The great conveyor belt

Henning said:
There is one factor being left out here, the carcas strength of the tire. Tires are built to stay together up to a certain speed. If it ends up blowing out a tire overspeeding it your takeoff may get pooched.

True. But how fast can a new off the shelf GA tire spin before shredding itself? In most cases we're talking a takeoff in the 40-60mph range so that's 80-120mph rotational speed with the belt going the opposite direction. I've seen a few idiots land at nearly 100mph (screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech) without popping the tire and based on that, something like a cub should be able to get off the surface before the tire blows out unless you're talking worn out 31" tundra tires or something.

GaryO said:
But everyone seems to be neglecting that there is also friction between the conveyor and the air. This friction will cause an airflow in the direction of the conveyor's travel and thus result in airspeed for the airplane.
The result is that the airplane will be able to lift off into ground effect with no trouble at all.

That boundary layer air movement would be only a few inches thick at most which is unlikely to do much in the way of lifting the plane off the surface at the speeds the belt is operating. It won't do more than hit the bottom of the wheels and most likely add more drag than lift to the plane. Helps some, hurts some.

Last edited:
GaryO said:
The result is that the airplane will be able to lift off into ground effect with no trouble at all.

High wing or low wing?

fgcason said:
True. But how fast can a new off the shelf GA tire spin before shredding itself? In most cases we're talking a takeoff in the 40-60mph range so that's 80-120mph rotational speed with the belt going the opposite direction. I've seen a few idiots land at nearly 100mph (screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech) without popping the tire and based on that, something like a cub should be able to get off the surface before the tire blows out unless you're talking worn out 31" tundra tires or something.
The impact stress of spinning the tire up from 0 MPH to 100MPH on landing is MUCH MUCH greater than the stress of the actual rotation at same speed, as well, so the tires should be able to hold up just fine.

Greebo said:
The impact stress of spinning the tire up from 0 MPH to 100MPH on landing is MUCH MUCH greater than the stress of the actual rotation at same speed, as well, so the tires should be able to hold up just fine.

:D The way you land, maybe not....:D

j/k;)

-Skip

Chuck's arrival depicted below!

Last edited:
Missa said:
Eamon, Re read the question, CAREFULLY. I do not think it says what you think it says.

It says the conveyer matches the speed of the plane, not that the conveyer matches the speed of the plane that would be produced by the engine thrust in a non-conveyer system. So you and David Hunt are reading something into the question that was not stated.

"Speed" by definition is relative motion (don't make me quote websters!) and since the plane has speed it is moveing & by the fact that there is no reverse on most airplanes, it's moving forward creating a realitive wind over the wing and producing lift..
Again, picture this in reverse. Let me start the treadmill backward at 5 kts. You add power to maintain a stationary position. What is your speed? Are you moving? Have you not matched the "speed" of the belt, just the reverse of the problem? You are moving relative to the belt and have a "speed" associated with that movement. If you can always add power to remain stationary regardless of how fast I set the treadmill backwards, why can't I always set the treadmill to match your power?

Missa said:
Oh, and one more thing. Since we have entered the imagnary world where we can make a big coveyer that can produce a speed in the exact oppisite direction of the moving airplane, I would have to say that coveyer would have to have frictonless bareings, a drive unit that can produce as much power as necessary, and be made of industrictable material. You can't put a real airplane in this imagnary world and have a meaningfull debate so it's only logical that this plane has the same chareteristics as the imagnary conveyer so stop the debate on how long till we blow out the tires or bareing of the aiplane because I'm sure we would blow out a real conveyer of that massive side long before we blow out the real airplane tires... it's an ideal airplane on an ideal converyer.
What you imagine matches your assumptions. Since I view this as a stationkeeping scenario, my "Big Honking Treadmill" is just a bit longer and wider than the wheelbase. ;) Great input Missa! It is all in how we shape the "unshaped" aspects of the problem.

drhunt said:
OK, hang with me Chuck, I'm really trying to understand this and your input is great. Let's take an airboat in Florida. It floats but has propulsion from a prop just like our airplane example, hence we don't need to get hung up on motive force. Lets put the airboat in a fast flowing stream with the boat facing upstream. The moving stream is now like the treadmill. The airboat would initially move downstream at the same speed as the stream...let's say 10 kts. We start the engine, engage the prop and head upstream. Our groundspeed would gradually change from a negative value to zero if we applied just the right amount of power to stay in one place with respect to the shoreline, right. Now imagine we can increase the flow of the stream to 20 kts. We have to apply more power just to stay even...no breeze blowing in our face as we stay in one place. Now we boost the stream to 30, 40, 50 kts, etc. We have to add more and more power just to stay in one spot right? Still no breeze blowing in our face, thus no airspeed. OK I took the wheels off the problem so we don't have to worry about tires exploding, etc. I'll grant Jesse that the friction is not linear but we still have to add more and more power if we keep increasing the flow of the stream, albeit incrementally less. Help me understand why is the airplane problem any different?

There WOULD be breeze blowing in your face in your airboat at any speed actually just like by a fan...

All of the 'breeze' generated solely from the prop (sole source of airspeed over the wing) and if its thrust was high enough combined with the proper AoA, you would take off -whether on your airboat, desk fan, or airplane, regardless of surface underneath or the surface's speed.

drhunt said:
Again, picture this in reverse. Let me start the treadmill backward at 5 kts. You add power to maintain a stationary position. What is your speed? Are you moving? Have you not matched the "speed" of the belt, just the reverse of the problem? You are moving relative to the belt and have a "speed" associated with that movement. If you can always add power to remain stationary regardless of how fast I set the treadmill backwards, why can't I always set the treadmill to match your power?

If you set the airplane full throttle, The only way you would generate enough friction with speed to stop the airplane would be by wheel failure. Friction generates heat, the heat would cause the tire to fail.

If theonly way you can do it is by starting the airplane on fire, I'd say that's not a valid answer to the original question of would the airplane take off.

drhunt said:
If the treadmill is moving before the plane, and the wheels are stationary, assuming the rate of acceleration of the treadmill is gradual enough, the plane will move with the treadmill.

However, once you add power to the plane, and the wheels are turning, the force from the prop wash exceeds the force imparted to the wheels by an order of magnitude.

The backwards force of the treadmill in reverse, with freely turning wheels on the plane, can not match the forward force of the propeller.

The plane, in your example, will stop moving backwards, start moving forwards, accelerate (ignoring the treadmill acceleration) and take off.

drhunt said:

If you set the ideal coneyer to provide an equal FORCE in oppisition to the thrust provided by the propeller then you can keep the ideal airplane from flying, but this means you are controlling the conveyer based on the force or power the airplane is creating. (Just make sure you design your ideal airplane to have the CG of the airplane above the trust vector otherwise you will end up with two moments acting in the same direction and you will end up the with airplane on it's nose.)

However, this was not the questions asked. The question has the converyer controlled by speed, not force/power. The only way to have a speed without translational motion is angular speed, since I don't think anyone is visualizing the airplane turning nose over tail, the entire plane can not have an angular speed. Because the problem controls the conveyer speed based on the airplane (assumed translational) speed, it means the plane is moving forward developing the necessary airspeed to fly.

Missa

Last edited:
gibbons said:
Ah, read it again my beer swilling friend: "This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction)."
If the plane is making 30 kts forward speed, the conveyer goes 30 kts the other direction, which has almost no impact on the airplane.

Ok Chip, Lets get a six of Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier for me & a six of Coors lite for you.

Then we'll meet at MDW & try running backwards on the conveyer belts & see who get thrown out of ther place first.

Hell, I'll buy the beer... You name the time :)

Last edited:
Eamon said:
Ok Chip, Lets get a six of Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier for me & a six of Coors lite for you.

Then we'll meet at MDW & try running backwards on the conveyer belts & see who get thrown out of ther place first.

Hell, I'll buy the beer... You name the time :)
Make it Bud Light and you've got a deal!!!

Glad you're back.

drhunt said:
Amen Eamon! ;) Couldn't resist that. You still Caravanning around the country?

A-Firm-a-tive

10 - 50 min flights a week.

It is hard working 9 hrs a week, but someone has to do it -:yes: :yes: :goofy: :goofy:

Missa said:
...snip...
However, this was not the questions asked. The question has the converyer controlled by speed, not force/power. The only way to have a speed without translational motion is angular speed, since I don't think anyone is visualizing the airplane turning nose over tail, the entire plane can not have an angular speed. Because the problem controls the conveyer speed based on the airplane (assumed translational) speed, it means the plane is moving forward developing the necessary airspeed to fly.

Missa
I just take speed at face value...nothing fancy...change in distance/unit of time, dx/dt. If you travel down the runway at 30 kts you cover roughly 50ft/sec. If the conveyor moves you backward at 50ft/sec. you still have 30kts relative to the moving runway but 0kts relative to an outside observer. If those 50ft you traveled in any second are ALWAYS offset by moving the runway in the opposite direction at 50ft/sec...you don't move forward with respect to an outside observer. As long as your wheels are on the runway, it is the SAME 50 ft of runway. Your wheels have traveled 50ft down the runway, the runway is moved back 50ft. Whenever you say that you are moving forward with respect to a stationary observer, we just haven't moved the runway/treadmill backward fast enough, therefore the backward speed is NOT matching your speed. When it does, you have no forward motion/speed with respect to the stationary observer.

I don't think that the "free wheeling" idea works (not your comment Missa, just including it here). If the plane moves one foot forward, the wheels have traveled exactly one foot too. If the runway is moved back that SAME one foot, we have a stationary aircraft. The only time we can "free wheel" is when the plane lifts off, then you can spin the wheels all you want, otherwise they are connected to the runway by a ton of aircraft above them. The aircraft "speed" is measured by movement down that runway and as before, if we match the "speed", with a backward displacement it remains stationary.

I gave an earlier example of an airboat stationkeeping in a moving stream. If we can always advance the stream speed, the airboat goes nowhere. It seems that some don't buy the example because it is an airboat and not a plane, therefore somehow different. What if we take a floatplane (we know that they fly) and put it in the moving stream. If we set the speed stream to be 60 kts, the floatplane could stationkeep at that speed just like a fast airboat or speedboat but would have 0 airspeed and would hence remain on the water. If we can always match the speed, there is never any airspeed/lift/takeoff. Replace the floatplane with a powered parachute on floats so we don't have to go so fast. If the powered parachute could normally take off at a more realistic speed, say 20 kts and yet we put it in a stream flowing 20 kts, the chute would never fill because there's no forward motion/airspeed. Don't like the stream, put the powered parachute back on the moving runway...the cockpit could be going 20kts down our imaginary treadmill/runway but the chute would still not fill.

Let's now get Evel Knievel on a bike with a powered parachute engine and prop on a backpack (no chute necessary this time but you can picture it both ways). Now place Evel and his contraption inside a giant rat treadmill, a 100 ft high wheel with steel floor all the way around. Of course we can rotate the treadmill at any speed to match Evel's speed. Let Evel fire up the engine/prop on his backback to provide forward motion (purposely chose prop to avoid the whole motive force stuff). He moves a foot forward, we rotate the treadmill 1 foot. No matter how fast Evel goes, we rotate the treadmill at the same rate and Evel will stay perfectly centered on this thing. Why? Because regardless of speed, for every foot forward he and his wheels move, we rotate the treadmill a foot in the opposite direction. As long as we keep Evel centered, his airspeed is zero but even the Great Evel wouldn't want to jump off the bike while we have it spun up because he has considerable "ground speed" with respect to the inside of the giant rat treadmill (GRT), right. Of course, if he lept off and outside the GRT, he would land with ease, except that backpack/engine/prop thing would be awkward, right? Now, I've kept the prop, the wheels and the treadmill in the picture in an attempt to sway the formidable challengers from the "other side". I hope this helps you understand why I feel that all forward motion of the aircraft could be off set by backward motion of the treadmill, just like Evel in the GRT. Flame on ;)

Final wild example...take a parasail behind a boat. Send the boat into a stream going 40kts and assume the boat is going 40kts, and thus now stationkeeping in the stream. What happens to the person in the parasail 500ft up in the air behind the boat? Splashdown!! Just like this thread, huh ;)

Sorry to pile all this on your post Missa, just happened to go through my mind once I got started. I know,...bizzare mind, but hey, it is winter in Montana...no flying for the past month. This is a good indoor activity while I'm not on the slopes. Thanks to you and everyone else for all the inspiring, challenging discussion. Ciao!

Missa said:
... worded to lead people to assume things that are not stated and therefore spur the debate.
So you also agree that it was poorly worded.;)

Anyone have anything new to say about this? :D

bill, STOP Jesse is just trying to get this dead tired old thread restarted. dont enable him! :)

wsuffa said:
What about the effects of headwind?

Well, in THAT case:

• The plane would have to go faster to overcome the headwind.
  • The conveyer belt would have to go faster to overcome the headwind.
  • The plane would need JATO assist.
  • The plane would take off, but it would have to schedule the take off to be before it left.

jangell said:
Anyone have anything new to say about this? :D

Yes. You had to actually SEARCH for this thread to revive it, didn't you?

EEEVIL, EEEVIL, Jesse! :no:

mikea said:
Yes. You had to actually SEARCH for this thread to revive it, didn't you?

EEEVIL, EEEVIL, Jesse! :no:

...Mayybee :)

That's it. As of tomorrow, I'm building a conveyor belt next to 9/27 at KGRD. Anyone want to bring their plane for a little experiment? We'll video tape and make it a sticky on every aviation forum on the web.

wbarnhill said:
That's it. As of tomorrow, I'm building a conveyor belt next to 9/27 at KGRD.

Count me in. :goofy: Need help? No plane but I'm very handy with tools and completely willing to be the test pilot.

mikea said:
Well, in THAT case:
  • The plane would take off, but it would have to schedule the take off to be before it left.

And if it didn't file a flight plan, it would crash. Oh, and the engine would be sputtering and the nose pointed downwards. :rolleyes:

I wonder if I'll get flamed for posting a reply here.... oh well.

I wonder why someone didn't break down the forces to show the people who think the plane wouldn't fly that they are wrong.

1) I suggest we put a fighter jet with 10 tons of thrust.

2) we must take the fact that the treadmill matches the speed of the aircraft relative to the ground that the treadmill is on, because of the whole loop effect we'd get if the treadmill matches the speed of the plane on the treadmill itself. (theoredically if all parts were indestructable the outcome would be the same but the speed of the wheels would be infinatly accelerating)

3) For easier understanding let's give to scenarios: One, the plane hits full throttle and as soon as it hits 1mph the treadmill starts and goes -1mph. (in this case the plane moved a few inches before the treadmill caught on)The 10 tons of thrust move the plane until takeoff with the wheels spinning twice as fast as if it were on solid ground. Like it's been said a million times a force acting on an object with free spinning wheels will move the object no matter what, friction is so minute. The plane will move forward relative to the ground AND the air, which gives it lift.

Do we all get it now? I won't sleep until everyone does :)

wbarnhill said:
That's it. As of tomorrow, I'm building a conveyor belt next to 9/27 at KGRD. Anyone want to bring their plane for a little experiment? We'll video tape and make it a sticky on every aviation forum on the web.
I'll bring the airplane you bring the cash....a lot of it. Let's have a bet.;)

Tomahawk674 said:
I wonder why someone didn't break down the forces to show the people who think the plane wouldn't fly that they are wrong.

Oh we did. Some people though refused to listen, refused to read what was written, and refused to try to even understand it.

mikea said:
Well, in THAT case:
  • The plane would have to go faster to overcome the headwind.
  • The conveyer belt would have to go faster to overcome the headwind.
  • The plane would need JATO assist.
mike I HAVE to believe you're kidding, but I still can't ignore this...

The plane wouldn't have to go faster to overcome the headwind. The headwind would mean the plane has to go less quickly relative to the ground to achieve lift off airspeed, so the conveyer belt would also go less quickly in the opposite direction.

So the obvious solution to the WHOLE dilemma is to mount a wind tunnel around the runway (with an open roof of course) able to create enough wind to lift the airplane off the runway without it having to move.

But the windshear would be a killer... ;)

Greebo said:
mike I HAVE to believe you're kidding, but I still can't ignore this...

The plane wouldn't have to go faster to overcome the headwind. The headwind would mean the plane has to go less quickly relative to the ground to achieve lift off airspeed, so the conveyer belt would also go less quickly in the opposite direction.

Yeah. I tried to think up all of the lame-brained misundertstandings I could reel off before I went to bed.

BTW, the conveyor belt could go Mach 5 in the opposite direction and even with the plane's engine off the plane still wouldn't move relative to a fixed point after the initial inertia and the friction of the wheels is overcome. Think of the plane as being on roller skates while tied off to a fix anchor ahead of the belt. Add takeoff thrust and it files.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060203.html
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060303.html

I will comment no further.

Last edited:
Richard said:
I'll bring the airplane you bring the cash....a lot of it. Let's have a bet.;)

I'm telling you, there's a multi billion $$$$$$ gov't research grant in this somewhere. We just need someone who can hobknob properly.

The hardware isn't difficult to build at all. Most of it is off the shelf components. I'm thinking we can retire comfortably with the leftover cash within 6-8 months.

I will drop a cello off a ten-story building and it will never hit the ground. Why? There is a mathematical reason, but I hope you have a lot of money or insurance (if they pay for stupidity).

wangmyers said:
I will drop a cello off a ten-story building and it will never hit the ground. Why?

Because you are using the wrong equation - i.e. the classic halfway there but never arrives divide by two game. The actual equation and it's related gravitational oscillation point is centered roughly at the center of the Earth, not at an arbitrary point several thousand miles above that. Kabong! Splinters everywhere.

jangell said:
Oh we did. Some people though refused to listen, refused to read what was written, and refused to try to even understand it.

Show them that video of the model airplane flying inside the room where it is motionless in the air. You obviously have enough time to dig the link up!

Back