The Most Difficult Part of IFR Aviation

I go into Hawthorne a few times a year, also been to CMA, SMO, CRQ, and CMO, UDD in the past year but HHR is more regular. Fly out of Concord KCCR. Depending on the winds I'll file for gorman or fillmore then airways to the Powup intersection. Despite my efforts to avoid a reroute I am yet not to get one. I've gotten vectors from FIM (which is easy) radials off of SMO, Airways to LAX then vectors. I don't have an autopilot so being in IMC while trying to plug in frequencies and write down new routing while trying to keep the plane straight can be a chore. It seems like whatever I file for they try to give me something else coming over the pass. I have always crossed the pass at 11k. Descents into there are a blast. I like seeing all the stopped traffic on the freeways while flying 180mph + right over their heads!

You might try filing what ever works for getting out of CCR to get on V485 then VTU V299 SADDE V107 SMO POPPR KHHR. Go to the Southwest A/FD to find out more about the Southern California TEC system, page 422. The route above is pretty much equivalant to the VTUN8 Route. It's been a long time since I worked down there, but I think this might keep any reroutes a little easier. An airplane coming from the northwest going through the Burbank sectors to HHR does not fit with anything else happening there.

mohamedpac said:
For me it's definitely receiving IFR clearances, especially in the air, in an area you're unfamiliar with. *** And there's a lot of pressure to get it right the first time reading it back when the controller is busy.

Asking for the spelling helps out a lot.
Definitely. ATC tends to think we are familiar with the area. That's probably based on experience; chances are most of the light aircraft they handle are relatively local. I've only been in this area for 3 years and still find myself asking for spelling of navaids and fixes. Just about every time I get an amended clearance as I flex my wings and explore the area.

No pressure at all. It's about getting the clearance correctly so we don't cause a problem for that busy controller later. At least 90% of the time, any "pressure" is created completely by us and out egos.

We talk a lot about short crisp communications and I'm a big fan of that. But there is a huge difference between filler phrases like "with you" and rambling on about your position and request on the one hand, and a request to spell unfamiliar fixes so you get your clearance correct on the other.[/quote]

Its funny looking at this thread, all the concern about VFR GA pilots flying IFR.

I spent the entire day today at "swift camp" an annual event where swift owners gather for a week and help each other complete annuals etc... Most of the swift owners are retired or close to retirement airline or military pilots. They were all talking about how difficult it is to adapt to VFR flying after a career of flying IFR. Feelings of helplessness, confusion. No joke.
I've always thought that's probably the reason the general progression of private → instrument → commercial: to get us back to flying VFR.
I recall doing an FBO checkout for a pilot who had just received his instrument rating. When I pointed out the large, prominent road crossing that marked a transition to a higher Class B floor, he immediately ran cross-radials on it so he could find it again. Apparently those large roads are really hard to see with 120 miles of visibility ;)

You might try filing what ever works for getting out of CCR to get on V485 then VTU V299 SADDE V107 SMO POPPR KHHR. Go to the Southwest A/FD to find out more about the Southern California TEC system, page 422. The route above is pretty much equivalant to the VTUN8 Route. It's been a long time since I worked down there, but I think this might keep any reroutes a little easier. An airplane coming from the northwest going through the Burbank sectors to HHR does not fit with anything else happening there.

Good advice. When I am down there I use the TEC system to get around but never even considered using the routes as part of my route from home. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardest part of IFR flying for me is dealing with ATC. Not criticizing ATC, they do a great job, usually. But filing, getting cleared, getting route changed (oh no, crisis in the cockpit!), not completely understanding what ATC wants all put a little concern under the joy of flying in the clouds. I can see why there are TWO pilots. Lots more fun and safer too! One to fly the plane, the other to take care of comms and checklists. Also, pick each other's brains so we don't do something wrong. If we don't agree, why? Theres something there to figure out. Figuring IFR out is a good challenge!

When I first got my ticket I was a bit nervous dealing with ATC. Basically fearful that I would not understand something or they would get frustrated with me. I look back at that and laugh. We were heading to Lauderdale exec the other night and we had a clearance reroute. Called in "ready to copy" and he spit it out so quick I was literally laughing. And I was not the only qualified pilot on board. I called back "I know you're busy, but I caught none of the clearance, please slow down and say again, N222CD". You could hear him sigh, but he slowed down, and we were able to copy. ATC does a fantastic job down here in Florida but sometimes they are in such a hurry they end up having to repeat themselves.

Funny thing though is that EVERY damn time I get a reroute it always gets changed... Seems like as soon as you get the next hand off it's "N222CD direct BRIKL"... and all that writing and programming for nuthin :) :)

Back