The North...Northeast...

I have never heard of people pulling over for funeral processions either, particularly going the opposite direction, barring direction from traffic control officers.

Personally, I think that would be hazardous in heavy traffic. And it would be illegal on the freeway, at least here.

Seems like it would cause confusion and hostility unless everyone understands and buys into doing it. It's like the first time I saw a motorcycle lane-splitting in California. I had no idea it was legal since it isn't in most other states.

It's not that it's specifically "legal", it's just not illegal. All other 49 states define how many vehicles can ride abreast in a single traffic lane (normally 1). California does not. You could legally lane split with a semi if the lane was wide enough. Some states allow 2 motorcycles to ride abreast, and some states allow "filtering", which is a motorcycle splitting past stopped traffic at an intersection.

I have never heard of people pulling over for funeral processions either, particularly going the opposite direction, barring direction from traffic control officers.

Personally, I think that would be hazardous in heavy traffic. And it would be illegal on the freeway, at least here.

This isn't something that's done on a busy highway/freeway. The funeral procession is generally on surface streets and somewhat close to the burial site. If the burial site requires getting on a major highway or similar, there is no expectation that traffic will do anything. However, on a highway that runs through a small town (i.e. generally slower speed limits and traffic lights in the vicinity) you will see all traffic pay their respects.

Maybe since you're from the NE you don't understand? ;)

When you're going the opposite direction and a funeral procession comes the other way. You pull over to the curb, stop and don't proceed until the last car (they typically have their lights AND flashers on these days) passes you in the opposite direction.

Opposite direction? Never seen it anywhere.

While on the subject of Ohio, the definition of a Buckeye up here is "A nut that's all over the road and drives Wolverines crazy". :D

It's a Southern thing, showing respect.

The south does not have a monopoly on respect and courtesy nor is it devoid of rudeness and inconsideration. On average, I'd say the people down south are somewhat nicer (at least on the surface) but to me they are about on the same level as rural or small town folks up north. It is just the northern big city folks that are typically rude bastards. I haven't spent enough time in southern big cities to know whether the same is true there.

While on the subject of Ohio, the definition of a Buckeye up here is "A nut that's all over the road and drives Wolverines crazy". :D

The only definition I ever heard for a buckeye is "a worthless nut." Applies to the fans and the actual nuts that fall off the buckeye trees.

When you're going the opposite direction and a funeral procession comes the other way. You pull over to the curb, stop and don't proceed until the last car (they typically have their lights AND flashers on these days) passes you in the opposite direction.

Never seen that done during all my years in PA and IN, and quite frankly can't imagine why it would be done. Driving by on the opposite side of the road, going the opposite direction, is not interfering with the procession, and therefore certainly no sign of disrespect. Nor is passing a procession on the same side of a 4-lane highway.

In PA, funeral processions are permitted to proceed through intersections and traffic signals, and all other traffic must stop to permit them to do so. This I suspect is done more for public safety than respect for the deceased.

JKG

This is America 2016. Everyone is in a hurry. I learned to pull over for emergency vehicles that have lights and/or sirens in operation, funeral processions, wrecked cars, if you hit a dog (state law) and hitchhiker a in the rain/snow. I grew up in New York State. Much closer to Canada than NY city.

As for the OP: bless his heart. (From your friends down south.) :D

Pull over for wrecked cars? How does that work? If everyone pulled over at the scene of a wreck, all traffic would stop moving. People in Philadelphia would never be able to leave their driveways. By contrast, rubber-neckers are both a nuisance and huge traffic safety problem.

In the Commonwealth of PA at least, there are leash laws. If you hit a dog because it's off the leash and on the road, you're off the hook.

JKG

Pull over for wrecked cars? How does that work? If everyone pulled over at the scene of a wreck, all traffic would stop moving. People in Philadelphia would never be able to leave their driveways. By contrast, rubber-neckers are both a nuisance and huge traffic safety problem.

In the Commonwealth of PA at least, there are leash laws. If you hit a dog because it's off the leash and on the road, you're off the hook.

JKG

Hey city boy- there are great expanses of this nation that aren't some overcowded urban sprawl like Philadelphia. If someone hits a deer or moose, or any other thing causes a vehicular accident in a huge portion of rural America, the difference between living and dying is whether or not someone happened along within the critical timeframe between the crash and how long it takes to get a rescue squad on scene. There are still large patches of rural America where cell service is sparse or even non-existant. When you come upon a wrecked vehicle where *I* grew up, you pull over and see if anyone needs help. That's how it works. In the civilized state of New York, if a dog is struck by a motor vehicle the driver must stop and render aid if the owner is not around, and notify law enforcement. That's how it works. Any other questions? The world is bigger than just you, dude. Be a part of it, or be apart from it. Your choice. Good day.

Last edited:
If the guy is dead, he doesn't care if people pull over or not. I generally respect people when they are alive, something the South is still struggling with, bless their hearts.

The deceased may not care a whole lot anymore, but his family in the cars right behind him will . . .

Midwest of what? If you look at a map, Ohio is entirely in the eastern half of the US.
Thirds, not halfs - East, West, Mid-west; and we won't accept Ohio, no way. We choose to lump the lot of 'em (Ohio, Indiana, etc.) in the mud-west, 'cause that's how we roll in the South, even if Mid-west has to be a little fatter. . .

Always considered Ohio to be uniquely in the Great Lakes region... like Michigan. New York is both Great Lakes and Northeast, Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin are both Great Lakes and Midwest. Minnesota is in the Midwest even though it touches Lake Superior, so arguably it is also a Great Lakes state. But Ohio isn't a Northeastern state by any reasonable standard I can think of.

The deceased may not care a whole lot anymore, but his family in the cars right behind him will . . .

I've recently had to be in that lead limo in the funeral procession, and I don't recall any of us giving a crap about what other cars/people were doing. We had other things on our mind.

Never seen that done during all my years in PA and IN, and quite frankly can't imagine why it would be done. Driving by on the opposite side of the road, going the opposite direction, is not interfering with the procession, and therefore certainly no sign of disrespect. Nor is passing a procession on the same side of a 4-lane highway.

Has nothing to do with "interfering" with the procession, and you don't get to solely decide what is and isn't disrespectful (at least not without suffering the consequences) when in a region where it's customary to pull over for the funeral procession. It's a show of respect to the family, and if you were to pass a funeral procession in some of the Southern states I frequent, there's a good chance someone will gladly inform you of what they think of your self-absorbed actions, possibly with some personal threats. I've seen it happen (I was in Arkansas I believe).

Typically, everyone stops for a procession here in rural Oklahoma, even on highways. Most will also flip on their lights, as SoonerAviator said. If you pay attention to other motorists, many will remove their hat as well. Usually, the local police will lead the procession and will have the traffic blocked at intersections. The police stopping traffic always exit their vehicle, and face the procession, hat in hand, as it passes. Perhaps none of it makes any practical sense, but I'm always touched by people taking just a minute to show respect for the departed and to the grieving family and friends, however simple the gesture may be.

Never observed any negative impact to motorists, other than arriving at their destination 1 minute later than expected. But then again, it's the norm here, and there's not much traffic. I can certainly understand how it could be a dangerous situation in more heavily populated places.

Last edited:
I attended funerals when I was young and rode in the procession to the gravesite. I was always in awe of people pulling over for the procession. I grew up in Ohio and had family in Tennessee, it was the same both places. I am now 63, and still pull over for processions on two lane roads, and most of the time for divided highways if the median is not to wide. A person is only on this earth for a short time, end of life will happen to us all. It is only common decency to show some respect for the deceased and the people who have lost someone who are in the procession. It costs nothing as you don t run across one every day. Southwestern Ohio, it is still the norm.

Maybe it's more of a rural thing then, which makes sense. Not as much traffic, and people are perhaps more likely to have known the deceased or the friends and family.

But I don't think it's necessary to criticize those who have never heard of this practice. There are many cultural differences when it comes to funeral customs (and other customs). Now I will have a clue what is going on if I see this, and I'm guessing others in this thread will too.

But I don't think it's necessary to criticize those who have never heard of this practice. There are many cultural differences when it comes to funeral customs (and other customs). Now I will have a clue what is going on if I see this, and I'm guessing others in this thread will too.

True dat. Just like I said in post 28.

Those who have always done it have learned something from this thread too. At least I have.

Lol, well I have done that and that is one thing that leads me to believe that southern city folk are no different than northern or west coast city folks.
Atlanta isn't comprised of mostly southern city folk. It's morons who move here and bring their bad habits with them.

Hey city boy- there are great expanses of this nation that aren't some overcowded urban sprawl like Philadelphia. If someone hits a deer or moose, or any other thing causes a vehicular accident in a huge portion of rural America, the difference between living and dying is whether or not someone happened along within the critical timeframe between the crash and how long it takes to get a rescue squad on scene. There are still large patches of rural America where cell service is sparse or even non-existant. When you come upon a wrecked vehicle where *I* grew up, you pull over and see if anyone needs help. That's how it works. In the civilized state of New York, if a dog is struck by a motor vehicle the driver must stop and render aid if the owner is not around, and notify law enforcement. That's how it works. Any other questions? The world is bigger than just you, dude. Be a part of it, or be apart from it. Your choice. Good day.

med_gallery_56225_1038_62827.jpg

A damn yankee of course is someone from up north. Now if ya move down here AND STAY then you're a GD yankee. :D

I have learned several things from this thread. Some folks abbreviate GD, some don't; geographical, generational, a bit of both?

Sigh ... the mass migration of those from the northern to southern states would indicate something else. Can't imagine people would be coming down in droves if it were such an inhospitable place. Unfortunately, we're just so charming and welcoming that people can't stay away. You may be on to something, though. If we starting acting like the characters we're made out to be, then just maybe people would stop coming here.

Or better yet, we need to build a wall and make you Yankees pay for it!!

That being said, I have traditionally stopped for funerals on either side of the street. Unfortunately, like @Everskyward pointed out, it is hard to know if it is a procession or how many cars are actually part of the procession with all the daytime running lights.

I love how the salty southerners call northerners Yankees. The British called us Yankees, and we soundly kicked their asses, too!

I'm from southern Ohio right on te river. Close enough to West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky to have hillbilly tendencies. And a few "mountains". I stop for a procession if at a redlight or pull over on a two lane road. Most do the same. My drivers Ed teacher taught us that as well as seeing my dad do it.

We kind of have an identity crisis here. We are close enough to Cinci and Columbus to think we are big city folk,but I can leave my house now and within 15 minutes be at a place where people live with no running water.

That's stupid. I'll let the whole procession go if I'm at an intersection, but if they're going down the road in the other direction, why would I stop?

Back