The Boeing 787, an insiders look.

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
This is from an e-mail I received, I am not the author.

-John

The guy who wrote the following is retired from Boeing. Thought you might find it interesting...... sorta "insider stuff"......

For one thing the problem may not be with the batteries themselves, but with the control system that keeps the charge on them at a given level. And the 'battery problem" is just one problem in many. Last week I had my regular monthly lunch with 5 fellow Boeing engineers (all but one retired) and we talked at length about what we call the "nightmare liner". We all agreed we will not book a flight on one. The one engineer still working (at age 74) says the news from inside is not good, and that there are no quick fixes for the multitude of problems that the 787 has.

The disaster began with the merger with McDonnell-Douglas in the mid 90s. The M-D people completely took over the Board and installed their own people. They had no experience with commercial airplanes, having done only"cost-plus" military contracting; and there are worlds of difference between military and commercial airplane design.

Alan Mulally, a life-long Boeing guy and President of Boeing Commercial Division was against outsourcing. But instead of making him CEO after he almost single-handedly saved the company in the early 90s, the Board brought in Harry Stonecipher from McDonnell-Douglas, who was big on outsourcing. Stonecipher was later fired for ethics violations. Then the Board brought in Jim McNerney, a glorified scotch tape salesman from 3M and big proponent of outsourcing, to develop the 787. (Alan Mulally left to become CEO of Ford and completely rejuvenated that company.)

McNerney and his bean-counting MBAs thought that instead of developing the 787 in-house for about $11 billion, they could outsource the design and building of the airplane for about $6 billion. Right now they are at $23 billion and counting, three years behind in deliveries, with a grounded fleet. That's typical for military contracting, so McNerney and the Board probably think they are doing just fine. But it will destroy Boeing's commercial business in the same way McDonnell wrecked Douglas when they took over that company decades ago.

Boeing had a wonderfully experienced team of designers and builders who had successfully created the 707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, and 777 in-house, always on-time, and mostly within budget, and with few problems at introduction. That team is gone, either retired or employed elsewhere. (I took early retirement after the McD takeover of Boeing because I knew the new upper management team was clueless.)

The 787 was designed in Russia , India , Japan , and Italy . The majority of the airplane is built outside the US in parts and shipped to Seattle or Charleston for assembly.

Gee, what could possibly go wrong? Answer: just about everything. Because the M-D people that now run Boeing don't believe in R&D, the structure of the airplane will be tested “in service.”

Commercial airplanes in their lifetime typically make ten times as many flights and fly ten times as many flight hours as military airplanes, so the argument that composite structure has been "tested" because of the experience of composite military airplanes is just so much BS. So structure is a big issue. The 787 is very overweight. The all-electric controls have the same lack-of-experience issue that the structure has.

The good news for me is that the Boeing pension plan is currently fully funded, although it may not stay that way as the 787 catastrophe develops.

This is from an e-mail I received, I am not the author.

"The price of being on the bleeding edge" - can't rember who

New management took a good business model and trashed it for the new one.

This [being the email posted] is also not true, has no attribution and is just hyperbole being sent out as truth using some guys reputation without a single name to try to make it so.

McDonnell Douglas has no idea how to build airliners? F me. DC-3, DC4, DC6, DC7, DC8, DC9, DC10, MD11, KC10.

What pure crap. The airplane may have its issues but engineering skill is not one of them. It seems like it is what happens when bean counters design airplanes.

I have said dozens of time that human beings can design and build a nuclear power plant to operate perfectly, its just that they cannot be trusted to run one. Same story here- instead of engineers have the final design authority the budget had the final authority and it simply is not the way to build anything -

Last edited:
This [being the email posted] is also not true, has no attribution and is just hyperbole being sent out as truth using some guys reputation without a single name to try to make it so.

Smelled that way to me, too.

McDonnell Douglas has no idea how to build airliners? F me. DC-3, DC4, DC6, DC7, DC8, DC9, DC10, MD11, KC10.

Lotta derivatives of the DC9 too - MD80/83/88/90/95/etc.

What pure crap. The airplane may have its issues but engineering skill is not one of them. It seems like it is what happens when bean counters design airplanes.

Hopefully they learned their lesson.

To be fair those were all Douglas aircraft. The DC-10 was built after the merger but it was a Douglas design, even the MD-11 is basically an upgraded DC-10 and it wasn't successful against the competition. Sure MD made the F-15 and F-18 but, as the poster pointed out, military contracts are vastly different from civilian transport projects. You build a couple of prototypes, get the contract and it's sealed, there's no competition.

As for the outsourcing, it didn't start with the 787 - the 777 was highly outsourced as well and despite the evident problems of that program the trend was continued and accelerated. It wasn't just Boeing either, there was an unchecked tide of outsourcing throughout most industries (Airbus included) a trend that seemed to be completely blind to it's own shortcomings. Management was hell bent on doing it and wasn't about to admit screwing the pooch because a great deal of the outsourcing actions were non-reversible.

You can call the guy disgruntled, doesn't mean he has no justification for being so.

It is an email and everything you get in email is true.

If you've been following the development saga of the Boeing 787 over the past few years I think you'll find that pretty much everything he said is true. Unless you can find something saying that it all happened a different way? Everything I've read from multiple sources has described it just as this guy did in his email.

It's not anything new.

If you've been following the development saga of the Boeing 787 over the past few years I think you'll find that pretty much everything he said is true. Unless you can find something saying that it all happened a different way? Everything I've read from multiple sources has described it just as this guy did in his email..
The email in the OP makes it sound like Alan Mulally is a god and was anti-outsourcing and everything would be better if he were still running the show.

Mulally was appointed head of the commercial aviation group after the merger and I've seen plenty of published reports that indicate Mulally was a proponent of outsourcing. See here or here.

The OP also says all of Boeing's planes were developed on-time and mostly under budget. According to WSJ, "Mulally's previous project, the 777, introduced in 1995, was considered a success but had cost twice as much as originally planned. Mr. Stonecipher and his allies were reluctant to commit to a new jetliner unless the cost fell by billions of dollars."

So either the OP or the WSJ, Los Angeles Times, and/or Seattle Times have something wrong.

They're all on the Internet, though, so they must all be true....

Back