The airport was there first....

“I’d like to suggest one thing that I think could make the airport operations a whole lot safer for everyone, and that is to abolish touch-and-go’s and eliminate the practice flights”

So flying would be safer if pilots were prohibited from practicing? :mad2:

Right up there with buying a house near the gun range and complaining about the noise

...because the plane that crashed was on a practice flight doing those doggone touch-and-gos. Oh wait. It wasn't. But let's ban them anyway. And ban sputtering engines too.

Right up there with buying a house near the gun range and complaining about the noise

Noise is one thing, but bullets or planes hitting people's homes is a real problem. I don't want to see airports, or gun ranges, shut down. I'm just glad this type of thing doesn't happen very often!

Cars hitting peoples homes are a real problem too... maybe we should shut down streets?

You buy a house on the end of the runway,usually for a very good price,then you try to get the airport shut down. Even when the airport uses noise abatement procedure and restricted flying,some people will never be happy.

It's amazing, more and more people have this mentality, and unfortunately a lot of it is my generation. I don't know the details of this situation, but I am pretty sure this airport was around long before this lady and her two year old. If you choose to live by an airport, you are probably gonna hear some airplane noise, and very unfortunately there is the risk of what happened there a year ago, but it is probably the realtor and the owners they bought the house from's fault for not making them sign a noisy airplane waiver.

Howzabout eminent-domaining every house within, say, a 5 mile radius from the airport? For their safety, of course. Might get them to STFU.

Yes, ban those pesky training activities. We all know training doesn't make anyone safer anyhow.

Neighbors are pressing the airpark to alter flight patterns, including flying at higher altitudes during takeoffs and landings...

This has been the hardest skill for me to master. My takeoffs and landings are always at zero AGL.

I live about 20 miles south of the airport in the OP and fly out a airport a little farther south ( ANP ) . Story I got from my CFI about 10 years ago was that he was working on his plane one day and a guy wandered up looking a little lost. CFI asks if he can help him and the guy said he was looking for the airport manager because he wanted to find out when the airport was closing. Seems he bought a house close by and his Realtor told him that because another airport about 8 miles north ( FME ) was being reopened after being closed for several years that Lee would be closing soon. My CFI had to break the news to him and he was not happy. Lee has been around for more then 70 years and it's not likely to go anywhere soon. I found out later that a trick among the real estate people was to look at the winds in the area and show people houses under the landing side rather then the take off side so as to minimize the noise of aircraft during showing.

If I was based there. . .(I live not far away)

1. Get the count of car-hits-house incidents over the last 30 years (five mile radius).
2. Count of cyclists and pedestrians killed, same period, same geo.

Based on the carnage numbers, propose closing the airport, paving it into a large parking lot, and require all those in the radius to park there, and take a shuttle bus to-from their houses.

That would be safer, and geez, if it'll make the neighborhood safer, what's a little inconvenience? Use the public transportation shuttle! Your kids can play in the streets, and (fill in the numbers) deaths and house collisions will be avoided in the future.

What's a good guess on how many houses got pranged by cars in 30 years? 30? 50? 100? Maybe the same for count for dead and/or maimed by cars? Versus this tragic, but rare (and low) number of innocents killed.

Do this at one of the righteous indignation meetings, start with the stats, and let the sarcasm filter out slowly. "We have a crisis! Something must be done!"

The airport is run by a local gov't that couldn't find its a** with both hands and a roadmap. . . mostly liberal, with a huge employee-per-resident count, etc., etc., the usual east coast nanny-state situation . . .

Dropping a biz-jet on a mother and children is awful, it's heart-breaking. A father and brother lost their family. So did the folks in the last multi-death car wreck you read about. We aren't closing the roads, are we? We aren't even lowering the speed limit from 55 to 25, and that would save thousands. We aren't even limiting interstate highway usage to commercial trucks and buses. "Regular" people are allowed to mix in, too! And get killed. Risks we accept.

The airport isn't a minor country grass strip - it's close in to DC, and not a long drive to Baltimore; and it has economic importance. Yep, there is GA "hobby" aviation there, but also biz jet and commercial activity.

It's not just that the airport was there first, either - it's existence is disclosed on property transfers, and also when new development was done back in the day.

That's a very busy airport (for a GA airport) and one of the gateways for rich business jets into DC (since they don't go into DCA).

It's going nowhere no matter how much people whine.

Killing half a family with a flaming bizjet is pretty bad. If we only lost one airport out of it that really isn't a big deal. Who would trade their family for an airport?

Killing half a family with a flaming bizjet is pretty bad. If we only lost one airport out of it that really isn't a big deal. Who would trade their family for an airport?

So by that logic if a car killed a couple of family members, the road where it happened should be turned into a park?

So by that logic if a car killed a couple of family members, the road where it happened should be turned into a park?

Percentage of the population that uses cars vs airplanes? It is just a matter of losing less. GA has no place in a nation of pansies and we are all guilty of becoming a nation of pansies.

Percentage of the population that uses cars vs airplanes? It is just a matter of losing less. GA has no place in a nation of pansies and we are all guilty of becoming a nation of pansies.

If by "planes" you mean GA (since almost everyone flies on commercial planes), then yes, not everyone *flies* GA planes, but nearly everyone benefits from GA (and hence the related airports), in many different ways.

If by "planes" you mean GA (since almost everyone flies on commercial planes), then yes, not everyone *flies* GA planes, but nearly everyone benefits from GA (and hence the related airports), in many different ways.

Only GA pilots believe that line. GA doesn't do squat for most people and they wouldn't notice its absence.

Only GA pilots believe that line. GA doesn't do squat for most people and they wouldn't notice its absence.

That's been proven wrong by many studies. On a personal level, my own flying to many small out of the way places over the years helped develop medical facilities there, and I can assure you I would not have flown into many of them had it not been for GA. Multiply this by all the other support activities of remote and smaller communities, and you'll get a sense of how crucial GA is to the infrastructure of this country.

Studies funded by whom? Nothing we can't do with a truck or helicopter. GA is awesome and should exist on the basis of freedom, but freedom scares us now. And feelings vote.

Studies funded by whom? Nothing we can't do with a truck or helicopter. GA is awesome and should exist on the basis of freedom, but freedom scares us now. And feelings vote.

Good luck with that in Alaska (and many other parts of the country)

Many, perhaps most, helicopters are GA, so you need to get your definitions checked.
GA's "freedom" is a side-effect and a marketing tool. Many GA flights are in pursuit of more practical things like delivering healthcare, transacting business in smaller communities (hard to reach by airlines or commuters), and keeping this country's economy humming. There are many such studies, just use Google. And I assure you a "truck" wouldn't have helped in my own case, where I needed to fly to various health facilities around the country.

“I’d like to suggest one thing that I think could make the airport operations a whole lot safer for everyone, and that is to abolish touch-and-go’s and eliminate the practice flights”

So flying would be safer if pilots were prohibited from practicing? :mad2:

Just because doctors are always practicing medicine and lawyers are always practicing law does not mean pilots need to be practicing flying. We just do it. :D :lol:

It is sad that whenever a retard speaks up with great media coverage, it sparks a lot of debate and name calling.
It is NOT our fault that dumb people are born in the world every second. And the government is successfully taking away any measures of natural selection we had. Dumb people are reproducing like rabbits and they WILL prevail, mark my words. The overall IQ is declining and we have no way of stopping it. (again, government interference here, for a very good reason)
So get used to it, the problem will only get worse.
Btw, Idiocracy does not seem like Sci-Fi anymore, now does it? Morelike a documentary. :(

Back