The MC needs your input: call for fresh "sticky" threads

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hey, PoA community! The Management Council is starting an effort to clean and refresh the list of "sticky" threads at the top of each subforum. YOU can help, by nominating a particular favorite thread, that you think deserves sticky status.

To qualify for sticky status, a thread should:
-- have been helpful, informative, a useful reference, and/or inspiring
-- not be full of bickering/vitriol/namecalling/SZ/RoC-violations, etc.
-- be <5 years old (as a guideline)
-- not be a link to a YouTube video or personal webpage or other potentially-monetizable product outside of the forum

You *can* nominate an existing sticky thread (even if it is old) to remain so. The plan is to unsticky-ify many of them otherwise.

If you comment briefly on WHY you think the thread should be stickyified, that would be great!

I'll start:

For the "Pilot Training" forum, I nominate the "Student Pilots: where do we stand?" thread:
Link: So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?
Why? Because it's inspiring, and a great thing for new users (and new pilots) to find first when they explore this forum, to meet us and each other. Even though it started in 2013, it's still going strong.

I'm spearheading "Project Sticky", so you can also PM me if you want to nominate something privately.

--Kath, for the MC

I think EVERY thread that mentions "mooney is the biggest bang for your buck" should be autostickified.

also, I've said it before but that student pilot thread is the best thread of all time. and I rarely go in there but I think it should be nominated for a PoA webby award or something. also, where the F is JasonM?

EDIT: also, any thread that mentions 'cole slaw' or 'metal landing calculator' should be a sticky.

No particular one, but a general FAQ on I had a DUI/SSRI/mental health issue and I want to get a medical. Is that a problem?

Hey, PoA community! The Management Council is starting an effort to clean and refresh the list of "sticky" threads at the top of each subforum. YOU can help, by nominating a particular favorite thread, that you think deserves sticky status.

To qualify for sticky status, a thread should:
-- have been helpful, informative, a useful reference, and/or inspiring
-- not be full of bickering/vitriol/namecalling/SZ/RoC-violations, etc.
-- be <5 years old (as a guideline)
-- not be a link to a YouTube video or personal webpage or other potentially-monetizable product outside of the forum

You *can* nominate an existing sticky thread (even if it is old) to remain so. The plan is to unsticky-ify many of them otherwise.

If you comment briefly on WHY you think the thread should be stickyified, that would be great!

I'll start:

For the "Pilot Training" forum, I nominate the "Student Pilots: where do we stand?" thread:
Link: So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?
Why? Because it's inspiring, and a great thing for new users (and new pilots) to find first when they explore this forum, to meet us and each other. Even though it started in 2013, it's still going strong.

I'm spearheading "Project Sticky", so you can also PM me if you want to nominate something privately.

--Kath, for the MC
I would suggest that whichever threads are selected also retain their place in the main body of the forum. I tend to not even look up at the top where stickys are. Many of the ones that are there don’t seem to get replied to very often. It would be a shame to relegate an active thread to a place that might seem somehow ‘historical.’

I’ll second the daily pic nomination.

And probably something from @AggieMike88 on what to do before you get your “official” medical.

I don’t know where to find these, but they come up time to time:

IFR intensive 2 week course discussion sticky?

“What’s the best test prep”?

Checkride testimony.

How about only one sticky, "How to search" it's just a link to Google with a site:pilotsofamerica.com at the end

I think EVERY thread that mentions "mooney is the biggest bang for your buck" should be autostickified.

Hahaha I agree.

Can we also get one where we rage about financing or not financing toys??

No particular one, but a general FAQ on I had a DUI/SSRI/mental health issue and I want to get a medical. Is that a problem?
Yes, it would be great to get some nominations for:
-- threads about SSRI's/anxiety/depression
-- threads about ADHD
-- threads about alcohol/DUI's
There are so many, and the same questions get asked over and over, over in Medical Topics. Maybe we could collect several good ones, on each topic.

yep, exactly what we want at the top, highlited and bolded for everyone to see..........."hey, I'm an alcoholic with 3 DUI's, how do I become a pilot?"

I agree with @ja_user , make a sticky about how to search for stuff BEFORE posting, not that anyone will read it.

Would like to get the Rough River sub-forum created since that looks to have legs. Gaston’s isn’t dead yet (tm), but some of those other fly ins may be.

Would like to get the Rough River sub-forum created since that looks to have legs. Gaston’s isn’t dead yet (tm), but some of those other fly ins may be.
6y9 is still a thing. I've heard mooneys have made it in there in the past...

6y9 is still a thing. I've heard mooneys have made it in there in the past...
Oh, we were scheduled to be there. Even brushed up my short field landing technique. And then…well some bent metal had me down that weekend. Ran across those pictures last night and still feels like a gut punch.

Oh, we were scheduled to be there. Even brushed up my short field landing technique. And then…well some bent metal had me down that weekend. Ran across those pictures last night and still feels like a gut punch.
oh, I forgot about that :(

Back