The most frustrating aviation scene of all time?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
What's your nomination for most frustrating aviation scene in a movie or TV show?

I'll start. The space shuttle scene from The Core.

They clearly flew past LAX and BUR to land in a river ... because reasons I guess.

Everytime the sound mixer uses the wrong engine sounds. Just saw San Andreas on TV the other day and caught the scene of the Cessna Caravan starting up and taking off, sounded like a DC-3. Is it really that hard?

I'll start. The space shuttle scene from The Core.

They clearly flew past LAX and BUR to land in a river ... because reasons I guess.
Yep. That's gotta be right up there. I never even heard of that movie.

Everytime the sound mixer uses the wrong engine sounds. Just saw San Andreas on TV the other day and caught the scene of the Cessna Caravan starting up and taking off, sounded like a DC-3. Is it really that hard?
Yup. Turbine helicopters with piston-engine sounds, and the helicopter lifting off as the engine RPM rises and lands while the RPM falls. Don't they ever watch the real thing?

Pretty much every early MrAviation video ever made.

Yep. That's gotta be right up there. I never even heard of that movie.
That's not even the worst part of the movie.

Con Air annoys me with the portable transponders.

There was a Six Million Dollar Man episode where Steve Austin used the ident button to send Morse code. Yeah, right. I gave them a small amount of credit about knowing that there was an IDENT button, but not knowing how it works.

Yup. Turbine helicopters with piston-engine sounds, and the helicopter lifting off as the engine RPM rises and lands while the RPM falls. Don't they ever watch the real thing?
Was told years ago most movie goers expect a certain sound from a helicopter and/or that properly editing the correct helicopter soundtrack was never in the budget. Now watch a few movies where a helicopter is more the star and they at least try to make the turbine side to work. The classic Deadly Encounter makes a valid attempt with the opening scene but even that is severely edited. Regardless its still fun to watch.

The scene in "Horizon Line" where the passenger climbs out on the wing to refill the fuel tank with alcohol WHILE THE PLANE IS FLYING! Of course, you can pretty much pick any scene from that movie - yikes!

As for sequels, the original Airport movie was pretty good (and even better if you read the novel on which it is based), but the rest are pretty schlocky..

The barricade scene on The Final Countdown. Why was the pilot hauled off in a stretcher? Did getting caught between 1980 and 1941 scramble his brain or something?

Armageddon, where the surviving shuttle has holes punched all throughout it from asteroids yet it survives reentry and lands.

Landing the shuttle in space cowboys using Mavericks trick to slow down by pulling the nose up:

Not as much of a scene as the whole experience…We went to see the movie about Reno Air Racing (can’t recall the name-came out years ago) when it was making the circuit on IMAX theaters…was most excited about hearing Strega’s Merlin on theater surround sound. Instead we got mostly narration.

Landing the shuttle in space cowboys using Mavericks trick to slow down by pulling the nose up:

I don't really have an issue with that. Any speed besides best glide is going to get you below current glide path.

Airplane Repo...all of it.
Yeah, that business of treating public-use airports like Fort Knox was always a laugh, and calling Telluride "members-only." :rolleyes:

Nobody called out Dan Gryder? Or just keeping it competitive with theater releases?

At about the 4:30 mark. It truly doesn't get any better than that.
I generally like stupid B movies. I said to myself, "just how bad could it be".

It was truly bad as everyone said.

Back