The guy who actually buzzed the tower

Know of a few that buzzed the tower, saw one when I was in the tower by F4s. I loved it. :D

There were actually 2 flybys in that scene. One on Miramar tower and one on Fallon tower (last scene).

I showed up to Miramar maybe a few weeks prior to the tower closing. They used it for crash fire rescue for a few years and then finally removed it all together. Should’ve put it in the Naval Aviation Museum.

Last edited:
Another artistic license taken, other than the crazy flyby, is an O-5 Air Boss working local. In reality it would be an enlisted Sailor or maybe the ATCFO (Lt). Air Ops O / manager might stop in tower for coffee and a chat but they wouldn’t be working aircraft.

Last edited:
Another artistic license taken, other than the crazy flyby, is an O-5 Air Boss working local. In reality it would be an enlisted Sailor or maybe the ATCFO (Lt). Air Ops O / manager might stop in tower for coffee and a chat but they wouldn’t be working aircraft.

Geez, way to ruin the movie. :D

Geez, way to ruin the movie. :D

Never let facts get in the way of a good movie! Like Maverick riding his motorcycle on 24L while an F-14 is on the go on 24R. Totally against regs but I get goosebumps when I watch that scene.

Never let facts get in the way of a good movie! Like Maverick riding his motorcycle on 24L while an F-14 is on the go on 24R. Totally against regs but I get goosebumps when I watch that scene.

The motorcycle ride down the runway was always a bit much. Enjoyed the flying scenes and some of the antics junior officers typically pull...especially since I was one at the time the movie came out, not that I ever participated in stupid Lieutenant sh*t at the O'Club...

Some interesting stories from Cruise about training for Top Gun.

Now now. We all watch that movie for the ambiguously gay volleyball scene. :)

I like how their dog tags are slapping them in the face. :DSomeone should have told the director, they don’t wear the stupid things in their off time. Especially if conducting PT where it could cause an injury.

I like how their dog tags are slapping them in the face. :DSomeone should have told the director, they don’t wear the stupid things in their off time. Especially if conducting PT where it could cause an injury.

Didn't someone recently say, "Never let facts get in the way of a good movie!" :D

Not just off time. None of us wore the damn things starting the day after boot camp.

I agree with Velocity and Top Gun is one movie that I will watch if it is on. The only thing that really bugs me is that when they're flying, they say everything twice. The only thing that really bugs me is that when they're flying, they say everything twice.

Not just off time. None of us wore the damn things starting the day after boot camp.

In 22 years, I only wore mine on deployments. Never wore them in garrison or on local training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 22 years, I only wore mine on deployments. Never wore them in garrison or on local training.

I got a new set every time I deployed. In basic I was scared so I told the truth (Protestant) then over the years I realized it really didn't matter, so I have a set each of Roman Catholic, Buddhist, Jehova's Witness and Church of Scientology.

I got a new set every time I deployed. In basic I was scared so I told the truth (Protestant) then over the years I realized it really didn't matter, so I have a set each of Roman Catholic, Buddhist, Jehova's Witness and Church of Scientology.

I have no idea how many sets I had over the years. I think I still have 3 or more sets. I think a couple of old girlfriends took some. I do know I have kept one tag on my key ring for 25-30 years...longer than I was in. I had Southern Baptist or simply Baptist or Protestant on mine though I was Presbyterian by the time I retired. Figured they were close enough.

I did also wear them on jump ops. Required. Never a bad idea on big ac with many folks.

Weird, I was never even issued a single set of dog tags. Have never worn them, flying or otherwise.

One time we were issued a set that were very obviously made by the lowest bidder. All the usual information was there except country. A month later we were told to return them. I said I lost mine. Cost me 50 cents, but I still have them.

I usually kept a tag laced into the strings of one boot.

I think it was supposed to look like he was on a nearby road. There is one fairly close to the runway. I went for a bike ride on it once. But that's not where he was.

I think it was supposed to look like he was on a nearby road. There is one fairly close to the runway. I went for a bike ride on it once. But that's not where he was.

Yep. I believe that was the intent of the director as well.

I had an airfield license and drove all around that area. It’s all dirt roads. The only asphalt road is the perimeter road and it’s a good ways away and doesn’t parallel 24R as in the movie. Plus, you can see the white runway borderline, runway lights and the wind sock in the background.

What’s even more funny is when he drives along side the approach lights right at the runway overrun on 24R. It’s like they’re trying to depict him driving into the sunset or something. There’s no where to go! It’s a dead end. :D

I'm a pilot and have seen that movie a dozen times, and until this thread, I never noticed he was on a runway.

I'm a pilot and have seen that movie a dozen times, and until this thread, I never noticed he was on a runway.

I just watched a clip of it, and it sure doesn't look like a runway to me. No runway edge lights or signage, what you can see of the edge looks rough, like a gravel or dirt road.

Back