The FBO Doesn’t Like You - What do you do?

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
I’m not the type of person who likes to start things or hold a grudge. I’ve found that, rightly so, everyone is respectful to each other and there is professional courtesy observed. I like it. I’ve only really had one FBO / Flight school get bitter at me for electing to continue my training elsewhere as a result of a way they handled my training. They got salty and the chief flight instructor removed me from their schedualing system! I’ve even contacted them half a year later to try to soften relations and rent from them again like I used to prior to my training toward a rating with them. They belittled me and brushed me off in a way that left me with a sad and unsettling feeling. It’s really unfortunate.

Do any of you have any stories to share? Any happy endings?

I’m not the type of person who likes to start things or hold a grudge. I’ve found that, rightly so, everyone is respectful to each other and there is professional courtesy observed. I like it. I’ve only really had one FBO / Flight school get bitter at me for electing to continue my training elsewhere as a result of a way they handled my training. They got salty and the chief flight instructor removed me from their schedualing system! I’ve even contacted them half a year later to try to soften relations and rent from them again like I used to prior to my training toward a rating with them. They belittled me and brushed me off in a way that left me with a sad and unsettling feeling. It’s really unfortunate.

We have a flight school similar to that at my home field. The owner has driven so many people off that the Airport Authority is just hoping that someone can put together a viable bid when his lease is up soon.

They exist off of the part 141 VA benefits, but treat their students like crap, so as soon as they get their ratings, they go next door to the non-141 school to actually FLY.

Don’t know the whole story, but you obviously peed in someone’s Wheaties.

Why would you want to do business with people who treat you like crap?

The first FBO I dealt with back in Williamsport, PA (at the time DeGol) treated everyone like crap. The woman in charge liked me, but the main operations manager hated me and treated everyone there like crap. He and I got into it a bunch of times. The problem was, it was by far the closest airport to my house and also had by far the best facilities, so I put up with it for the 5 years I flew out of there. That was the case for everyone else who was based there as well.

Yeah, things like this happen. It's best to find businesses who you like doing business with.

Been fortunate I guess as I've never experienced a bad FBO or flight school, or owner/management.

In my limited experience, there are few good business people in GA.

Maybe because GA isn’t a good business? :rolleyes:

Some folks hold a grudge,whatever the reason is it is justified in their minds. There is little that can be done to change that opinion. You could confront the chief flight instructor and say you would like to bury the hatchet or walk away being thankful you don't have to deal with someone with PMS..:rolleyes:

Some folks hold a grudge,whatever the reason is it is justified in their minds. There is little that can be done to change that opinion. You could confront the chief flight instructor and say you would like to bury the hatchet or walk away being thankful you don't have to deal with someone with PMS..:rolleyes:

This. Cut your losses and move on, getting jerks past their butthurt is often not worth the effort. You can't make them act how you want, so don't waste time trying to.

Spend your money with someone who wants it. There are other choices in your area, be glad for that.

Sometimes you just have to move on and go elsewhere it’s your money.

I guess this guy has never heard of the "brotherhood of aviators." Or maybe he has and this is how he treats his dysfunctional family.

I hate confrontation, but all talking big behind the keyboard, I might be tempted to just flat out ask them "Listen, what is the real problem here between us?"

Six years ago, I needed to get current in something, I don't remember what, but with the intent of renting for 100 hrs or so. I went over to the local plane patch, to one of the biggest operators on the east coast. They had the plane I was looking for.
I walked up to the counter and told the 20 something kid behind the counter I needed a plane and a pilot, to get current etc, etc, and the kid starts grandstanding for his girlfriend.
"Gee gramps, maybe it's time for a rocking chair and a shawl." hahahahahahah "Seriously, old timer, maybe you should find something a little safer at your age. hahahahahahaha"
"OK " says I. "Have it your way"
I went over to DXR and spent all my money there.
Fast forward a year. I fly into 1B1 and lo and behold, the owner of the big company with the court jester is in there. So I tell her how much money the smart-mouthed kid cost her.

She Skypes the kid, and asks him if he remembers me. He hems and haws and finally says yes. (I was in full clerical garb on both occasions. Hard to forget) She tells him "you cost me about $13,000.00. You're fired."
A week later the kid walks into one of the FBOs at DXR looking for a job. I walk out of one of the meeting rooms with a group of guys and the kid almost faints.
I look at him "Learned anything from all this?"
1. There are only 3 degrees of separation between everyone in the aviation business in any area.
2. Treat everyone with respect, until you know whether they deserve it or not.
I asked the FBO to hire him. He was a pretty good stick, and eventually made it into the big leagues.

I hate confrontation, but all talking big behind the keyboard, I might be tempted to just flat out ask them "Listen, what is the real problem here between us?"
I hate confrontation, too. It’s like mowing the lawn...I hate it, but sometimes it has to be done. In this case, I don’t think it’s worth it.

Six years ago, I needed to get current in something, I don't remember what, but with the intent of renting for 100 hrs or so. I went over to the local plane patch, to one of the biggest operators on the east coast. They had the plane I was looking for.
I walked up to the counter and told the 20 something kid behind the counter I needed a plane and a pilot, to get current etc, etc, and the kid starts grandstanding for his girlfriend.
"Gee gramps, maybe it's time for a rocking chair and a shawl." hahahahahahah "Seriously, old timer, maybe you should find something a little safer at your age. hahahahahahaha"

"Experience and technique will always superior to the arrogance of those that lack both", then wink at his girlfriend just before leaving. Maybe throw in a, "Call me if you every want to see how a real pilot handles the stick."

Last edited:

I'm in your part of the world, And I probably been to the flight school you are talking about, (Been to all of them in the area at least once). Pay as you go with all of the schools, (Like POA mentioned to me when I first started) If you don't like the school....find another one. If you give up all of your money to the school....You give up control.

GA is killing itself.

Every situation is different but there are some people that don't have a long term vision. If you "burn" someone they will tell everyone they know.

Online scheduling has become an easy way for FBOs to manipulate scheduling without having to apologize to customers for standing them up. I'm so tired of CFIs cancelling and aircraft mysteriously being flown into "100hr inspections" right before my scheduled flight, that I don't even bother anymore. Not sure who's gonna get paid to do my next flight review. But, I'll be damned if I schedule it through ScheduleMaster.

Online scheduling has become an easy way for FBOs to manipulate scheduling without having to apologize to customers for standing them up. I'm so tired of CFIs cancelling and aircraft mysteriously being flown into "100hr inspections" right before my scheduled flight, that I don't even bother anymore. Not sure who's gonna get paid to do my next flight review. But, I'll be damned if I schedule it through ScheduleMaster.

Aircraft do have to have 100 hour inspections. Online scheduling allows the FBO to easily notify all the affected customers when an aircraft is unavailable. If you are using millennial CFIs, that is your other issue.

"OK " says I. "Have it your way"
I went over to DXR and spent all my money there.
Fast forward a year. I fly into 1B1 and lo and behold, the owner of the big company with the court jester is in there. So I tell her how much money the smart-mouthed kid cost her.

She Skypes the kid, and asks him if he remembers me. He hems and haws and finally says yes. (I was in full clerical garb on both occasions. Hard to forget) She tells him "you cost me about $13,000.00. You're fired."
A week later the kid walks into one of the FBOs at DXR looking for a job. I walk out of one of the meeting rooms with a group of guys and the kid almost faints.
I look at him "Learned anything from all this?"
1. There are only 3 degrees of separation between everyone in the aviation business in any area.
2. Treat everyone with respect, until you know whether they deserve it or not.
I asked the FBO to hire him. He was a pretty good stick, and eventually made it into the big leagues.

Well done. I'm sure he will pass the wisdom along.

Aircraft do have to have 100 hour inspections. Online scheduling allows the FBO to easily notify all the affected customers when an aircraft is unavailable. If you are using millennial CFIs, that is your other issue.

Aircraft that flies maybe 2 1/2 hours a week on average has 5 hours to go till the 100hr on the night before my scheduled flight. Next morning Schedulemaster says down for 100hr inspection. No phone call, no explanation. Just my scheduled flight "overlayed" by maintenance. This is a lease back aircraft. Guess who the owner is that leased to the FBO? The guy doing the 100hr. Think he had somewhere to go?

CFIs are all part-timers who pick and choose which flights they "take" regardless of being shown "available" on the schedule. Guess what? They want all the Part 141 PPL students so they can plan out their schedule long term and still make it look good for the boss. Need a checkout in the Cirrus? To bad. Schedulemaster will let you schedule aircraft and instructor. Good luck though. They just hit the cancel button, no phone call, no reason given.

Imagine, though, all the money I wouldn't have made as an instructor because a nearby flight school had 1-2 airplanes a month that "suddenly" went into it of annual the day of a checkride...mid-month or later. :rolleyes:

Back