The costs of flying

N

newpilot

As my first discovery flight is next week, I am a bit worried if I will be able to cover the costs all the way up to getting my PPL. My family said they are not sure if they can cover all the costs, and I'm not sure either. Right now, I have about $2000 saved up. My dad said he will cover about a thousand, and that's max. Keep in mind, I also don't have a car either, which the $2000 was supposed to add up for. (I turn 16 in a month)

I know you can go into the Air Force, but do I need a PPL before doing that? I'm almost 100% sure i'm not going to make a career out of flying, and the intent was for a nice hobby. So, i'm contemplating whether I should invest all the way into getting the PPL, but i'm not sure the total costs.

Somewhere I read, (don't know if accurate) getting the PPL itself costs 8k. And that does not cover flying with your PPL, like gas expenses and rental aircraft.

Why can't flying be cheaper :( I'm afraid ill have to go back to Microsoft Flight Simulator! Oh no!

Any feedback is appreciated, I know it is a huge investment and it takes a lot of dedication, and i'm not sure if I should be paying for this at this point in my life. Maybe something I do later in my life? When I have more money saved up? probably, but want to hear some feedback :)

-Matthew

Flying has always been my life-long dream

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

I am not as experienced as some of the other fine folks on this site but I am a hard working student so here is my take on the situation:

Flying is expensive, there is no way around it, paying $ 65.00 an hour for CFI and.. at least $120.00 for the airplane is bound to add up.

I can't speak for the total cost of the PPL as I don't have mine yet but I can tell you, I think it would be a bad idea to have a specific amount in mind as it depends on the amount of hours of instruction you'll require before you are ready for your check ride.

You might hear of someone who got their license after 45 hours and someone else who got it with 65, or even 85.

You have a real advantage in that you're very young, still live at home and don't really have any expenses.

My advice to you is to find an FBO with a good ground school. Learning as much as you can while on the ground will make the stuff in the sky make sense a lot faster.
Take the classes, read every book you can get your hands on and then get a job and budget as much money as possible for your flight training.
Join AOPA, as they have awesome resources for students and always keep the end game in sight.

And, as far as all the " what should I do at this point in my life stuff"
the truth of the matter is once you take that discovery flight, You'll know if aviation is something you CAN NOT live without.

Keep us updated?

I agree with "Sarah". If flying is your dream/passion you can easily make alot of money this summer. Flying is about dedication for sure. So this summer get yourself a good cheap car (one that dad approves and may help you fix when it breaks down) a job at some restaurant/grocery store. Then SAVE EVERY DIME. Sure you're friends will want to go out to eat and have a good time and so will you. But then you'll have to decide what is more important to you. Pick up every shift at said employer and work your butt off....because when you sit left seat in the airplane you'll again be working your butt off. It's about priorities deciding what you want. Just having the Priv Pilot Certificate is sort of the easy part. Paying to exercise the rights to it is expensive.

Try the discovery flight. See if you really like it! Some people get sick up there and you may realize it's not for you. Then go out and work your butt off this summer. Come September you should have another couple grand. Repeat again if applicable during school and next summer you should have the money. The question is what's more important t you. Social life with friends or flying?

You need to put at least 6k to 9k towards a ppl depends on pricing of the planes and how many hours it takes you .

I started after HS graduation with the knowledge that completing the training would require several summers and that it could only be paid from pocket money. Since I had no job opportunity or other reason to force the issue, that's exactly what happened.

The folks were OK with the flying idea, but didn't exactly jump at the chance to pay for it. When I or one of my friends hauled mom around in a nice jet or other cabin-class plane many years later, she often said she would have helped pay for it if she had known it would be that nice.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're best off trying to save up money and work accordingly towards your rating. Going into the military to get your pilot certs can work, but remember you aren't guaranteed a pilot slot, so only do it if you want to anyway.

You also have many years to learn. Young is the best time to do so, but if you go the Wayne approach, you can spread it out and still have fun. I think $8k is a good savings target - that should cover it and be a little on the conservative side.

The cost of flying is an issue. While attempts have been made to lower that cost in various ways, it hasn't worked sufficiently to bring it to the masses. Still, finding an independent instructor and cheaper plane to rent will help a great deal. If your goal is just to be in the sky rather than actually go anywhere, you might even consider an ultralight, or you could go for gliders to start.

It took me three years of off & on training due to money and health issues. It made the ride with the DPE so sweet when I finally got my private before I graduated high school in 2002. I added a high performance last year in a friend’s Cessna 205 which was a lot of fun.

I always feel like I absorbed more info studying on/off for three years than an accelerated course.

You need to put at least 6k to 9k towards a ppl depends on pricing of the planes and how many hours it takes you .

That is a pretty good range. I did my checkride at 52 hours and was right in the middle of the 6k - 9k range.

As my first discovery flight is next week, I am a bit worried if I will be able to cover the costs all the way up to getting my PPL. My family said they are not sure if they can cover all the costs, and I'm not sure either. Right now, I have about $2000 saved up. My dad said he will cover about a thousand, and that's max. Keep in mind, I also don't have a car either, which the $2000 was supposed to add up for. (I turn 16 in a month)

I know you can go into the Air Force, but do I need a PPL before doing that? I'm almost 100% sure i'm not going to make a career out of flying, and the intent was for a nice hobby. So, i'm contemplating whether I should invest all the way into getting the PPL, but i'm not sure the total costs.

Somewhere I read, (don't know if accurate) getting the PPL itself costs 8k. And that does not cover flying with your PPL, like gas expenses and rental aircraft.

Why can't flying be cheaper :( I'm afraid ill have to go back to Microsoft Flight Simulator! Oh no!

Any feedback is appreciated, I know it is a huge investment and it takes a lot of dedication, and i'm not sure if I should be paying for this at this point in my life. Maybe something I do later in my life? When I have more money saved up? probably, but want to hear some feedback :)

-Matthew

I'm all for following dreams and would never try and discourage anyone from doing so but I do want to point things out for you to consider.

Based on what you shared with us, you have no where near enough money saved up. Pilot training cost me about 12,000 dollars. It's expensive. Solution to this problem for you, why not work at the flight school over the summer? When I was 16 I was working all the time and saving for things too so I know what it's like, but if flying is that important you'll have to find a way to make it work.

The other thing to consider is you need to fly often during training, and even after to remain safe. The worst thing to do would be to start and then only fly once every couple of months. I doubt you'd make any real progress that way as you'd constantly be re-learning.

Lastly, if flying is not your intended career( I don't know if it is for you) then what is the rush? You are still young with much time ahead. I've learned in my life that the journey towards a goal is just as, if not more important than the goal. If the journey is going to be rough then maybe waiting until the finances align is the better option.

I don't want to come across as a downer but I do want to be honest. It is a bummer that flying costs so much but that's the reality. I hope however you decide you enjoy flying as much as you hope.

Mine was 10k and 50 hours. I think that is a much more reasonable estimate, but it really varies based on where you live and your schedule. I hear CA is a bit cheaper to fly. If you're training every day, 40 hours is very doable. Every week or two, plan on 50-60. I would say expect 10k anyway. That's including incidentals such as a headset, books (which can be obtained for free), checkride fee, etc. You can train as you get the money, but that requires a job, and a job requires a car. My advice would be to get the crappy car and see if you can get a job at the airport's FBO and get paid in flight time. Best of luck to you! And don't go into debt over this!!!

Go take the flight first, if you like it don't wait to start, the perfect time will never happen. As mentioned a glider rating can be had for 3k, depends on what you have in your area for glider clubs. Also location dependant with 3k you could be off flying a hang or paraglider, some locations have the conditions for nearly unlimited free flying. Another possible option is the civil air patrol, they will take in time more then you save in money, but it might work. Caveat with the civil air patrol, lots of marching, saluting make believe army stuff and not all squadrons train cadets to fly make sure you know before you spend time with them. If they do and you like the other stuff, it is a cheap way to fly, rentals are about the cost of has and instruction is free.
The big thing is if you want to fly don't wait to start, make it happen even slowly and don't be scared off by the price there is always a way.

Each person starting training is different. I flew ultra lights ( no license) for 5 years before even starting PPL. While those hours didn't count the experience did. It took me 28 days and $4,500ish to finish my PPL. Everyone is different, some get addicted to having a CFI sitting next to them.

Look into Sport Pilot. You could get that license first, then apply those hours towards a PPL. Cost would be within your current budget.

The SIM is good training actually. :yes:

Welcome to POA. :D

Last edited:
It all depends on where you're at.
My training as at a small airport a few miles from me, my instructor charges $35/hr, the plane (Cessna 152) is $85/hr. My lessons are typically about $120 or so per hour. Before that I was paying $30/hr and flying a Piper Cub for $61/hr, my lessons were less than $100.

I (and I think most people) pay per lesson. You can often get a discount if you pay a certain amount in advance (I save 5% if I pay $1000 up front), but you don't have to have the funds for the entirety of your training before starting. A part-time job would probably be enough to pay for your training, especially with a nice chunk already taken care of.

Step at a time.

Plan on getting to your solo. That alone is a great step.

Then continue to fly until the money runs out -- or slow down some so you earn enough to continue the training on a stretched out basis.

Check here: http://ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

If you can find a soaring club there is a potential to be able to learn to fly at a much lower cost. But, expect it to take longer and expect to do a lot of work around the club compared to the time in the air - there is no such thing as a free lunch.

You may or may not be able to find a job at a local airport where you can get a discount on flying.

You may or may not be able to find a club with a number of aircraft and low cost instruction.

You may be stuck with just flying every now and again as you can afford it.

A lot depends on how hard you are willing to work to find the opportunities.

-Matthew

If you don't mind trekking to Montana and sleeping in a tent and eating ramen for a couple of weeks, I can point you to a guy who'll get you your PPL for ~$4,000.00 assuming you're an average student.

Matthew,

As others said, use this summer to work hard to build up your training money. Doing so obtains an objective other than getting you into the air. It will develop a good character trait of not waiting for an entitlement from others to pay for it. It will show that you understand how to set an objective, develop plans to obtain that objective, then execute that plan and see it to the successful conclusion.

This is a trait that will serve you well for a very long time.

The other advice I'll add that I don't see covered is, avoid all temptation to over consume alcohol. Alcohol abuse is one area that the FAA has a low tolerance for, and one that can a) quickly kill your flying career or b) make it very expensive to obtain or retain your flying privileges. When you hit your senior year in high school and first years of college, the temptation to party and over consume alcohol is very real. Be very aware of the consequences if you over consume and are caught by the local law enforcers.

Finally, start finding out about your current health background and know for certain that you will pass the flight physical 100% the first time. With young kids, I add asking your parents if you were ever tagged with ADHD/ADD and then prescribed meds for this. We have had lots of threads about this (good and bad). Essentially if you were caught up in this net, there is additional work to be done BEFORE you go in for your flight physical.

If you don't mind trekking to Montana and sleeping in a tent and eating ramen for a couple of weeks, I can point you to a guy who'll get you your PPL for ~$4,000.00 assuming you're an average student.

Isn't there some motorcycle riding, Fly Baby owning guy in Lincoln, NE, who might do the same?

Where in NorCal are you? Ironically, you will probably not have more expendable income than at this time of your life (assuming you get a job), until you hit your forties. While you are living with your parents and don't have any car payments, rent, etc, this might be the best time to make it work. I tried to get my son interested, when he was 17, but girls and friends were more interesting to him at that time and now he is away at college, then there will be launching a career and family, etc.

-Matthew

Yes, I don't think getting your PPL is in the cards at this stage in your life . . . first because you don't have enough money and second because it will just take the fun out of it if you're constantly worrying how you're going to pay for your next lesson.

I think it's a real shame that general aviation has gotten so expensive, and has priced out eager young people who have saved responsibly, like you, but that's just the fact of the matter these days. But you're so young--there will be plenty of time to pursue this hobby as long as you get a good education and a well-paying job down the line.

To answer your question, no, you don't need a PPL prior to joining the Air Force--either enlisted or officer, pilot or non-pilot, no PPL necessary.. If the military is something you're considering PM me and I can give you a little better guidance.

Where in NorCal are you? Ironically, you will probably not have more expendable income than at this time of your life (assuming you get a job), until you hit your forties. While you are living with your parents and don't have any car payments, rent, etc, this might be the best time to make it work. I tried to get my son interested, when he was 17, but girls and friends were more interesting to him at that time and now he is away at college, then there will be launching a career and family, etc.

John's right. Although you may not be rolling in it right now, chances are that you have more money now relative to your expenses than you will once you really join the workforce, move out, have a family etc.

Network as much as humanly possible, and save up. You never know when you might find a CFI hard up for students and is willing to give discount rates.

Yes, I don't think getting your PPL is in the cards at this stage in your life . . . first because you don't have enough money and second because it will just take the fun out of it if you're constantly worrying how you're going to pay for your next lesson.

I think it's a real shame that general aviation has gotten so expensive, and has priced out eager young people who have saved responsibly, like you, but that's just the fact of the matter these days. But you're so young--there will be plenty of time to pursue this hobby as long as you get a good education and a well-paying job down the line.

To answer your question, no, you don't need a PPL prior to joining the Air Force--either enlisted or officer, pilot or non-pilot, no PPL necessary.. If the military is something you're considering PM me and I can give you a little better guidance.

Yep, that's my life story. Had the boyhood dream from about 4 years old, of becoming a pilot but no financial means. Studied everything I could, used several home flight simulators, went to electrical/electronics schools.

At 20, I got a very good career/job as an electrician installing and maintaining runway & taxiway lighting, etc. The next year I got married and started a family.....there goes the flying money:rofl:

Took me until I was 32 to finally have enough to get the ball rolling:rolleyes:
Got my PPL a few weeks before my 33rd birthday.

I was determined to make it happen! Best thing I've ever done:yes:

Working at two international airports was a bonus, I was able to hang out around airplanes for 8 hours a day, meet many pilots and get cockpit tours of some awesome planes, including a C-141! and the knowledge gained from working there, was a plus when I started taking flight lessons.

I guess what I'm saying is....where there's a will, there's a way. You just have to find that way and never give up your will!

Last edited:
Don't listen to the 'don't start until you have saved enough to finish' advice. That is valid advice for middle aged people, not teenagers. Fly when you can scrape enough together for a lesson. As others have said you may have more disposable income and time now and in the next couple of years, then in the next 25 years following HS/college graduation.

True that. If I hadn't trained before the family stuff came along, at least 15 years would have elapsed before I ever saw the inside of a cockpit.

Don't listen to the 'don't start until you have saved enough to finish' advice. That is valid advice for middle aged people, not teenagers. Fly when you can scrape enough together for a lesson. As others have said you may have more disposable income and time now and in the next couple of years, then in the next 25 years following HS/college graduation.

You either do it, or you don't. There's really not much to say beyond that. With priorities, and enough work and income to support yourself and the hobby, it can be done.

Flew "hand to mouth" for years, stopped for eight years, started up again later. Life typically is long enough to do that. At 16, in theory you'll have a lot of time to make and re-make that decision... "Should I fly today?"

No guaratees though... live your life today.

I had a flying club that helped keep costs down when I started flying at 16 years old I know that the AOPA is encouraging flying clubs, are there any options in your area?

To keep costs down for me now I have a partner in an airplane ownership of a 1978 plane.

I started after HS graduation with the knowledge that completing the training would require several summers and that it could only be paid from pocket money. Since I had no job opportunity or other reason to force the issue, that's exactly what happened.

The folks were OK with the flying idea, but didn't exactly jump at the chance to pay for it. When I or one of my friends hauled mom around in a nice jet or other cabin-class plane many years later, she often said she would have helped pay for it if she had known it would be that nice.

Wayne is a good example of the successes that "nose to the grindstone and shoulder to the wheel" dedication provides.

Parker Woodruff (who doesn't post here as often as he should) is another. I remember him telling me of his work earning money in a Golf Pro shop refurbishing and reselling cast off and traded in clubs and other golf equipment, and other odd jobs.

It also never hurts to start making friends at the local airport. Build a network of contacts who share your passion for flying. You might find one or two that would barter some flying for your time to complete odd jobs.

And check into the EAA Young Eagles program.

As others have said, flying is expensive and, unfortunately, there's no way around it :(.

When all is said and done, with your instructor, aircraft rental, gear, books, medical, checkride, etc., you're probably looking at $8500-$10000. That being said, I think you have two options, both of which are solid, depending on what you really want to do:

1) If your goal is to get your PPL and that's what you want really bad right now, then I'd say you're better off saving up until you can knock it all out at once - it is, without a doubt, the most efficient way to learn.

2) If you've got the flying bug and just want to be in the air (and are OK with the PPL taking a while to achieve), then I'd say go for it with the funds you have and fly with your CFI (or Solo if you can make it there) and just enjoy until the funds run out.

I think, for the most part, even when funds are tight, we all figure out a way to make it work if we want it bad enough - and I know the same will be true for you!

I spent about 5k on my license. I think I really thought through it and posted in another thread on here somewhere how much it actually cost. But IIRC the 5k figure included training materials, the exam fees and the $600 it cost to get started in the flying club.

I rented a 152 at $75/hr and instructor was $25.

You might not be so lucky to have a good club with reasonable rates in your area.

I spent about 5k on my license. I think I really thought through it and posted in another thread on here somewhere how much it actually cost. But IIRC the 5k figure included training materials, the exam fees and the $600 it cost to get started in the flying club.

I rented a 152 at $75/hr and instructor was $25.

You might not be so lucky to have a good club with reasonable rates in your area.

Those prices are well below the going rate in NorCal. Expect $50 to $60 an hour for instruction and $80 to $110 for a 150 rental (wet). Depending where in NorCal, it can even be higher.

You mentioned the Air Force as a possible path to flying, so as a former Naval Aviator who was passionate about flying when I was your age, but could not afford it, let me explore a couple of ideas with you with regards to the military flying option. First, flying is a very expensive hobby. If you are going to spend your own money on it, it pays to work toward a flying profession from which you can recoupe your investment in yourself and continue to fly for "free."

Selection into a military flight training billet is very competitive, and obviously four or five years down the road for you at the earliest, assuming you enroll in college and get into some sort of military officer selection process with an aviation guarantee. All of the armed forces have these programs for college students.

The key to qualifying and getting chosen into one of the flight student billets is three fold: 1. You have to physically qualify. You will go through several flight physicals and eye exams over the course of your college career to make sure you are physically qualified as you near graduation and commissioning. 2. Your academic standing in college will play a key role in putting you at the head of the line for these coveted student pilot billets. 3. Your performance in Officer Candidate School will go along ways in putting you at the head of the line assuming the other two key elements are taken care of.

In my own particular case, I chose the longest way to get to where I wanted to go. I flunked out of college my first year, joined the Marines for four years, went back to college and qualified for the Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Class, went to two summers of OCS, qualified for a guaranteed shot at flight school, graduated from college, got my commission, completed the Basic School in Quantico Va and finally arrived in Pensacola FL to start my flight ground school training. Through pure luck, I got my commission just one month prior to the cut off date for flight training (27 years 6 months old.)

The wait was more than worth it and I highly recommend the military option to you as well. You must be focused, be patient, and don't let anyone steal your dream!

I learned at 21. I wish I had learned at 17. Now I feel like I missed those 4 years of adventures and experience! I could imagine waiting until life slowed down. Do what you can to fly. Go work line service, flip cars, wash planes. You'll find a way if its really what you want to do.

You mentioned the Air Force as a possible path to flying, so as a former Naval Aviator who was passionate about flying when I was your age, but could not afford it, let me explore a couple of ideas with you with regards to the military flying option. First, flying is a very expensive hobby. If you are going to spend your own money on it, it pays to work toward a flying profession from which you can recoupe your investment in yourself and continue to fly for "free."

Careful with that advice. That's part of the reason professional pilot as a career is so volatile and lousy-paying in aggregate. Work for money, not for neato kicks. Fly for fun if fun and personal enjoyment is what you seek out of the endeavor. Don't fly for kicks when money to afford a life is what you're after...I'm not saying making a comfortable living is impossible in aviation, just very unlikely for the median. Advice such as the above is the root cause of that labor dynamic IMO.

And I'm a military aviator as well, just so you know where I'm coming from. I'd never go swing gear in the right seat of an RJ with a retirement check in hand just because [autopilot-on airliner??, really?] flying is so damn neato...That hurts people trying to make a living. Granted, we don't owe each other anything when it comes to undercutting each other on the labor market, but from my perspective, making 'work' out of avocations is generally poor form. Plenty of divorces and broken dreams result from it.

I recognize recreational flying is expensive as hell. Having the majority of posters on here be your above average compensated IT nerds versus professional pilots lends itself to the idea flying for a living is not required to enjoy flying, though it certainly proves that most pro pilots CAN'T afford it, which is ironic as hell. Admitedly I don't have the interest to go become an IT nerd just so I can afford flying, but I'm sure I could do other things for a living in order to enjoy my passion for flying as an activity. I don't think regarding the act of flying as formal compensation is a mature response to the desire to enjoy flying altruistically. Not saying you're outright suggesting this, it just came across to me that way when I read it.

-Matthew

This will be a hobby for him, not a career.

I spent around 5k for the PPL. Half of the time was in a champ @ $70/hr, and then I switched to a 150. The 150 went offline, so I finished in a 172H.

If our OP has clarified, I missed it. But I think it's important to identify a goal. If the goal is just to get in the air, then I would give a serious look at ultralights and gliders. Gliders especially are really cool anyway, and will help you when you move to powered flight. Plus as you get better, one tow can last you all day - just ask Tony.

Since the OP did state that he's not expecting to be a professional pilot, then this might be a good place to start. Then scrape up the money for the PPL add-on.

All the save ten grand first talk probably scared the poor kid off

I second the advice to see if the airport FBO is hiring. You'll get to know the instructors, as well as other pilots and owners. Come across as a stand-up responsible guy and you'll probably be able to score some free or discounted flying. My experience has been that people like to help out young eager and responsible pilot-hopefuls.

Back