The new plane

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks Bruce:

Did a lot of digging. So far everything is checking out pretty well but CHT temps in a climb. This could be a deal killer.

Lovely interior, a/c is weaker than it should be, low time, great avionics, but in my current A-36, CHT temps limit me and I'm concerned about getting into another bird that may look great, but isn't hitting book numbers. Couldn't do a Vy climb in this bird. Had to go to a cruise climb to keep CHTs reasonable.

We'll do a test flight. Probably take it up to its service ceiling of FL250 and see if it will make book speed. See how it climbs; check cabin pressure at that level. Do the ground speed in three directions to check airspeed indicator for accuracy.

Lots to do!!

Best,

Dave

Yeah, with those kinds of dollars on the line, you have to check everything.
I had fun seeing what my planes would do. One day shortly after I bought my Travel Air with the Rayjays on it,(I had to repair one side as it wasn't making pressure on the port on the test flight, just a seal) I filled the O2 and took off into a cold SoCal winter morn with 50 gallons of fuel to see how high it would climb and how low she'd settle on a single. Since this was about an Ideal Day and Light Plane, this would be as good as it gets, never plan for better. Made 31,280 and came down to 13,860 with the stbd feathered. One thing I really loved about that plane was you could trim it to fly properly on a single engine, made shooting an ILS OEI to <100 ft into Oakland a lot more comfortable. 1000 TT in aircraft didn't hurt either. Gotta love the way a Beech flies, you can trim them right onto the runway, I never really would move my yoke much unless it was real bumpy, I'd just put some pressure on it and trim. Problem with Beeches is that they spoil you for anything else. Few weeks ago I had an interesting deal with a T-Bone, but it had a few too many problems operationally. Maybe eventually you can afford to give up some efficiency and get an Executive BE-18B) B) . Probably about as much cool as one should afford. If you want to turn heads and get attention, it is a rolling, flying, and parked advertisement of coolness.

Thanks Henning. Most of my time is in Beechcraft and, like a lot of other things in life, you always most like what you grew up with.

This plane is really starting to check out as well as we hoped.

Dave

Things checked out well today; controls, exhaust, ADs complied with, boots, hot props, landing gear, engines, etc. Did find a leak in the preconditioning system. Can you imagine taxiing and flying with all the windows closed with no AC here in Texas--99 today. Went through the logs last night and found it a challenge to determine if the plane is Known Ice. Seems the POH (manufacturer's terminology) and FAA definitions are a little different. Did determine the plane is certified to fly into "icing conditions". Evidently, the Duke and King Air are certified to fly into "known icing conditions". Interesting difference. This has all the systems required, boots, hot props, heated stall warning, heated fuel vent, Pitot heat, heated alternate air, ice antennas (and everything called for in the POH). Big debate between ABS reps and Raytheon folks about what the technical difference is. Some say no problemo, others say if the conditions are Known, I'm not legal. Well, I don't intend to deliberately fly into bad stuff, but want to be legal if I encounter it. Confusing.

Everyone now agrees the plane has been maintained well. Any squawks are because there are a lot of systems on here, not because things haven't been properly maintained.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Things checked out well today; controls, exhaust, ADs complied with, boots, hot props, landing gear, engines, etc. Did find a leak in the preconditioning system. Can you imagine taxiing and flying with all the windows closed with no AC here in Texas--99 today. Went through the logs last night and found it a challenge to determine if the plane is Known Ice. Seems the POH (manufacturer's terminology) and FAA definitions are a little different. Did determine the plane is certified to fly into "icing conditions". Evidently, the Duke and King Air are certified to fly into "known icing conditions". Interesting difference. This has all the systems required, boots, hot props, heated stall warning, heated fuel vent, Pitot heat, heated alternate air, ice antennas (and everything called for in the POH). Big debate between ABS reps and Raytheon folks about what the technical difference is. Some say no problemo, others say if the conditions are Known, I'm not legal. Well, I don't intend to deliberately fly into bad stuff, but want to be legal if I encounter it. Confusing.

Everyone now agrees the plane has been maintained well. Any squawks are because there are a lot of systems on here, not because things haven't been properly maintained.

Dave

Dave, AFaIK the difference between an airplane "certified for flikght in known icing conditions" and one that is "properly equipped for flight in icing conditions" is the certified version is tested and found to be in compliance with the FAA's requirements (which have probably evolved over the years) and the latter isn't. Also the former is actually only required for part 135 and large or turbine aircraft. WRT part 91, most aircraft not certified for known icing come with something (POH limitations etc) that prohibits flight in icing conditions. I'm also under the impression that such limitations need to be specified in the TCDS to become a true requirement.

Thanks Lance. That's the track the ABS folks are on--Tom Turner in particular. It's a little confusing when one starts splitting hairs with folks that are very technical.

The Raytheon folks said this plane has everything the factory specified to be flown into icing conditions. Interested that there are not boots on the wind between the engines and fuselage. They are on the 58 but not the P. Dave at Raytheon's explanation was on the P, when doing the icing certs, the accumulation was not significant enough to require them.

BTW and this may be another topic, I got a young guy at the factory first who was trying to help but could only recite what the book said or tell me what drawings looked like. I called back and got Dave who is about to retire. He just knew this stuff cold. Had great insight. Told me he is retiring in less than 40 days.
We are going to lose quite a bit of talent in the next few years at Raytheon when it comes to having been around when 80s aircraft were designed and manufactured. Dave related there were several key folks were leaving soon.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
BTW and this may be another topic, I got a young guy at the factory first who was trying to help but could only recite what the book said or tell me what drawings looked like. I called back and got Dave who is about to retire. He just knew this stuff cold. Had great insight. Told me he is retiring in less than 40 days.
We are going to lose quite a bit of talent in the next few years at Raytheon when it comes to having been around when 80s aircraft were designed and manufactured. Dave related were several key folks were leaving soon.

Dave

It's not just at Raytheon either. A lot of knowledge is retiring especially in aviation, and it just isn't being replaced.

If it is, in fact, certified for know ice, you're gonna like the pressurization. Unlike you, I had not been above 12k before I bought the 421. It "usually" is a better trip up in the teens, low 20's.

Thanks guys.

Gaston's was high on the agenda for the weekend of June 25th; however, my Son, Daugher and Granddaughter may be coming out that weekend. If they are, I have to defer to them. Don't know if they'll feel like flying for over four hours with the one-year-old on Sunday. But I will ask, and their plans aren't firm yet. If they do come out and don't want to fly around, you have to understand; It's my GRANDDAUGHTER!! Like, the only grandbaby except'in for in-laws.

We'll see and let y'all know.

If I don't get out there, I'll sure miss see'in everyone. Got my fingers crossed they don't mind fly'in around, but Miss Abbey is still quite a handful for my daughter.

Best,

Dave

Dave;

As my son says "It is a nice ride" Good luck with that 58P. It looks great and have fun.

John J

Lance: What's that mean? R U sure the person next to the props isn't small ;-)

Thanks John.

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
I called back and got Dave who is about to retire. He just knew this stuff cold. Had great insight. Told me he is retiring in less than 40 days.
We are going to lose quite a bit of talent in the next few years at Raytheon when it comes to having been around when 80s aircraft were designed and manufactured. Dave related there were several key folks were leaving soon.

Congratulations on the twin, Dave, you're going to love that plane. Very pretty.

On the Bonanza guys retiring... the ABS needs to try to get these guys online with them (pay them some money [whatever it takes] to be part of the technical resource staff).

Troy

Thanks Bill and Andrew. Will be trying to complete the ground school and ten hours of dual requirement in the next couple weeks. Then, I'll probably take a short trip and check the plane out. Hope it's Gastons!!

You bet Troy. Tom Turner knows the person of which I'm speaking. Hope something works out.

Dave

Closed the P-Baron on Tuesday.

Sorry I've been off board a bit. It's really been hectic at work, then there are a lot of things to do to get the new bird positioned properly and get the A-36 sold. Will be in ground school Saturday and went to Wisconsin and back last weekend for my niece's HS graduation. Just catching up!!

Best,

Dave

Back