They get way hotter than any cloth and burn the backs of your thighs and calves unless you have a blanket to put over the seat.

Yesterday I decided to try a flight from the Seattle area to Ellensburg, which involves crossing the Snoqualmie Pass. I'd read everything I've found about it, the weather was clear skies, no forecast turbulence, westerly winds of 30kts at 10,000 and 10kts at 6000. I was in a C162 Skycatcher - very light and not great in turbulence but it climbs well, can be flown slow, and I have over a 100 hours in the type, so I'm comfortable with the airplane itself. I have some experience flying in the foothills of the Sierras in California and have developed some personal minima around winds, but I've never flown in canyons themselves. This was a let's go take a look flight.

Long story short, I was SE of North Bend following I-90 and had climbed out from under the Seattle Bravo to 5,500 when I noticed that the bigger mountain peaks I could see in the distance when I was at 4,500 or 5,000 were no longer visible when I was at 5,500. There was some kind of haze layer at that altitude that was obscuring visibility. My plan had been to either follow I-90 across the pass, including the sharp right turn, or cut across south of that turn. I knew I could climb higher (I've timed the 162 to 10,500 and it can maintain 300+ fpm even at 10k ft when solo). I had distinctly better visibility at 4,500, which is about 1500' above the highest point of I-90 in the pass, but I had eliminated flying that low during my flight planning - seemed too risky. Those disappearing peaks were probably 20 miles away and I could see fine for 5+ miles into the mouth of the canyon as long as I was looking down at an angle, but I got that "don't want to die today" feeling and I called it off. Went flying over the islands instead.

I wonder what it would have been like if I'd climbed to 7.5 or 9.5 to clear the haze, or if I'd flown a little further to check things out (but wasn't sure if there's room to turn around even near the mouth of the canyon). And because those mountains are so huge, maybe they look closer than they are, so when they faded it was alarming. All in all, I think the weather yesterday was actually decent, but the task still made me freak. I also did not find it easy to follow the road itself, even in a high wing. Maybe it's easier if you're lower and less important when you're higher but even so. I will ask an instructor to come with me next time, and open to tips and comments.

Back on this board after a long time, but have been a reader and appreciate the community. Thanks.

Last edited:
yup - all the same same.

The newer models have voice activated assistance. It bleats out “Polo” when given a certain voice command.

On the whole, I agree with you. However, there are some notable exceptions. One is the GTI where the cloth option is pretty good quality and the plaid pattern is better looking than the plain black leather. Plus, it holds you in place better when the driving gets spirited.
But I'd have to look at a GTI to know that... there's a reason they make lots of different cars with lots of different options, because people like different things.
Y'all must not wear shorts much, if ever. Leather seats are horrible in the summer as a girl (I guess a "natively-dressed" Scotsman would have the same issues). They get way hotter than any cloth and burn the backs of your thighs and calves unless you have a blanket to put over the seat.
I wear shorts a lot, but I've never been a girl so I'll defer on that point. I had one car once -- the first one I ever owned that had leather seats, in fact -- and it did get pretty darn toasty. My current and last half dozen or so haven't really had that issue.

You should have been around for the days of vinyl seats. I think I may have left charred skin on a few of those suckers back in the day.

I wear shorts a lot, but I've never been a girl so I'll defer on that point. I had one car once -- the first one I ever owned that had leather seats, in fact -- and it did get pretty darn toasty. My current and last half dozen or so haven't really had that issue.

You should have been around for the days of vinyl seats. I think I may have left charred skin on a few of those suckers back in the day.
Oh yeah, vinyl is hands-down worse than leather. My second car had vinyl seats. Cloth seats are about Phoenix, leather is Death Valley, and vinyl is hellfire and brimstone. :crazy::biggrin:

Where would you rank sheepskin seat covers?
I'm not sure. Never had the opportunity to sit on one. Supposedly they are supposed to be really good, though, and keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. If that's true, they're probably Galveston - still hot, but there's a nice breeze. :cool:

thanks for the input.

"Leather seats look better. They feel better." - ok, opinion (I'm not being pejorative)

"They're often ventilated (not sure if you can get vented fabric seats or not)." - I never felt the need to have the seats ventilated (or heated).

"They're easier to clean. They don't stay wet if something gets spilled." - no kids and I'm not that careless ... or more to the point, I don't take long trips where I would need or want to eat or drink in the car. I'm not saying my car interior is show quality, but I don't goober up the seats.

" They're easier to brush off when snow falls on them when you open the door in winter. " - My car is garaged and the fabric seats in my car are pretty easy to brush off the few times I've had some snow on them.

" If it's a big vehicle (large sedan, SUV, super crew F150) it's a lot easier to slide in and out of. " - well, that's not applicable because I'm only looking at smaller SUV class of vehicles.

"They wear better and don't sun fade." - hmmm, maybe I don't keep cars long enough for that to matter, I never needed to worry about seats being worn out or the fabric fading.

I realize that you might think I'm being argumentative - really I'm not. I'm just expressing why the reasons you stated don't really apply to my situation/need.

But thank you.

I'm not sure. Never had the opportunity to sit on one. Supposedly they are supposed to be really good, though, and keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. If that's true, they're probably Galveston - still hot, but there's a nice breeze. :cool:
Some photos I've seen of airline pilot seats show sheepskin on the contact surfaces. Must be a reason...

IIRC US code says that fire alarms (must?) communicate to spread alarms in case you don’t hear the one that detects the problem.

I know, it's the silliest thing to be excited about... But 2 oil changes later and I'm confident buying this oil can cutter thing was a good decision.
This thing cuts through the Tempest filter like butter -- two trips around the blade and you're done. Don't need a vise. Definitely recommend if anyone is in the market.

1695123398984.png

IIRC US code says that fire alarms (must?) communicate to spread alarms in case you don’t hear the one that detects the problem.

for new installations.

However, that communications does not include low battery warnings, nor does it include indicating which alarm detected the problem (unless the alarm is one of the programable announciating ones). For example, in my house, I have 5 units that announciate and 6 units that are just smoke detectors. If one of the 6 smoke detectors goes off, all 11 units will alarm, but there will be no indication of which of the six units alarmed unless I manage to see the red light before it resets.

I wonder what it would have been like if I'd climbed to 7.5 or 9.5 to clear the haze, or if I'd flown a little further to check things out (but wasn't sure if there's room to turn around even near the mouth of the canyon).
I don’t have mountain flying experience so won’t advise there. The thing I’d suggest is you set out on a learning flight with good minimums. Once the flight changed, that’s a good time to ask, “what else can I try today?” While keeping it safe. The climb would be a good idea. Or other activities in plane control where you can expand your minimums. Reduced visibility will get your attention but also start the mental math to detect when it is dropping further.

I have both. Leather is more durable…looks new for way longer. Spill resistance is there too. For everything else, cloth is better or even.

Reactions: WDD
if you have had kids - leather for sure.

Kids are gone now, but I’m with Masliki on that I still prefer leather for durability and ability to keep clean.

I realize that you might think I'm being argumentative - really I'm not. I'm just expressing why the reasons you stated don't really apply to my situation/need.
I don't think you're being argumentative. To each their own - I very much prefer leather over cloth. You like cloth over leather. That's why you can buy cars with both. We may not be interested in buying each others' used cars, but we can still be friends. :)

Back