The Cap Does Not Make The Man

tinerj

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
tinerj
The waitress came to me, took me out of a long line of people waiting for a table, seated me at a four place table although I was alone, took my order quickly, served me promptly, and later brought my check that had a 25 percent discount. I puzzled about the swift service and discount, but had no ready explanation.

About two years later, a young woman came up to me and thanked me for my service. Looking perplexed, she pointed to my cap and said, "Your military service." I informed her I had not been in the military. I looked at the cap and saw it was my AOPA cap with wings on it.

Now the previous restaurant incident became clear. It must have been Veterans day or some other military observance, and the waitress had seen my AOPA cap and thought I was military.

I felt bad about that and for several years I wore a cap that had nothing that could be mistaken for the military. One day, when I was dressed as a businessman, except for my non-AOPA cap, a man came up and asked if I had any work he could do, explaining that he'd had experience in building. Puzzled, I said, "No, sorry." My wife pointed out that I was wearing a cap that had the name of a contracting company on it. He'd thought I was a boss at some construction site.

Last night, I came in wearing a cap that had a helicopter and Med-Evac insignia on it. My wife said, "Take it off. You don't know where that will lead."

There's always one of these... :D :D :D: :D
CvlBtBmUEAIh0qp.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvlBtBmUEAIh0qp.jpg[/img]

Well, I wear a high and tight haircut (those that know me can attest) and, although it's been over twenty years since I left the military, they still sometimes give me the military discount for haircuts. I don't ask for it, but if they want to give it to me, I'll take it. I think the haircut place to which I refer extends the policy to veterans, so, I guess I count.

It’s weird. There is all of this bending over backwards gushing love fest these days for service members. Never saw it in my military days. And to be honest, I’m glad it didn’t exist back then. I also work with a veteran who is 15 years younger than me and every time we go out to lunch together, he is always asking for the veteran’s discount. I have never done that. It’s all sort of strange.

I never ask for a military discount or any other discount except what is advertised or with coupons.

But lately I have been getting a senior citizen discount without anyone, me or them, asking....o_O

One day myself, my wife and my 86 year old mother went to a restaurant. I looked at the bill, and the wait unit gave ALL of us a senior citizen discount. My wife is 18 years younger than me.

I am not a senior citizen. I have 10 months to go before that happens.

I never ask for a military discount or any other discount except what is advertised or with coupons.

But lately I have been getting a senior citizen discount without anyone, me or them, asking....o_O

One day myself, my wife and my 86 year old mother went to a restaurant. I looked at the bill, and the wait unit gave ALL of us a senior citizen discount. My wife is 18 years younger than me.

I am not a senior citizen. I have 10 months to go before that happens.

What’s the age to be a senior? I always figure it was my current age plus at least one more year.

There is all of this bending over backwards gushing love fest these days for service members. Never saw it in my military days.

I didn't see it either. In 1973 I was walking home from school in my ROTC uniform. A green VW with flowers painted on it pulled up and a girl threw a can at me, and said something that sounded like "tuck to", then took off as fast as an old VW could.

When I finally joined the army, they suggested very strongly that we not wear our uniform off base on our off time.

What’s the age to be a senior? I always figure it was my current age plus at least one more year.

:lol::lol: Some places start sr citizen discounts at age 60. I am not 60.

I didn't see it either. In 1973 I was walking home from school in my ROTC uniform. A green VW with flowers painted on it pulled up and a girl threw a can at me, and said something that sounded like "tuck to", then took off as fast as an old VW could.

When I finally joined the army, they suggested very strongly that we not wear our uniform off base on our off time.

:lol::lol: Some places start sr citizen discounts at age 60. I am not 60.

Yeah. I just hit 60 back in March. My wife likes to ask for the senior discount for me when we go out together. She thinks she’s funny. Like your girl, mine is 18 years younger.

Ya know, I think we’ve actually had this same conversation before.

Don’t use the military discount either. Sometimes I wear hats with former military units so they’ll ask and then offer the discount. Occasionally they’ll see my ID as I’m paying and then they’ll discount it as well but I never offer up the ID and ask. Did get 5 % off my ME training but that’s because he knew my background already.

Get enough veteran’s perks already, don’t care about saving a few percent here or there. Then again, as many times that I go to Lowes I could’ve saved a fortune.

Last edited:
I take the discount ever time. Lowes you know need a Mylowes account. Home Depot still needs a ID.

It’s weird. There is all of this bending over backwards gushing love fest these days for service members. Never saw it in my military days. And to be honest, I’m glad it didn’t exist back then. I also work with a veteran who is 15 years younger than me and every time we go out to lunch together, he is always asking for the veteran’s discount. I have never done that. It’s all sort of strange.

I feel the same way. I grew up military. To me it was just a job.

Not a veteran or senior citizen, but I get the same treatment as a firefighter. I never ask about discounts, but am surprised when offered them because I am wearing a FD shirt, hat, or jacket.

My father just turned 83. He is in very good health and gets out and about daily. He was in the navy and served aboard the original Roosevelt (the carrier that was scrapped years ago). He has never, ever asked for a veteran's discount on anything. He said he served his country, he didn't expect his country to serve him.

There is clearly a difference in old vets and new. New vets are smarter, saavy and less patriotic I think. Back in the day, it was about serving. In more modern times, it about a job, benefits, training in a skill, and "what's in it for me".

Sure, there are many patriotic people serving. The why has changed though. When I was recruiting, the only thing that sold was the "WIIFM".

I think it's foolish to turn down money myself. If a business wants to discount for vets, I'll take it. My pride won't get in the way of greenbacks.

I don't go out of my way to get a veteran discount but I do use Lowes a lot so yeah, I'll take that 10% thank you very much.

I did a remodeling of my house and I estimate I saved about $5k over 9 months. Between Lowes and home depot. That meant the difference between nice cabinets and cheap ones, or granite vs Corian.

And here I thought you were talking about Civil Air Patrol...

There is clearly a difference in old vets and new. New vets are smarter, saavy and less patriotic I think. Back in the day, it was about serving. In more modern times, it about a job, benefits, training in a skill, and "what's in it for me".

Sure, there are many patriotic people serving. The why has changed though. When I was recruiting, the only thing that sold was the "WIIFM".

I think it's foolish to turn down money myself. If a business wants to discount for vets, I'll take it. My pride won't get in the way of greenbacks.

It’s because modern vets are simply acting as politician’s mercenaries. Hate to say it, but it’s true.

We aren’t fighting to save the world from anything other than puppet dictators our own CIA put in place, and we’re way outside of the Constitutional purposes of our military.

Even if we argue we should do all of these things, we should make our “allies” do their fair share. They’re not even close.

I feel the same way. I grew up military. To me it was just a job.
As to the day to day I agree. However, they told you where to work, when to work, how to dress, how to act, and you couldn't quit until your hitch is up. Not your ordinary job.

I don't ask for a vets discount but if someone offers a discount, vet's or otherwise I'll take it. It's capitalism - you want to sell me something at a lower price, who am I to argue.

As to the day to day I agree. However, they told you where to work, when to work, how to dress, how to act, and you couldn't quit until your hitch is up. Not your ordinary job.

Well true, there is that.

I've worn my Yankee Air Pirate hat, or my Kill For Peace T-shirt to MOMS (organic market) - not planned, just came up in the hat/shirt rotation. The only one that got a comment was my "C-130 Hercules" cap. I let him live. .

Vets today vs old school. I can tell you in both Iraq and Afghanistan, no where near 45 % were in direct conflict with the enemy. Even the small percentage that were (estimated 25 %) most never experienced anything that would cause a disability.

A sad state of greed is what you have in the military these days. It’s not about service anymore, it’s about getting the most out of the govt before transitioning back to civilian life.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/almost-half-of-new-veterans-seeking-disability-benefits

Back