The end of Reno

Pueblo is no garden spot either. But most folks will stay in C Springs, and Denver has direct flights to just about everywhere.

Pueblo is no garden spot either. But most folks will stay in C Springs, and Denver has direct flights to just about everywhere.

That's kind of what I thought, too. Roswell is a bit of a haul from everywhere.

I think they know elk archery season is September 1-24 in New Mexico and they'll know I'll be driving right through Pueblo, so I could attend.

So I guess it's gonna be in Pueblo.

Pueblo, CO is an ironic choice considering ...

If I was the governing race authorities, I would clearly and loudly tell Colorado they have been eliminated from consideration because of HB24-1235.
An alternative approach would be to use such an event to remind lawmakers of the economic benefits of GA. I would imagine the state reps from Pueblo are about to become believers.

Is there any public discussion or info about alternate sites for the National Air Races?
I think the only place where there won't be people to complain will be Area 51.

What a fantastic economic boost for Roswell.!!

But will the event still be called ''Reno Air Races''.??

Can't wait to see what the aliens enter in the unlimited class....
I've seen a project intended for the unlimited class. It's a p51 100% carbon fiber with drag reduction and a Rolls-Royce Griffin engine. Will likely be a couple years before it is done though.

If somebody shows up, at Roswell, and registers to race in one of these, I don’t care what class they enter or what place they get, I’d buy them a beer, even if I’m not attending the event, I’d mail them a money order with explicit instructions that it was only to be used for a celebratory toast.

If somebody shows up, at Roswell, and registers to race in one of these, I don’t care what class they enter or what place they get, I’d buy them a beer, even if I’m not attending the event, I’d mail them a money order with explicit instructions that it was only to be used for a celebratory toast.
I've flown more or less the RC version of that, that may have pre-dated the full sized.

It was a guy local to here that built them. Other than the size, the primary difference is that the "bug" had a flat airfoil. But if they flew similarly, that pilot isn't kidding, that's a really, really twitchy plane. It wasn't flyable without a lot of expo on the controls...it was easy to get it to roll, and it took a lot of throw to bring it back in. A lot of fun to fly, though. Still have it in the basement.

Carlsbad isn’t too far away.
And Artesia.

About 5 years ago I was about to buy 5 acres of land near Roswell. Really wish I had done that now.

Stupid stupid stupid me.

Lots of out of town oil field personnel in the area of Roswell, Carlsbad and Artesia. Hotel rooms are full of these folks.

Gonna be interesting to find rooms for the air races.

…Gonna be interesting to find rooms for the air races.
It will. Last time I was there was winter 20-21, and even the man camps were empty. I’m guessing that’s the opposite today.

More interesting will be the logistics for some of the West Coast-based unlimited teams to get their operation out to Roswell.

I can see T-6s and the GA stuff being fairly lowly impacted, but some of the exotic stuff is going to be more difficult.

Back