The ne IFR charts SUCK!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I used to only need a single chart to get from here to Philadelphia. Now I need 3 of them! I need three charts just to cover the state of Michigan.

What pinhead came up with this "improvement" ?

The SE charts suck the big one, too. :mad:

The trip I take most of the time (Atlanta/Jacksonville) was previously covered by one map -- L19/L20.

Now I gotta get L17/L18 (which stretches due west from ATL all the way past DFW! :dunno:), and L23/L24. If I ever have to divert a little to the southwest, say near Tallahasee, I probably oughta keep L21/L22 with me too, and as a bonus, I will get the entire Gulf of Mexico with that. Handy for a single engine aircraft.

Wouldn't it be better if they aligned these things a little better with approach plate and/or AFD state groupings?

The only possible thing I might like about these new maps is that the scale looks a bit bigger. Starting to get important as I'm getting closer to the big 4-0. :redface:

-Rich

I used to only need a single chart to get from here to Philadelphia. Now I need 3 of them! I need three charts just to cover the state of Michigan.

What pinhead came up with this "improvement" ?
\

Yeah! Same thing here. One chart got me PA, NJ, DE, DC, Part of MD and NY now I need like 3-4. What were they thinking. For me its worth the $90 a year for the Jepp charts from Maine down to NC.

The Florida charts really suck. Used to be just one for the who state now you need three.

As for Midwest flying I only need one for most of my flying now but the seam for the page flip is right along the path I fly the most. A vector one way or the other and I will be flipping the damn things the entire flight.

Last edited:
But the Chicago chart actually seems a little better. I changed from two in my subscription to only one.

Well, some people got fewer, other's got more, but since the charts cover less space than before (they ARE bigger), most people got at least one more. And depending on the routes and directions you fly, you may get better coverage.

NACO actually did an analysis of routes flown IFR and found that the new chart layouts covered more routes on fewer charts than before. If that doesn't fit YOU, then you're obviously flying to the wrong places!

I love the airchart system. Easy to keep up to date and no more folding and unfolding charts, making sure I have the right charts for the flight etc.

\

Yeah! Same thing here. One chart got me PA, NJ, DE, DC, Part of MD and NY now I need like 3-4. What were they thinking. For me its worth the $90 a year for the Jepp charts from Maine down to NC.

We really got hosed in the NE! LNS is in the bottom corner of one of those coastal charts, which are no longer duplicated by the east/west oriented charts. I only had to add one chart to my Sporty's subscription, but flights slightly inland on the east coast are going to be a nightmare of chart flipping.

Jim G

I love the airchart system. Easy to keep up to date and no more folding and unfolding charts, making sure I have the right charts for the flight etc.

Me too. Subscribe to the IFR and eastern VFR charts. Sweet, easy to use, nice size to keep in your lap as you fly.

I need 3 separate charts now instead of 2, which is kind of a pain... but wow, I love the new scale I saw on one of the charts. I can actually find things among what used to be a cluttered mess. I guess I have to remain neutral.

I need 3 separate charts now instead of 2, which is kind of a pain... but wow, I love the new scale I saw on one of the charts. I can actually find things among what used to be a cluttered mess. I guess I have to remain neutral.

Same here. Going from ELP to either SoCal or up to ABQ used to all be on L3/L4...now need three charts! :(

OTOH, we now have greatly expanded scale on all the vast areas of desert wilderness where there's not much to chart! :dunno:

Ah...progress! Guess I'll remain neutral, too. I mean it IS the FAA, and they always know what's best for us!!

Mike

Am I the only one who laments deletion of the A/G Frequency information??

Use the Jepp, Luke. ;-)
I like their charts better but they started nickel and diming everyone. I was getting the Express packs. New plates and charts each cycle. Then they stopped the charts unless there was a change to them without reducing the cost/year. Then they cut out the charts altogether, again no price reduction. A few months later they send a condescending letter stating they heard we would like charts and they can add them in for a few dollars more. That is when I switched to NACO.

Originally Posted by DoubleD
Am I the only one who laments deletion of the A/G Frequency information??
What is that?What is that?
That's the air/ground frequency information. It includes tower hours, all tha main frequencies for the airport, including VOT frequencies and the like. Now you need to make a point to carry all the latest AF/D's for the airports you'll be visiting, and have them readily available. I really don't like this change!

Back