The machines are coming for our jobs

No joke, I've had numerous cagers nearly kill me with idiotic road stunts. Recently, almost all of them were either looking at or had their ear glued to a phone. Idiotic drivers have always been murder machines, but it has gotten way more prevalent in later days. Plenty dangerous for me I'd say.
That’s why we quit riding and sold the bike. When we started riding, I had to be on alert for the occasional driver DWO ( Driving While Oblivious). The last few years we rode, it was more like about a third of the cars we saw were driver-less. Oh, there was some occupying the left front seat, but they were too busy effing with their cell phones to drive.

I wonder how many people claiming cagers are trying to kill them actually pay attention to traffic.... or do they ride in the middle of the street as if they have this magic shield around them?
No, they don’t. The danger is real and getting worse every year for even the most defensive riders.

That’s why we quit riding and sold the bike. When we started riding, I had to be on alert for the occasional driver DWO ( Driving While Oblivious). The last few years we rode, it was more like about a third of the cars we saw were driver-less. Oh, there was some occupying the left front seat, but they were too busy effing with their cell phones to drive.
I wouldn't gainsay your decision, things are really bad where I work as in addition to the phone folks there are numerous drivers unfamiliar to the area who are easily as dangerous. The combination of a fast bike and my Steiny sense seem to keep my out of dutch, I hope it stays that way. It would kill me to have to put down the bike.

The thread about the shortage of aircraft mechanics made me wonder: When the robots have "taken all our jobs," will there be a shortage of mechanics to keep the robots in working order?

The thread about the shortage of aircraft mechanics made me wonder: When the robots have "taken all our jobs," will there be a shortage of mechanics to keep the robots in working order?

Only GA robots. The others can be owner maintained.

"We designed the machines that make the machines that design the machines that maintain the machines the other machines build."

Nauga,
and buffalo^8

I wouldn't gainsay your decision, things are really bad where I work as in addition to the phone folks there are numerous drivers unfamiliar to the area who are easily as dangerous. The combination of a fast bike and my Steiny sense seem to keep my out of dutch, I hope it stays that way. It would kill me to have to put down the bike.
We were riding for enjoyment. It got to the point where it wasn’t very enjoyable most of the time. The codger I sold it to is probably still loving it.

I believe my Spidey Sense has kept me alive riding motorcycles for the last 45 years. But I noticed even Spider-Man gets the crap knocked out of him occasionally.

I always wonder why the rules say a bicycle should use the roadway instead of sidewalks.
Depends on the cyclist. If the are truly going only 10mph, then yes use the sidewalk. At 25 mph, they don't mix well with pedestrians. I'm the latter and choose not to ride on the sidewalk, with the dogs on leashes, roller bladers etc. Give me 3 feet clearance and pass away. Or chill for all of 30 seconds and I'll wave you by when there's a good space.

Depends on the cyclist. If the are truly going only 10mph, then yes use the sidewalk. At 25 mph, they don't mix well with pedestrians. I'm the latter and choose not to ride on the sidewalk, with the dogs on leashes, roller bladers etc. Give me 3 feet clearance and pass away. Or chill for all of 30 seconds and I'll wave you by when there's a good space.
That’s the best answer yet.

Why would you assume robots won't be able to do that also? I mean, my neighbor worked for roomba remanufacturing broken robotic vacuum cleaners and Chat-GPT is definitely smarter than he is...

Why would you assume robots won't be able to do that also?...
Because of my experience in troubleshooting, and because so-called "artificial intelligence" reportedly has difficulty in dealing with situations it hasn't experienced before.

One could also turn the question around: Why would you assume that robots will be able to achieve the level of reasoning ability to be able to do it?

Last edited:
Why would you assume robots won't be able to do that also? I mean, my neighbor worked for roomba remanufacturing broken robotic vacuum cleaners and Chat-GPT is definitely smarter than he is...

Robots do assembling a car is a static environment. Put it in a dynamic environment where each vehicle, even same make, model, and year, is different and that becomes orders of magnitude more difficult for a robot.

Is there room for robotic assistance? Sure, you’ve seen that in surgical suites over the last couple of decades, but that robot doesn’t take the place of a surgeon.

Because of my experience in troubleshooting, and because so-called "artificial intelligence" reportedly has difficulty in dealing with situations it hasn't experienced before.

It's not like my neighbor is any good at dealing with situations he hasn't encountered before. When he runs into one, someone trains him. But, unlike my neighbor, once someone trains the robot once, it knows the solution forever. And so does every other robot in the factory. Every low wage worker, like my neighbor, has to be trained individually and when they decide to work somewhere else that training has to be done again with their replacement.

One could also turn the question around: Why would you assume that robots will be able to achieve the level of reasoning ability to be able to do it?

Because machines are already better at diagnosing diseases than human doctors and diagnosing diseases is vastly more complex than fixing a robot.

Robots do assembling a car is a static environment. Put it in a dynamic environment where each vehicle, even same make, model, and year, is different and that becomes orders of magnitude more difficult for a robot.

This is the hard part. And it will be solved, because it's not hard because it's complicated. It's hard because it's hardware and hardware doesn't scale the way software does. There is tons of lower hanging fruit (also real jobs that real people currently do, like driving trucks) that will come first because the economics are more obvious, but there it nothing stopping it. 6dof robots exist. Hell, humanoid robots that can modify their environment and do backflips exist. Machines that work together cooperatively to solve problems exist. Machines that can diagnose complicated things like human diseases exist. The only thing stopping machines from fixing machines is for someone to find a way to make money at it.

without the prop 65 label how will I know that wood, coffee, and nearly every cooked food causes cancer?
I saw feedback on Amazon yesterday with a 1 rating claiming to be returning the item because when it arrived there was a cancer warning on it and the ad didn’t say it was cancer causing “prop something or other” so it was false advertising. It was for a plastic hardware organizer tray….

Back