The FAA was right, this time. This ONE time.

"You shouldn’t try to stave off discomfort by taking a pain reliever before getting the shot. The concern is that premedicating with a pain reliever like acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), which can prevent side effects like arm soreness as well as fever or headache, might also blunt your body’s immune response."
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/...effects-faq.html?referringSource=articleShare
I would not take my medical advice from the NY Times.
My lawyer also suggests you not take it from me :)

Acetaminophen and ibuprofen have somewhat different modes of action though both are COX (1 and 2) inhibitors. In typical small doses, both are weak anti-inflammatories. Basically, they are for pain relief. Vitamin-I will inhibit aspirin's anti-platelet coagulation effects, so if you take prophylactic aspirin, wait an hour or so after taking the aspirin to take the ibuprofen.
I wouldn't worry a whit about taking a low-dose of ibuprofen before the shot for arm pain mediation. It takes 60-90 minutes for generic ibuprofen to take effect.(BTW--I choose ibuprofen over acetaminophen because it works better with my specific biochemistry).

That said, I am conservative in my drug use, so my plan is to wait for side effects to manifest before drugging up.

Moderna here.

1st Shot - nothing but a bit of a sore arm at injection site for a few days.
2nd Shot - same as 1st shot, possibly a headache from it, but very mild to the point where I almost didn't bother taking Tylenol for it.

If the shot kicked your six like it did mine it just means you have a well functioning immune system. Whatever you went though, it beats COVID, which routinely kills people and will happily transmit itself to your loved ones and potentially kill them.

Haven't had a vaccination yet, but had COVID in January. Mild case, down for 3 days then felt fine, but couldn't taste for 30 days. Tried to fly a week later. After the first landing, I realized my brain was not working at full speed and I was behind the plane. I shut it down and went home. Obviously the virus does some weird neurological stuff, so not surprising that the vaccines would have similar effect.

Back