The best thing about older aircraft...

What is this throttle coordinator of which you speak? :biggrin:

It is a small metal box wherein the throttle and collective are connected and it filled with pixies and unicorn farts. Rumor has it, it actually does something..

Coulda fooled me!

The throttle coordinator sorta worked, but I still had to constantly adjust the throttle during power changes.

I wonder if it needed some rigging help. Ours works pretty good, or at least I think it does. It’s no governor but it does the job fairly well.

It is a small metal box wherein the throttle and collective are connected and it filled with pixies and unicorn farts. Rumor has it, it actually does something..

Coulda fooled me!
I thought it was called a throttle correlator.

I thought it was called a throttle correlator.
Depends. If its a mechanical connection between the collective and the throttle it's called a correlator. However, on this those helicopters without a correlator its called the coordinator and is that sloppy link that connects the throttle, collective, and cyclic to the seat pan.:)

The helicopters I used to fly always had a loose nut on the cyclic.

The helicopters I used to fly always had a loose nut on the cyclic.
How true. But remember we can always torque check the wingnut between the cyclic and collective or bleed the cockpit meat servo to keep things going.;)

How true. But remember we can always torque check the wingnut between the cyclic and collective or bleed the cockpit meat servo to keep things going.;)

LOL! Thank you! Brings back memories of all those different wingnuts--some looser than others, and some with stripped threads that just flew off into the sunset. Of course on the ancient teeter-totter helicopters, the Jesus Nut was the most important one. If that one flew off, you have just enough time to say "Oh Jesus!"

A lot of old airplanes smell like stale 80/87 gasoline. Someone needs to come up with an aerosol can of that odor. Name it "Evening In Oshkosh" or something like that. An exotic aviation perfume.

absolutly! You could do some blends w different versions- so Evening at Oshkosh stale 80/87 with essence of aeroshell” and such…

heck you know we all would be spraying it on ourselves! :)

And don't forget that special fragrance when you spill a little Camguard on the exhaust...

Speaking of manuals, I did an annual on a Socata TB-10 last year (think French Cherokee) and the maintenance manual was laid out in ATA chapters like an airliner.
Chapter 52 - Doors was 50 pages, Chapter 11 - Placards and Markings 176 pages!

Last edited:
Back