The good old days - humor

jangell said:
..How many family's out there still sit down and have dinner together daily? I'm curious.
We do every night. Family of 5. If there's baseball or gymnastics or cub scouts or cinematography club or swimming practice, we just have dinner late. If my wife works late, which happens occasionally given her place on the corporate food chain, we wait to eat until she gets home. Thanks to the miracle of cell phones, I can be setting food on the table as she walks through the front door.

OK, what's the cheapest gas you remember?

I remember 19.9 cents full serve with a drinking glass if you bought more than 8 gallons. AND they checked your oil and, on request, tire pressure.

jangell said:
..How many family's out there still sit down and have dinner together daily? I'm curious.

Every night. We both work, so sometimes it's not haut cuisine, but one of us cooks, we all eat together, and the other does the dishes. Wouldn't hav eit any other way.

Ken Ibold said:

I remember 19.9 cents full serve with a drinking glass if you bought more than 8 gallons. AND they checked your oil and, on request, tire pressure.

That is about the cheapest I remember as well. I do recall vividly when gas went to $.30/gal. My father had a stroke about that increase, plenty of I remember when bread was $.03 and a movie and popcorn was $.40 speeches.

wesleyj said:
Try some of these,
Saturday morning serials, chapters one through 15.
Fly paper
Penny loafers,
Lucky strike Green
Flat Tops
Sock Hops
Studebakers
Pepsi please
Goin Steady
White Bucks
Blue Suede shoes
knock knock jokes
Tom Mix
Randolf Scott
Howdy Doody
Buffalo Bob
Princess summer fall winter spring

Just some thoughts
Oh yeah! with appropriate credit to D. Reid, H. Reid, L. Lee and The Statler Brothers, from "Do You Remember These"
http://www.mamarocks.com/do_you_remember.htm

wesleyj said:
Try some of these,

Lucky Stike Green

Just some thoughts

I found a pack in C-Rations that I opened in 1960. Meant that the C-Rations had to have been about 20yrs. old.

Graueradler said:
I found a pack in C-Rations that I opened in 1960. Meant that the C-Rations had to have been about 20yrs. old.
I saved a pack of C-rats that I got in the early 1980s just as MREs were starting to be used. My C-rats were stamped 1961 which was the year I was born. I still have a p3 on my key chain too. That really dates you as hardly anyone remembers those.

smigaldi said:
vealgy.jpg

I remember that. We used to take a summer car trip to visit family in Crystal City, MO, and I always knew we were close when we saw the dinosaur gas station!

michael Killacky said:
It's not too late, they're still making blackjack gum. It comes out once a year with a few other oldies, Clove is the only i remember off hand but rest assured Blackjack is out there now.

I think they do that with Beamans also. I remember too many of these, but because I spent a lot of time with my grandparents growing up. They had an old victorian summer house at the shore that was like going back in time. Everything was old there and stayed that way.

Anthony said:
I think they do that with Beamans also. I remember too many of these, but because I spent a lot of time with my grandparents growing up. They had an old victorian summer house at the shore that was like going back in time. Everything was old there and stayed that way.

Google old time candy there are quit a few sites that you can order from and many do have Beemans gum

Ken Ibold said:

My very first real job as a sophmore in high school was at a "Full Service" ESSO gas station that my dad managed. Are there any full service stations left, or have they all gone the way of the donosaur?

Frank Browne said:
My very first real job as a sophmore in high school was at a "Full Service" ESSO gas station that my dad managed. Are there any full service stations left, or have they all gone the way of the donosaur?

I still see them every once and while. What is really rare is finding a gas station taht also has a service station for repairs and such. All you can find are mini-marts. The gas/sevice stations are gone, a few guys just stopped selling gas and will do service.

Scott, your Easter bunnycat avatar looks just thrilled to death to be in costume. Those looks say "just you wait until I get out of this stupid looking costume and your back is turned. I'm gonna make you wish you had never seen bunny ears!"

gkainz said:
Scott, your Easter bunnycat avatar looks just thrilled to death to be in costume. Those looks say "just you wait until I get out of this stupid looking costume and your back is turned. I'm gonna make you wish you had never seen bunny ears!"

Catitude!!! Gotta love it

smigaldi said:
I still see them every once and while. What is really rare is finding a gas station taht also has a service station for repairs and such. All you can find are mini-marts. The gas/sevice stations are gone, a few guys just stopped selling gas and will do service.

What's ironic for me, is that the service station that my dad managed and that I worked at, is now an independant without the "service", and where my soon-to-be xwife was assaulted and robbed a couple of years ago. :(

gkainz said:

"He looks like a duranged Easter Bunny, a pink nightmare."

Darrin McGavin in "Christmas Story"

Ken Ibold said:

I distinctly remember 47 and 49 cents. I recall seeing 41 consistently and vague recollections of 38. You didn't go to gas stations. You went to service stations and they serviced you. You never got out of the car. Someone always came out and fueled for you and did the service stuff. You always got some trinket in the process.

The real kicker: My dad learned to fly in a Cub at a horrific THREE DOLLARS AN HOUR wet. The brand spanking new the paint is still wet Tripacer was $8 though the typical one was $5-6/hr. I can't even flip the master switch on then right back off for that nowadays. Click-click is $15 nowadays. :( (where's the smilie for balling your head off?)

P.S. There was always the free gas from the 500 gallon tank on the farm. I guess someone had to pay for it somewhere along the line. Of course if it's not farm equipment or the car isn't completely out of gas (as in won't start at all much less make it the 15 miles into town) you're likely to find yourself getting fed through the bailer for using it.

Last edited:
Ken Ibold said:

I have to admit that I don't recall gas prices when I was a kid. My family had a construction business and the equipment yard had gas and diesel pumps. We had bulk fuel delivery and access was one of the perks.

I realized how fortunate and spoiled I was the first time I had a flat tire after moving away from home. I honestly didn't quite know what to do - no shop, no hoist, no floor jack, no air compressor or air tools, no tire machine - what the heck do I do now? Oh yeah, find a gas station and pay someone else to take twice as long to do something that I would rather do myself.

You haven't lived until you've remounted a truck tire on a split rim and watched the ring blow through the roof of the shop... made darn sure those tires were secured under the hoist, front end loader bucket or something else big and strong after that!

smigaldi said:

We have two in our neighborhood. Both run by immigrants. And both pretty well used and respected in the 'hood. I have them do some service work for me 'cause they're less than 2 blocks from the house and I like to support neighborhood businesses.

wsuffa said:
We have two in our neighborhood. Both run by immigrants. And both pretty well used and respected in the 'hood. I have them do some service work for me 'cause they're less than 2 blocks from the house and I like to support neighborhood businesses.
What gas brand are they under? The BPs, Amoco's etc. around here have no service stations and the indendants service stations cannot afford to buy gas for their pump and compete with the name brands on price. You are pretty lucky to have two.

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
Anybody know why they decided to change the name from Esso?

IIRC, Enco was the name they changed to prior to going to Exxon. I think it meant ENergy COmpany, or something like that. Couldn't tell you why though.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Anybody know why they decided to change the name from Esso?
Just found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Mobil#Name

Humble officials realized by the late 1960s that the time had come to swallow its pride by developing a new brand name that could be used nationwide throughout the U.S. At first, consideration was given to simply rebranding all stations as "Enco" but that was shelved when it was learned that "Enco" is a Japanese abbreviation of "engine failure."

Frank Browne said:
Just found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Mobil#Name

Humble officials realized by the late 1960s that the time had come to swallow its pride by developing a new brand name that could be used nationwide throughout the U.S. At first, consideration was given to simply rebranding all stations as "Enco" but that was shelved when it was learned that "Enco" is a Japanese abbreviation of "engine failure."

As I remember:
It seems the XX is rather rare in all the world's languages so it was used to create a word beginning in E and also nonoffensive to the widest number of languages and cultures worldwide. Still, it does mean fox **** in Tibet, but they figured they'd be able to live with that marketing impact.

All the other, rejected combinations were much more far reaching in their negative or undesirable meanings.

Frank Browne said:
...shelved when it was learned that "Enco" is a Japanese abbreviation of "engine failure."

Sounds like Chevy's Nova ... "hmmm, why are sales so low in Mexico?"

smigaldi said:
What gas brand are they under? The BPs, Amoco's etc. around here have no service stations and the indendants service stations cannot afford to buy gas for their pump and compete with the name brands on price. You are pretty lucky to have two.

One is Chevron, the other Phillips 66. I know of a Texaco in the DC suburbs.

wsuffa said:
One is Chevron, the other Phillips 66. I know of a Texaco in the DC suburbs.
None of those around here, they are all forcing the service concept to go out the window. I had a friend who owned three gas stations and finally had it with the oil compnaies and their mandates.

Last edited:
Skip Miller said:
17.9 cents in a "gas war".

My dad use to reminisce about low prices of the past. This was a nickel, that was a nickel, etc. I'd ask him if prices were rolled back to the past, would he accept his salary being rolled back also. We quickly forget how little people earned "back then". When I was a kid making $10K a year was considered a lot.

Anthony said:
My dad use to reminisce about low prices of the past. This was a nickel, that was a nickel, etc. I'd ask him if prices were rolled back to the past, would he accept his salary being rolled back also. We quickly forget how little people earned "back then". When I was a kid making $10K a year was considered a lot.
My dad's salary his first year's salary when he graduated from college was a whopping $3000/year. That was the year I was born and I got 17 out of 25. Definately an old guy now.

Did anyone else swipe ice from the iceman? We also had a guy in a model A truck that sold fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer. Ah yes the Saturday matinee, Mom would give us 15 cents, 10 for the show and 5 for candy. Went to see my hero Hopalong Casidy at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Years later his wife was a regular customer a the service station I worked at. Did anyone ever bring their teacher home for lunch? We lived a long block from school so I got to come home for lunch. Mom would make me bring my teacher home for lunch at least once a month. Didn't help my grades one bit. Does anyone remember the old steel casement windows? Your Dad had to put up the storm windows in the fall then take them down then put up the screens in the spring. Some how my Dad was always just a little bit late. The lowest I remember gas prices was 25 cents for 104 octane Shell Premium. I think Chevron Custom Supreme was like 35 cets for 110 octane. Sometimes I miss the "old" days but maybe that's because I was a kid and didn't really have any worries.
Ron

L10MAN said:
Did anyone else swipe ice from the iceman? We also had a guy in a model A truck that sold fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer. Ah yes the Saturday matinee, Mom would give us 15 cents, 10 for the show and 5 for candy. Went to see my hero Hopalong Casidy at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Y

I have heard those same stories from my dad. He was born in 1921, passed away 19 years ago this May

Hey Scott, I'm not that old. I do get the senior citizen discount at Taco Death and I get my first SS check this fall. But I ain't that old.:D
Ron

I was raised on a dairy farm in upsate NY, 150 miles from the GW bridge. We didn't have electricty until 1954, we lived under lamp light. Our dog churned our butter, we did the farm work with horses. and milked our cows with a brigs and straton 5 horse power engine on a vac pump.

Mom heated her "Flat" on the kitchen stove, mixed her cakes in a bowl with a wooden spoon, collected the eggs in the chicken house, we heated the 14 room house with wood, both by the home comfort range in the kitchen and a pot bellied stove in the pilor.

I had a nickle a week allowance, which I always spent by placing it in the slot in the ice chest at the general store, that had a glass bottle with the orange crush in it, which I had to slide along the slot in which it hung, until it was relieced by a gate which was freed by the nickle.

I learned to drive by driving an army surplus jeep raking hay. I learned to fly in a army surplus J-3, and my first car was a 1930 Model "A" Ford coupe. I traded my 4H heffer for.

During grade school I walked down to the river road (2.5 miles)and went to school in a 1 room rural school with 1 teacher and 14 farm kids. And I still know them and see them every time I'm home.

Our entertainment was the big wooden cabinet radio, that had antenna on the roof, and a speaker the size of a wash tub. and a battery that was a glass box with the lead plates which was charged by a wind generator on the roof, we huddled around it listening to WDLA during the day, WGY at night. My daughter has the old radio still and it works.

Barb's and my favorite mag is now the "Country" which is all about farm folks. and great pictures of OUR country.

Ah, the good old days, lots of hard work by hand, and yes I do know what a sythe is and how to use it, my job each summer until I left home was to cut brush along the rock walls on all the hay fields, and that was where the rattlesnakes liked to sun themselves, and I was bitten 3 times in 2 summers.

L10MAN said:
Hey Scott, I'm not that old. I do get the senior citizen discount at Taco Death and I get my first SS check this fall. But I ain't that old.:D
Ron
Dad was older for sure. He was 40 when I was born. It was pretty neat in some repsects having a parent of that era. I heard about not only the depression but prohibition, gansters, etc. Also when we watched the little rascals dad would tell me what it was really like then because that was his time for growing up.

Last edited:
Well, I'm certified older than dirt. I know what Packards and PF Flyers are, although I'm pretty sure they pre-dated me.

The lowest gas price I remember is $0.109--yup, eleven cents. That was the "gas wars" in central California. We sometimes planned trips around them. Not too terribly long before I was born (5-6 years) my dad learned to fly. The rental for the airplane was $2.50 wet per hour. Sigh.

OTOH, Sinclair gas is still around out here in the Rocky Mountain West, and you can still get the dinosaurs, although they're getting rare.

Judy

jangell said:

We do...if I'm on the road for work Karen and the kids still do...that's when they get to eat Mac n' Cheese...which they love but I can't eatl 'cause of the way elbow noodles were served at our sit down family meals when I was a kid (not unique to me, my brother's can't eat elbow noodles either).

Len

Frank Browne said:

Thats cool you worked for your dad Frank. Wish my dad would let me work for him. He tells me I am not the sheet metal type. GGGRRRR!!!!!

When I go to NY I always get full service. There is one off Ridge Street in Rye Brook. As far as I know there are NO full service gas stations near me in NC. Guess I have to get out and pump it my self eh?

Len Lanetti said:
which they love but I can't eatl 'cause of the way elbow noodles were served at our sit down family meals when I was a kid (not unique to me, my brother's can't eat elbow noodles either).

Can't eat elbow noodles due to the way they were served? :dunno: Yikes.

And, of course, the Mac & Cheese that comes out of the box when I make it doesn't have elbow noodles. :no: ;)

I have trouble with stewed tomatoes due to a timing problem involving seeing a dog in open heart surgery when I was in Cub Scouts. :vomit:

Back