The Buckeye Boxcar

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Any flyable examples still around? For whatever reason this has always been one of my favorite classic "big iron" planes, I've got a nice model of one hanging in my office actually

Had a flight in one ,when I was a young kid,with the CAP.

The C-119 and the C-123 will be the planes I would have in the hanger when I win the multi mega dollar lottery...

That way I can carry everything plus the kitchen sink to go camping....

Last edited:
images
images
images

C-119 "Flying Boxcar". The Air Force had a version called the AC-119, second Gunship I believe after the AC-47. See if I can find a pic. Here's a link to the veterans who flew the AC-119:

https://www.ac119gunships.com/

Last year we had a reunion of the Pioneers of Stealth (people who worked on the Have Blue, Tacit Blue, F-117 and others) in Dayton. Down the hall at the same hotel was the AC-119 Gunship reunion. Sort of cool swapping lies in the Hall about two completely different generations of oddball airplanes.

Cheers

Had a flight in one ,when I was a young kid,with the CAP.
Same here. The USAF used to fly us to Montreal every year in one for the annual International Drill Competition.
We lost the port engine one year and had to make an emergency landing in Vermont. The pilot ran it off the runway into the mud, and it took longer to get it out of the mud than it did to fix the
engine. This is the offending engine, just minutes before it started burning. I was the only cadet with pilots license so the AF crew let me fly right seat for a while then stay up front in the jump seat.

c1192.JPG c1191.JPG

Back in the late 60's, I used to occasionally see a formation of C-119s flying low over my family's farm. We assumed these were Air National Guard or reserves, even back then when I thought of big airplanes, I thought of jets.

engine. This is the offending engine, just minutes before it started burning. I was the only cadet with pilots license so the AF crew let me fly right seat for a while then stay up front in the jump seat.
I too was a CAP Cadet with my pilot rating. Didn't wear my wings too long since I went into the real military shortly after. This was 1955
Paul
Salome, AZ

Hm, just noticed that Flight of the Phoenix (2004) is on HBO Now/Go. I think I might just queue it up tonight.

Back in the late 60's, I used to occasionally see a formation of C-119s flying low over my family's farm. We assumed these were Air National Guard or reserves, even back then when I thought of big airplanes, I thought of jets.

Yeah early chemtrail airplane...

images

Back