The FORD F'n TRIMOTOR

gcd89

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg D.
EAA is bringing their fully restored Ford Trimotor to KSKY, Sandusky, Ohio. Me and my wife are on vacation visiting her family here in this beautiful city and my Father-in-law knows I love aviation and decided to buy us (me and the wife) a ride on it! I am so grateful he would pay for this amazing once in a lifetime ride on the legendary Tin Goose.

I am super excited and will post pics as soon as I can.

If memory serves me correctly, I think you can pay a few extra bucks to get to fly right seat, bring your logbook and have it signed off as dual. At least that is the way it used to work. It's certainly better than being a passenger.

Hey Greg. It is fun. It was in West Memphis last year. What a nostalgic adventure. Buy the T-shirt. They did a really good job on it.

If memory serves me correctly, I think you can pay a few extra bucks to get to fly right seat, bring your logbook and have it signed off as dual. At least that is the way it used to work. It's certainly better than being a passenger.

It's $100 to get right seat :mad: I don't have that kind of $$$$

It's $60 just for a plain ride.

It's $100 to get right seat :mad: I don't have that kind of $$$$

It's $60 just for a plain ride.
You don't have $40? For right seat on a flight...in a historic aircraft...which you yourself said is once in a life time? Since when do pilots have to justify aviation expenditures?

BTW: A 152 could fly circles around the Tri- while at cruise speed. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Last edited:
You don't have $40? For right seat on a flight...in a historic aircraft...which you yourself said is once in a life time? Since when do pilots have to justify aviation expenditures?

BTW: A 152 could fly circles around the Tri- while at cruise speed. Funniest thing I ever saw.

No kidding - 100 bucks to sit in the right seat of a Tri-Motor is a BARGAIN.

If they are selling the right seat, I guess the aircraft is single pilot qual'd. So if the left seat holds a CFI you could actually receive dual instruction. Even though the SIC time would be commercially worthless, it would be pretty nifty to have logged the time.

How this works for a charity flight I'll leave to the legal eagles. Maybe the "SIC time" could be limited to ground ops. :dunno:

No kidding - 100 bucks to sit in the right seat of a Tri-Motor is a BARGAIN.
Especially because you may get to fly it!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlDMThkAoYI

It is in fact single-pilot certed, so it's all nice and legal. I was asked if I was a pilot, but didn't have to present my ticket. Not much of a lesson; only flew it a bit in cruise, a few gentle turns, but it was awesome.

Loggable or no, it is worth an extra 40 bucks. Go sell some blood or something; get that money somehow.

Last edited:

It is in fact single-pilot certed, so it's all nice and legal. I was asked if I was a pilot, but didn't have to present my ticket. Not much of a lesson; only flew it a bit in cruise, a few gentle turns, but it was awesome.

Loggable or no, it is worth an extra 40 bucks. Go sell some blood or something; get that money somehow.

See, now that's a video that has the right kind of accompanying music.

John

Does anyone know if they offer right seat time when they are at osh? I flew in it with my son 6 or 7 years ago but don't remember if they had anyone beside the regular pilots up front but then I never thought to ask.

My legal question was specific to providing dual instruction whilst engaged in charitable activities under the auspices of the non-profit org which provided the aircraft and pilot. That wouldn't stop me from trying to hook some seat time.

They would literally have to say, Nope, no can do. Even then when airborne, a wink and a nod from me to see if the pilot responds in the only correct manner. Maybe throw $1 bills at him or something. heh heh

Does anyone know if they offer right seat time when they are at osh? I flew in it with my son 6 or 7 years ago but don't remember if they had anyone beside the regular pilots up front but then I never thought to ask.

I was told that during Airventure, they only allow "special observers" (or some such term) to take the right seat.
Not sure what that means exactly, but no, just having the money will not get you in there during the big show.

They were at our home airport last year. We went up, but didn't spring for right seat. I'm hopng yell be back next year, and log some time.

I sprung for the right seat ride a couple of years ago. I have about 15 minutes of dual in a Trimotor in my logbook. The thing flies like a truck, but it's a neat experience.

I was flying from NE Indiana to Indy one afternoon and the Grissom controller ask a pilot what he was flying. The guy said it was a Ford Tri-Motor. It was a slow day and he was telling some history of his plane. Don't quote me but I believe he said there were only 5 or 6 of these still operational. It was a very interesting listen. Gotta love those slow days. You get to hear stuff like this.

It was great. I loved every minute..

I didn't have $40 to spare and the right seat was already reserfed to someone else anyway...maybe next time.

147_4751.jpg

147_4754.jpg

147_4758.jpg

147_4760.jpg

147_4769.jpg

147_4773.jpg

147_4774.jpg

147_4779.jpg

The picture is me flying the trimotor in from Muncie. Quite a handful, and an unforgettable experience.

I hope I didn't break the internet posting a picture of myself.

Attachments

• TRIMOTOR_ME.jpg
    TRIMOTOR_ME.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 43
I sprung for the right seat ride a couple of years ago. I have about 15 minutes of dual in a Trimotor in my logbook. The thing flies like a truck, but it's a neat experience.
Me too. The only MEL time in my log book - 0.3 MEL fully signed off by a CFI. Probably useless but I don't care. It's in my book as a permanent record that I flew the Tri-motor! Something I'd never have dreamed of just a few short years ago. Yes, I still get a big grin on my face when I think about it. And I agree that it does fly like a truck but the climb rate was amazing even with the nose quite low!

FWIW, I did have to ask him to sign my log book but there was no hesitation.

Cheaper than a new Garmin and CDIs to match it. ;)

Gonna pass on that logbook entry maself and go for the Garmin and JPI. No one in my inner circle would even know or care why that rating might be waaay cool.

I'd be more personally satisfied with an IR and maybe some aerobatic time. :wink2:

I'd be more personally satisfied with an IR and maybe some aerobatic time.

Go for the aerobatic time -- it is way more fun!

I've got some pics now....

Attachments

• Sandusky 048.jpg
    Sandusky 048.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Sandusky 051.jpg
    Sandusky 051.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Sandusky 058.jpg
    Sandusky 058.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 9
And one more

Attachments

• Sandusky 059.jpg
    Sandusky 059.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 7
I flew right seat a few years back when the Tri-motor was in Harrisburg, PA. I recall a ride in the back was $40 at that time and the right seat was $100. Wonderful experience!

Me and my 2 boys took on ride on the Tri-Motor at last years Oshkosh. What a great experience. It was the first time my oldest was ever in a "non-airliner". He loved it.

I highly suggest everyone to try it at least once.

Me and my 2 boys took on ride on the Tri-Motor at last years Oshkosh. What a great experience. It was the first time my oldest was ever in a "non-airliner". He loved it.

I highly suggest everyone to try it at least once.
But it is an airliner! First all-metal airliner, in fact. ;)

But it is an airliner! First all-metal airliner, in fact. ;)

I knew I would get this response that's why I put it in quotes.;) Maybe I should have said a non-modern airliner. Any this was the smallest plane he was ever in and he loved it.

Back