The Man From Thud Ridge

I seem to recall reading Thud Ridge about 20 years ago. And I think I had a computer game at the time by the same name.
What the whole Vietnam experience should show everyone is that when you let loose the dogs of war, let go of the leash. I doubt North Vietnam would have continued fighting if we hit them as hard as we could, where we could, and when we could. The rules prohibited a favorable outcome and destroyed many a good man's career.
As to the Russian ships getting hit, you're in a war zone. What do you expect? And we all know you weren't bringing in humanitarian supplies.

*shrug*. The man destroyed evidence and admitted to it. The pilots were acquitted. It would seem to be an appropriate outcome all around.

The only one who didnt' get what was coming to them was the desk jockey pencil pushers who kept the whole things alive.

The only one who didnt' get what was coming to them was the desk jockey pencil pushers who kept the whole things alive.

And the two morons in Washington that created that insane situation in the first place. Hope they rot in hell for the lives they cost.

*shrug*. The man destroyed evidence and admitted to it. The pilots were acquitted. It would seem to be an appropriate outcome all around.

Can't say I disagree. Might have been a better outcome had he fought for his men within the rules. I don't think willfully breaking rules can be so easily forgiven, even if it is for a worthy cause.

Ed Rasimus had a few comments about Broughton back in the usenet days. Evidently Broughton returned fire quite accurately.

I think it's understatement to say they were operating under difficult constraints and acted as rationally as they could.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that even Olds backed away from the court-martial proceedings.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that even Olds backed away from the court-martial proceedings.

I would have though Olds would have stood up more for Broughton. They had pretty similar background having flown combat in THREE WARS. Unreal.

The ROE's for that war, and probably the more recent ones also are a disgrace. Let the politicians go do some actual fighting and let them live (die) with them.

I haven't had a chance to read Olds' daughter/grand-daughter's (I forget) book yet... it's on the list... just haven't made it there.

(I've been slogging through Selby Foote's three big Civil War books, which are a good read, but it's like having three copies of War and Peace back to back...)

I haven't had a chance to read Olds' daughter/grand-daughter's (I forget) book yet... it's on the list... just haven't made it there.

(I've been slogging through Selby Foote's three big Civil War books, which are a good read, but it's like having three copies of War and Peace back to back...)

Foote's books are great. And you'll enjoy the Olds biography, as well.

I red Old's biography last vacation ... I did enjoy it.

Back