The “ins” and “outs” of tires

Robin Hood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robin Hood
Recently upon landing I had the unfortunate experience of a flat tire. As the mains settled something just wasn’t right, there was no sound to give away the new development just a weird feeling that the right main was too “soft”. Then slowly as the speed decreased the plane gently turned to the right and stopped. After getting out and analyzing what had just taken place we pulled the plane to parking using a mule and tow-bar. My question is why did the tire blow? Looking back I remember that the blown tire was more inflated then the left tire and it was a hot day. Other than these factors, I am clueless as to why the tire went and I’m really not sure when it went except that it must have happened right at touchdown. Has anyone else experienced this and what can I do to prevent it happening again?

had a nose wheel go flat one time. landing and taxi went and felt fine but it was flat nonetheless. ground crew tried adding air...no go. tube had split at the seam. crew chief chalked it up to CCC...’cheap Chinese c**p”.

You never know. Could be something as simple as someone using baby powder instead of tire talc when assembling the wheel.

Oh boy, my first test. Baby powder has stuff in it that can cause the residual powder to pill or ball up causing a lump or relatively un-smooth surface between the tire and the tube which over time, can wear holes in the tube. Notice I said "residual" powder. Any mechanic worth his salt will ensure that none exists prior to putting the tube in the tire.

Recently upon landing I had the unfortunate experience of a flat tire. As the mains settled something just wasn’t right, there was no sound to give away the new development just a weird feeling that the right main was too “soft”. Then slowly as the speed decreased the plane gently turned to the right and stopped. After getting out and analyzing what had just taken place we pulled the plane to parking using a mule and tow-bar. My question is why did the tire blow? Looking back I remember that the blown tire was more inflated then the left tire and it was a hot day. Other than these factors, I am clueless as to why the tire went and I’m really not sure when it went except that it must have happened right at touchdown. Has anyone else experienced this and what can I do to prevent it happening again?

It happens. Not all that unusual. And more likely the tube, not the tire that failed. How old are the tubes? Rubber ages.

It happens. Not all that unusual. And more likely the tube, not the tire that failed. How old are the tubes? Rubber ages.
It's not rubber anymore. It's some sort of synthetic goop.

It's not rubber anymore. It's some sort of synthetic goop.

I've heard complaints that Chinese made tubes are making their way into the system. I'd prefer to avoid that too.

I just replaced the tube in the tailwheel of the Husky last week. Developed a slow leak that rapidly became not so slow. 23 years old, that's long enough.

Oh boy, my first test. Baby powder has stuff in it that can cause the residual powder to pill or ball up causing a lump or relatively un-smooth surface between the tire and the tube which over time, can wear holes in the tube. Notice I said "residual" powder. Any mechanic worth his salt will ensure that none exists prior to putting the tube in the tire.

I used baby powder for years, there was never any balling up of the powder when I changed the tires, but I also never used an excessive amount.

Tell me the difference?
never heard of it, I now want to research it, but I have used baby powder on literally hundreds of motorcycle tires, I worked at a custom bike shop around a decade in my younger days. I had 1 tire fail, that I am aware of,& it was a piece of rubber that flaked off inside of tire, & punctured tube, it happened on my personal bike.

I'm not sure how old they are, I bought the plane in Jan. I suppose it may be in the logs

so....maybe you just have a dirty diaper? Just say'n....o_O

I replaced several tubes that failed because they were being chafed by a sticker inside the tire. Goodyear had used a hard plastic overlay on the sticker, and it would peel loose a bit and the tube rubbed on it as the tire rotated. I filed SDRs on the problem. I started taking those stickers out.

Watch it... some baby powder is cornstarch these days.

I have had 2 flats right after I exited the runway, both times at night, both times with a CFI on board, I have a sneaky suspicion that both times the CFI thought I didn’t have enough right rudder, places their feet on the paddle and locked the brakes by mistake. That’s my story I am sticking to it

Ever since my last pinched stem im paranoid about low inflation and sharp steering with diff braking while at taxi speed (typical brisk turnoff from ret after landing). So I run those mains slightly overinflated, bring a bicycle foot pump with me on the road, and no longer do sharp steering at taxi speeds. Always brake positively OR steer sharply, no longer both. My voodoo my superstitions. So far so good.

That’s one time it’s good to be in a nose dragger!

Watch it... some baby powder is cornstarch these days.

And corn starch would do what?

AKRON, Ohio, Dec. 15, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Taking time to stretch and add a dose of talcum powder may sound like a gymnast getting ready for the high bar, but those practices also apply to mounting aircraft tires.

Essential to providing proper tire life, correctly mounting aircraft tires requires following the detailed mounting procedures provided by tire and wheel manufacturers for both tube-type and tubeless tires.

Larry Rapsard, product support manager for The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: GT), says proper mounting of aircraft tires calls for a 12-hour stretch after the initial mounting.

"All tires, particularly bias tires, will stretch after the initial inflation, causing a volume increase and a corresponding drop in pressure. For that reason, tires should not be placed in service until they've been inflated for a minimum of 12 hours and reinflated if necessary," Rapsard said.

After the 12-hour stretch period, it is highly recommended that the tire/wheel assembly be given a 24-hour diffusion check to make sure the assembly is holding inflation properly. Tubeless assemblies, in particular, can lose pressure through the valve, o-ring, fuse plug, overpressure plug, tiny cracks in the wheel, etc.

When mounting a tube-type tire, a light coat of talc on the tube before mounting will help the tube fit inside the tire. After mounting, first inflate, then deflate, then re-inflate the tire. This helps to equalize the tube inside the tire, minimizing the chance for pinching and folding.

When mounting a tubeless tire, torque the wheel bolts properly and inflate the tire to the recommended inflation pressure with dry nitrogen.

After mounting aircraft tires, check tire pressures daily when they are at ambient temperature, since tire/wheel assemblies can lose as much as 5 percent of inflation pressure in 24 hours. By observing these procedures for mounting aircraft tires, you'll experience better results from your tires.

These tips and more are covered in detail in Goodyear's Tire Care & Maintenance Manual. For information about Goodyear aviation tires and dealer locations, visit www.goodyearaviation.com.

SOURCE The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company

My next door hangar neighbor had 2 flat tires in a matter of a couple weeks after letting his tire pressure get too low. The poh called for 24 psi...I told him at least 30 psi was better...oh well. After 2 flat tires he runs 30 psi. He spun the tires on the rims due to low pressure and braking. He was running 6 ply tires which Desser recommends at least 30 psi.

Sounds like a Cherokee 140 which calls for 4 ply in the parts manual. I read the arguments here and elsewhere that although many install 6 ply, it isn't correct. Something about sidewall flex and helping out the struts on landing.

And corn starch would do what?
Unlike talc, turn to goo if there's the least bit of moisture in the mix. The Goodyear document you excerpted says to use talc not cornstarch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back