The best mail-order steak

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
I've long held Lindey's Prime Steak House, in the Twin Cities, as my favorite restaurant. After posting an entry mentioning that to my LJ recently, I went to the site, and discovered they're now selling their yummy dead cow by mail-order. Naturally, I had to try it out.

My order arrived yesterday. It was properly frozen and in good shape. I stuck the package in the fridge to thaw. We had two of the four 8-ounce steaks for dinner tonight. I knew they'd gotten it right when I recognized the aroma coming out of my George Foreman grill: it smelled just like the steak you get at the Lindey's restaurant. Tasted just like it, too, plus or minus differences in cooking method (the restaurant uses a broiler at some amazingly high temperature, and I overdid them just a bit) and side dishes.

The steaks are an amazing value at $26.95 for two pounds of meat (in one, two, or four steaks), plus $12.95 for overnight shipping to Fairmont. I expect shipping elsewhere would be more, but haven't checked it out. For $10 apiece shipped, we got a far better steak than the typical grocery store $8 butcher shop steak. You can bet we'll be ordering more, regularly.

If you can't make it to the Twin Cities to get a Lindey's steak in person, this is the next best thing. Highly recommended. :cheerswine:

I knew they'd gotten it right when I recognized the aroma coming out of my George Foreman grill:

First of all,

You cooked a STEAK on a GEORGE FOREMAN grill? Shame on you. ;)

Second of all...

How'd ya get it to not suck? I've never managed to take more than two bites of a steak off my George Foreman grill - They always came out rubbery and tasting... Off somehow. It worked fine for chicken, burgers, brats, dogs, whatever else, but never steak.

Just before the 6Y9 flyin I watched two videos on meat production. I was barely able to eat my burger that weekend and am back to swearing off meat again. I have not had any meat for almost 2 weeks. Just the thought of steak makes me want to gag.

But y'all enjoy your animal flesh.

Just before the 6Y9 flyin I watched two videos on meat production. I was barely able to eat my burger that weekend and am back to swearing off meat again. I have not had any meat for almost 2 weeks. Just the thought of steak makes me want to gag.

But y'all enjoy your animal flesh.
"People are happiest when they don't know how laws or sausages are made."

- Otto Von Bismarck

Ron Wanttaja

You cooked a STEAK on a GEORGE FOREMAN grill? Shame on you. ;)
Hey, it works reasonably well...

How'd ya get it to not suck? I've never managed to take more than two bites of a steak off my George Foreman grill - They always came out rubbery and tasting... Off somehow. It worked fine for chicken, burgers, brats, dogs, whatever else, but never steak.
Don't overdo it. I cook steak for 8 minutes: 4 minutes, turn with a pair of tongs (to not make holes that let juices out), 4 more minutes. I actually overcooked the Lindey's steak slightly, and will use 7 minutes for the other two in that first shipment.

Although it runs counter to the ingrained preference of most steak-lovers, cutting the steak into much thinner slices and cooking for a very short time produces excellent results on the Geo.

Hey, it works reasonably well...

Don't overdo it. I cook steak for 8 minutes: 4 minutes, turn with a pair of tongs (to not make holes that let juices out), 4 more minutes. I actually overcooked the Lindey's steak slightly, and will use 7 minutes for the other two in that first shipment.

Although it runs counter to the ingrained preference of most steak-lovers, cutting the steak into much thinner slices and cooking for a very short time produces excellent results on the Geo.
That is one thing that will get you in trouble: trying to cook something that's too thick. I try not to cook anything thicker than an inch and a half on mine, and it's the big, fancy one with the double hinge. If you can't close the top and have it lay reasonably flat on what you're cooking, it's too thick.

Less than 1" works best, and due to the shortened cooking time (but with both sides being heated simultaneously) the meat is quite juicy, pink in the middle and about as good as it gets if you must cook it in the house.

That is one thing that will get you in trouble: trying to cook something that's too thick. I try not to cook anything thicker than an inch and a half on mine, and it's the big, fancy one with the double hinge. If you can't close the top and have it lay reasonably flat on what you're cooking, it's too thick.

My M.I.L. raises cows on her farm, and that's where we get a lot of our meat. She names them in the field.

"Who are we eating tonight?"
"Oh, this is Elizabeth..."

My M.I.L. raises cows on her farm, and that's where we get a lot of our meat. She names them in the field.

When my fiancee (at the time) and I went to visit her aunt and uncle, it was the same thing. They raised longhorns on their farm. Every meal had a story (and usually a name) behind it.

As for your no-eat-meat, Scott, I am a member of the other PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals. :D

Meet your meat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4

This is a graphic video. Do not watch before dinner.

I didn't bother to watch this, but seeing as I butcher my own deer, and make my own sausage, I'm not sure it would bother me much.

I don't know where YOUR steak has been, but I know exactly what happened to mine, from in the wild to on my table.

Tim

If God had not intended that we eat animals, he would not, in his divine wisdom, have made them out of food.

---

Reminding me of that great scene in the movie, Giant, when the Thanksgiving turkey is brought to the table, and little Jordan Benedict points to the bird, and says, "Pedro?" (Pedro was the turkey they had been feeding and fattening-up); Grandma says, "Yes, dear, that is Pedro," and Grandpa comments on what a fine bird it is, eagerly cuts into it and the two little children burst into tears.

OK, it's funny when you watch it.

I didn't bother to watch this, but seeing as I butcher my own deer, and make my own sausage, I'm not sure it would bother me much.

I don't know where YOUR steak has been, but I know exactly what happened to mine, from in the wild to on my table.

Tim

Are you going to bring any of it to 6Y9 next year? That sounds like a yummy dinner (and sausage for breakfast)! Maybe we can do a cookout one evening - not that I didn't enjoy going to Hoppy's, but it would be nice to have dinner around a fire one night.

I don't really need to watch the video, I've seen no shortage of animals and humans in various forms that are certainly not as they came. A lot of society likes this overly sanitized version of life that doesn't reflect reality. Not something I really understand - even though I was raised with it.

All this worry reminds me of the best breakfast I had at ROTC summer camp in 1973 (yeah, I know, that was a long time ago and I'm OLD!).

Field training exercise. Met up with "partisans" who gave us live chickens and potatoes. Those who had never seen chicken except in the store had a problem. Those of us who grew up bird hunting did quite well. I took care of the bird while another squad member prepared the spit over the fire. And the potatoes? Boy Scout training to the forefront! Wrap them in mud and toss them in the coals. About the time the mud was dry you had great baked potatoes. Best breakfast in the 6 weeks I spent at Ft. Lewis.

So, do I know where my steaks come from? Sure, dead cows. :D

Our first cows were Steak and Roast.
Our first pigs were Oscar, Meyer, and Weiner (who was the sow for an added joke).

Cows are the dumbest creatures on the earth, except for a tiny evil part of their brain that excels at finding where the fence is broken.

Cows are the dumbest creatures on the earth, except for a tiny evil part of their brain that excels at finding where the fence is broken.

Amen to that. Sure makes it easy for a couple of good Australian Shepherds to move them around, though. :yes:

Back