The adventure continues...

No. But I feel no need to let the internet community as a whole know when a checkride is going to happen. It leads to unnecessary pressures.

Of course...was just curious because I've always scheduled my own checkrides...and since you did scheduled his, and then said it was a secret, it made me wonder :eek:

Good luck David :)

David will pass without difficulty, because:

1. He's a natural;
2. He is young and resilient; and
3. He is being trained by the World's Greatest Pilot.

Gordon Baxter took his instrument checkride without knowing it was a checkride. Great story.

Wouldn't work. A DPE can't give a check ride to a student s/he signs off. Haven't heard that Baxter story.

GordonBaxter said:
Getting there took from November 10, 1972 to February 10, 1973, and it didn't finish with any flourish of trumpets or garland of roses. At the low point of the sullen rides with Shelton, I was smitten with pneumonia. Two weeks of skulking around wondering if I was well or sick. and then I presented myself to Marsh's on a Saturday. I wasn't well, wasn't still sick, but any flying would be better than no flying. It seemed natural that the Old Man himself came gruffing out to ride with me; Saturday was Shelton's day off. "I don't like to shout in airplanes," was Marsh's only comment as we set sail to go crashing around the course.

On the home leg, he stirred himself out of his corner to pester me with a lot of irrelevant questions about what I'd do if this or that happened. He only stiffened up once when I almost pegged the needle on the localizer coming home. As I bicycled out of that one, I heard us both emit a long, shaky sigh.

Taxing back to the ramp, he asked: "How do you think you did?"

"No better, no worse than usual, sir."

"Well, you just passed your check ride."

Gordon Baxter, Bax Seat - Log of a Pasture Pilot (1978)

No. But I feel no need to let the internet community as a whole know when a checkride is going to happen. It leads to unnecessary pressures.

As if we weren't all fully aware that he would be taking it before he leaves Nebraska before he even embarked on the trip. :rolleyes: We're all rooting him on, no pressure...

Congratulations on passing the written, David!

But, most importantly, how's Dani's cooking?

Last edited:
:confused: That is 100 MPH? Are you driving or flying? :rofl:

Come on guys you need to start looking at RVs. That is a 3.5 hour trip. ;)

Yeah, but, you should've seen all the stuff that came out of that 172 when they landed at 6y9. You could barely see Dani in the back through all the stuff packed in around her! :) It would've taken 3 RVs to bring all the stuff that those three had with them.

Everything in life has its place.

:confused: That is 100 MPH? Are you driving or flying? :rofl:

Come on guys you need to start looking at RVs. That is a 3.5 hour trip. ;)

Show me a RV that can do everything his 180 hp STOL 172 can for $40,000.

As if we weren't all fully aware that he would be taking it before he leaves Nebraska been before he even embarked on the trip. :rolleyes: We're all rooting him on, no pressure...

Congratulations on passing the written, David!

But, most importantly, how's Dani's cooking?

Thanks Tim :) and Danielles cooking is very good.

I passed the instrument written with a 78, but I guess a pass is a pass. I still dont think thats too shabby for studying for less than a week :dunno:

Attitude indicator is fixed, I took it for a a few laps around the pattern. It seems to work well.

Yeah, I hated the written then I'm not great at standardized tests, I recall I got an 86. studied like crazy. I'm of the opinion its the flying that really counts (not that the knowledge portion isn't important) No doubt you'll do great on the practical.

Anything over a 70 and you're just showing off. :yesnod:

I got a 97 that and 95 cents will get you a coffee at WaWa. The only thing I've heard about a decent test score is that the DPE may go easier on you in the oral if you got a higher test score.

As I said above. David will fly through his Practical ( pun intended)

We flew 4.5 hours today - all cross country to various airports with lots of different approaches.

David with his lunch:
311095_2125021126517_1275540023_31933104_128235468_n.jpg

295829_2125006486151_1275540023_31933083_55539103_n.jpg

Tomorrow we'll work our way to Des Moines while shooting approaches at various airports on the way there. Then we'll head off to St Joseph and shoot approaches on the way there. Then back to Lincoln

Last edited:
We flew 4.5 hours today - all cross country to various airports with lots of different approaches.

David with his lunch:
311095_2125021126517_1275540023_31933104_128235468_n.jpg

295829_2125006486151_1275540023_31933083_55539103_n.jpg

Tomorrow we'll work our way to Des Moines while shooting approaches at various airports on the way there. We may work our way back via St Joseph. We'll see.

Are y'all claiming any airports along the way? There's a BUNCH of 'em in Nebraska that still need claiming. A bunch in Iowa too.

Tomorrow we'll work our way to Des Moines while shooting approaches at various airports on the way there. Then we'll head off to St Joseph and shoot approaches on the way there. Then back to Lincoln

When you stopping in Lee's Summit? ;):D

Sometime after Tuesday as per Greg.

lol...and can you make it a bit earlier than last time...but not too early...lol...I get done at the hospital at 4:30pm. :D

and...don't forget to bring Danielle! :)

and not Friday 'cause I'm on-call at the hospital from 4:30pm to 8:00am Saturday...:eek:

I know, I know...I'm asking a lot...:redface:...but you gotta give a girl credit for trying! :D

I got a 97 that and 95 cents will get you a coffee at WaWa. The only thing I've heard about a decent test score is that the DPE may go easier on you in the oral if you got a higher test score.
Well, there are some CFIIs who think a good score is important. Mine makes his students take the written over again if they score less than 90%. (Yes, I'm not kidding about that... unless he is, and it didn't sound like it.)

I got a 92.

Well, there are some CFIIs who think a good score is important. Mine makes his students take the written over again if they score less than 90%. (Yes, I'm not kidding about that... unless he is, and it didn't sound like it.)

I got a 92.

I hope your CFI gives his students $150 to take it over again.

i think i got a 72 on my instrument knowledge test

Did you have to amend the weight and balance after that lunch? ;)

Looks like you guys are having fun. Go David!

David and I flew 12.1 hours this weekend - he is developing quickly and will make a great instrument pilot.

David and I flew 12.1 hours this weekend - he is developing quickly and will make a great instrument pilot.

This is great. I am not familiar with all the requirements - how many of them have you gone through? Any chance you two will get some "actual" or have you already flown in actual? I think you did on the way to or from 6Y9 though, so there is that.

This is great. I am not familiar with all the requirements - how many of them have you gone through? Any chance you two will get some "actual" or have you already flown in actual? I think you did on the way to or from 6Y9 though, so there is that.

They got some actual the other day. David posted a pic on facebook.

Here you can see David demonstrating his ability to fly a Cherokee at 30 knots groundspeed on upwind, and 160 knots groundspeed on downwind. No wheel pants.

Back