The Defender - 1988 film

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I have a friend to thank for sending me this lost classic. It’s about an hour long and definitely an interesting aviation story. Surreal and real at the same time. Some parallels to current development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbQMqd0kEY

A pair of calibrated instruments at the back :)

STILL IMAGE - SCREENSHOT - NO CONTROLS
upload_2020-10-31_7-3-1.png

Last edited:
Thanks, I am enjoying the video. Full of weird planes and some home made cars.

Anyone know what engine this is? Some Japanese bike thing from the 1970's? Twin cam, center cam drive.

STILL IMAGE - SCREENSHOT - NO VIDEO CONTROLS
upload_2020-10-31_7-50-51.png

upload_2020-10-31_8-40-38.png

Last edited:
Its a stalwart of Canadian defense industry don’t cha know...

Part of me still thinks this is a hoax film similar to This is Spinal Tap.

Its a stalwart of Canadian defense industry don’t cha know...

Part of me still thinks this is a hoax film similar to This is Spinal Tap.

Or the Raptor saga.

Anyone else notice that Diemert has a resemblance to Burt Rutan?

This really does play like a mockumentary.

Whoa the comments in the YouTube comments area are brutal. I have an hour or so to kill now that my kid is asleep and I can’t study IR stuff anymore.... honest answer pls - is this worth watching?

Whoa the comments in the YouTube comments area are brutal. I have an hour or so to kill now that my kid is asleep and I can’t study IR stuff anymore.... honest answer pls - is this worth watching?

Not really, IMO.

Ok thanks! Follow up question - if you had a couple hours to kill and wanted to watch an aviation themed movie/show/documentary what would it be?

I say yes. It’s hilarious because it tries so hard not to be.

Aviation movies?

Flight of the Phoenix
Strategic Air Command
Spirit of St Louis
The Right Stuff
Apollo 13

Airport (the first one with Dean Martin)

Last edited:
Ok thanks! Follow up question - if you had a couple hours to kill and wanted to watch an aviation themed movie/show/documentary what would it be?
Airplane!

Didn’t Google. Is the Confederate AF an actual thing? Or is that part of the mock?

Didn’t Google. Is the Confederate AF an actual thing? Or is that part of the mock?

Sure, the Confederate Air Force was very much a thing. Changed to Commemorative Air Force when the association's donations were threatened by political correctness.

You could spend countless hours on you tube with Zenos Warbirds

Back