The fear is driving me…

I think it comes down to desensitizing yourself. Go back up with our instructor and just fly. This fear might also be fear of loss of control. Spending time flying around with you controlling the plane might help. Also - you may not be aware of feeling air sick, but you might have some that is triggering your turblence concern. Buy a Relief Band (and spare batteries) and fire that up before you fly next. I bet that would help.

When I first started, I would get motion sickness / turn green. After using this and flying for a bit, it went away. I still have it for passengers who need it.

ReliefBand with Replaceable Battery for Motion Sickness Protection - MyPilotStore.com

upload_2022-4-14_16-45-30.png

When I first started, I would get motion sickness / turn green. After using this and flying for a bit, it went away. I still have it for passengers who need it.

View attachment 106096

That actually works, then? I always assumed it was snake oil. Is it an electrical thing, or pressure points, or something else?

That actually works, then? I always assumed it was snake oil. Is it an electrical thing, or pressure points, or something else?
Yes, it worked well. I read up on how motion sickness works, how the relief band interrupts the signal, etc. Net net, it was significant to achieve my PPL.

Another idea. What head set do you have? My discomfort flying diminished even more when I got an ANR (lightspeed).

I think it comes down to desensitizing yourself. Go back up with our instructor and just fly. This fear might also be fear of loss of control. Spending time flying around with you controlling the plane might help. Also - you may not be aware of feeling air sick, but you might have some that is triggering your turblence concern. Buy a Relief Band (and spare batteries) and fire that up before you fly next. I bet that would help.

ReliefBand with Replaceable Battery for Motion Sickness Protection - MyPilotStore.com

View attachment 106096
I think the loss of control thing is real for me.
Air sickness, even though I don’t think I have it , could be a subconscious thing. Can’t hurt to try the band.
Thanks for the tip.

Another idea. What head set do you have? My discomfort flying diminished even more when I got an ANR (lightspeed).
I have David Clarks. Never gave any thought to headset connecting to my issue.

I would second this. My comfort level is directly related to having a good ANR headset (in my case Bose).

Had David Clark basic model H 10 something. When I switched to the lightspeeds it was night and day. I never should have had the DC’s - the ability to learn, concentrate, motion sickness - all so much better. Others love the DCs - they just were bad for me.

Had David Clark basic model H 10 something. When I switched to the lightspeeds it was night and day. I never should have had the DC’s - the ability to learn, concentrate, motion sickness - all so much better. Others love the DCs - they just were bad for me.
Wow, maybe I’ll pick up an ANR, leaning towards a Zulu 3.

Wow, maybe I’ll pick up an ANR, leaning towards a Zulu 3.
I bought a $120 basic ASA, non ANR set and have been happy enough with it. I could understand how some people would need a lighter set of headphones. I'm a big guy so I can handle the weight of a standard set. I purposefully didn't want an ANR set because I'm wanting to hear all the noises while I'm training.

I need to lose a little weight for comfort. I also am always aware of the cockpit temp. I need it to be cooler rather than warmer and well-ventilated. I started my training back in the Winter to get some cooler days with clear skies. Muggy Summer days with sluggish takeoffs, thick air, and sweating until you get above 4000 feet are ahead.....makes me wanna hurl just thinking about it. I'm not looking forward to them. (but really I am)

Just to be clear - you still hear things, actually better. It’s just not as loud

Just to be clear - you still hear things, actually better. It’s just not as loud
I've owned and used ANR sets before. I just wanted a Bose, but was going to wait before investing in one. The Lightspeed reviews I saw seem good, but some people aren't happy with the fit/quality still. I figured I'd get my cheap set with a lifetime warranty and will likely get a Bose with Bluetooth in a year or so after I figure out what I'll be flying.

I've owned and used ANR sets before. I just wanted a Bose, but was going to wait before investing in one. The Lightspeed reviews I saw seem good, but some people aren't happy with the fit/quality still. I figured I'd get my cheap set with a lifetime warranty and will likely get a Bose with Bluetooth in a year or so after I figure out what I'll be flying.

I just picked up a pair of Zulus, will give them a try tomorrow.

Thanks for the note.
In regards to NLP, I have thought of seeking some kind of “treatment” but never enough to look into any. This is something I will look into.
I agree, for me the unknown is also lessened by me learning and obsessing to learn. That helps me.

I have used NLP often during my training. I took Practitioner and Master Practitioner many years ago. and the section of NLP that usefull in flight training is state management(emotional state management to you). more specifically how to shift from fear to confidence so that when you are in the cockpit, you are in the state you WANT to be. its a physiological practice initially rehearsed at home if you have taken training or in the office of an NLP Coach if you choose one of one coaching. they can help you determine the visual or auditory triggers for which you need the changework. flying in turbulence is partly about the context: does it occur when you are in the cockpit flying or when you are a passenger on a commercial flight.for me, in a commercial flight, turbulence really doesn't bother me. in a single engine plane, it depends on the wind speed and gusts. for me flying in 8G15 is doable but 18G25 is out of my comfort range presently. people trained in NLP will be easier to locate if you live in a larger city, in a smaller town, it will be difficult

Roger - How did the new Zulus work? Did they make a difference?

Ha ha, guess what? Yesterday I ended up doing ground due to weather. Couldn't see a thing!
Im on vacation next week so Ill test them out when I get back and report.

Hey there, I finally got up there this morning.
The Zulu's were awesome. Coincidence that today was my best overall flight.

But the ANR did make a difference to the point I forgot I had them on. A bit on the heavier side compared to my David Clarks but very comfortable (I wear a cap with my headset).
I didn't use the bluetooth with the phone, obviously but overall I felt a difference in headset.

After my first lesson , my CFI borrowed a Bose set for me to try . I'm hearing impaired and the communications are a problem . Wow what a difference , Ordered a set that same day. Helps with clarity hearing tower radio and intercom.
Haven't tried any other brands other then the non ANR head set that was in the training aircraft . CFI has DC headset and likes it. He just sent it in a few months ago to be refurbished . His is not ANR.
One thing he does do is remove the little metal beanie off the top of his flying caps . Says it really hurts when the head set presses on the beanie when head hitting ceiling in rough weather .

"Fly the turbulence". That's what my CFI told me on the briefing after my discovery flight. We got some big ones, but the guy didn't even paid attention to it, he was busy flying the plane and talking to ATC. He also told me something like "You can't control the turbulence, but you can control the plane, and the plane will get you out of there".
My take from it is that your mind should be busy flying the plane, so try to focus on that. I know it sounds easier than what it is. Don't try to hide your fear, just put it in the back seat while you control the plane in a turbulence.

Last flight with CFI for my 90 day extention was all on staying ahead of the aircraft , anticipating corrections , not playing catch up with aircraft . Good rudder control at the moment needed ,not after. Rudder Rudder Rudder .Keep those feet at attention . He is an old spray plane pilot with 6000 hours in his log spraying , 25000 plus hours in everything from Cub to Citation 680 .

I watched the video of my wife skydiving. That's as close as I ever plan to get.

As I understand it concerning skydiving ... if at first you don't succeed, it ain't for you.
Sky diving is a lot like Folgers Coffee: Good until the last drop. ;)

My problem is hard unexpected jolts and the up, mainly down, feeling I get. And I fear, dislike and worry about it.
Much like when I’m a passenger in a car going up and down a hill, when I am behind the wheel the anxiety is dramatically reduced. Perhaps the in control factor and knowledge of what’s ahead is the difference. The difference I am hoping will help me behind the yoke.
I do plan my lessons early am, which helps at least in the beginning while I develop that confidence. If windy enough, I can a,wys chose to skip a flight. I am not in a rush.

I wonder if it is like I experience turbulence. We are creatures of the ground by nature, and on the ground of you drive a car fast and get “airborne” you still inherently know where the ground is (and brace automatically for a jolt when you get back to 0 AGL) but in an airplane you go up, then down below where “the ground should be” and that feels unnatural. Add to that the student pilots fear of losing control, over correcting and it feels like everything is wrong, that you lost control of every little bit of altitude. I don’t have an answer, but feel like it takes acclimation, getting used to it, and experience so you know it isn’t a crisis. It has been hard wired in that when the ground is suddenly not where you expect, a little panic ensues. It’s “unnatural”.

I wonder if it is like I experience turbulence. We are creatures of the ground by nature, and on the ground of you drive a car fast and get “airborne” you still inherently know where the ground is (and brace automatically for a jolt when you get back to 0 AGL) but in an airplane you go up, then down below where “the ground should be” and that feels unnatural. Add to that the student pilots fear of losing control, over correcting and it feels like everything is wrong, that you lost control of every little bit of altitude. I don’t have an answer, but feel like it takes acclimation, getting used to it, and experience so you know it isn’t a crisis. It has been hard wired in that when the ground is suddenly not where you expect, a little panic ensues. It’s “unnatural”.

This is an interesting angle.

I haven't stopped here for updates as I am busy flying and learning.

But I do want to share an update on the second post of this topic I had.

Just following up on this again..... I have not gone back to the DoCs. The Zulu's are awesome and I haven't even thought about the Bose, or buying one for that matter. This does it for me and is super comfortable (I wear it over a hat).

Back