That's not my job!

Well, it's obviously not a DOT operation -- there aren't 3 guys standing around propped on shovels watching the one guy paint the line.

It might be understandable. There's not a guy walking along with a spray can. They paint these things from a truck. Nobody gets out and the truck never stops. The operator just turns the paint flow off and on.

This wouldn't happen in Sweden.
They would stop the truck when they reach the tree, call in a team of engineers to determine the weight of the tree. Three days later the engineers show up and they file a report four days after that. Then project managers would then contact union and ask what crew they recommend to move a tree with that weight. The union would respond after the following weekend and recommend three persons that would do the job but those three are now on vacation and won't be back for five weeks.

Five Weeks later the tree movers arrive to move the tree. When they arrrive at the scene they realise that they cannot just move the tree and leave it there without consulting the Public Office of Environmental Protection (POEP). POEP responds that they will send out an inspector the following week to assess the situation. He shows up the following week and determines that the tree has to be removed to a special area since it might be contaminated by road salt, emission and other things.

This requires a whole new crew to move the tree since the original three persons are not qualified to deal with contaminated trees. Three weeks later that special crew arrives and removes the tree.

The paint truck can now continue and make a STRAIGHT line and everybody is happy.....;)

It might be understandable. There's not a guy walking along with a spray can. They paint these things from a truck. Nobody gets out and the truck never stops. The operator just turns the paint flow off and on.

The fact that they are incapable of stopping, jumping out, and moving the branch is the sad part.

At least that was just a stick on the side of the road combined with a lazy paint driver.

Attachments

• sign-treeinroad.jpg
    sign-treeinroad.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 51
The fact that they are incapable of stopping, jumping out, and moving the branch is the sad part.
I would bet that Union rules say that they are not ALLOWED to take said action.

I've worked at a few facilities that were union. Something as simple as moving offices would take days waiting for all the approvals and required forms to simply move my pc. One place allowed me to move my chair but not my pc. My pc accidentally fell onto the seat of my chair just before I wheeled my chair to my new office late one evening after all witnesses had left the building ...

"Huh! Now how did THAT get there?" :dunno:

I've worked at a few facilities that were union. Something as simple as moving offices would take days waiting for all the approvals and required forms to simply move my pc. One place allowed me to move my chair but not my pc. My pc accidentally fell onto the seat of my chair just before I wheeled my chair to my new office late one evening after all witnesses had left the building ...

:rofl: :rofl:

...then ran over a pencil with the chair and the pc bounced up on the new desk. How weird.

I would bet that Union rules say that they are not ALLOWED to take said action.

I remember a friend of mine had just moved into a new job at a chemical plant near Houston; laser printer needed a toner cartridge, and he called the IT guy to ask where they were. IT guy tells him he'll take care of it.

Next day, a uniformed fellow in steel-toes shows up with a maintenance cart loaded with tools, and a laser printer cartridge. After fumbling around for 20 minutes trying to figure out how to put it in, my friend finally "helped" (installed the cartridge).

Before steel-toed-one left, friend asked him: "Hay, can you leave an extra so I don't have to bother you for it next time"?

Response: "Buddy, I need a job too"!

Do I need to tell you, that a grievance was filed against my friend the next day?

You can't make this stuff up.

===

Net result: the company now contracts out all IT functions, and a fully-staffed help desk handles such things at a fraction of the old cost. They did not want to do it, but the demand for even more-restrictive work rules and a substantial increase in pay broke the camel's back.

Net result: the company now contracts out all IT functions, and a fully-staffed help desk handles such things at a fraction of the old cost. They did not want to do it, but the demand for even more-restrictive work rules and a substantial increase in pay broke the camel's back.

It's Bush's fault! :rolleyes:

I'm kidding, of course. But, that's how bad some of the unions are. Nothing is ever their fault.

I hate union shops. You can always tell 'em, too. They'll load the whole truck except the last pallet, and then they'll go take their half-hour lunch break before they put the last one on. Well thanks buddy, now *I* don't get a lunch break. :mad:

I went to a union shipyard once, and watched them work for a while, and then, while talking with a few other drivers about how slow they were, calculated that they were only making one trip onto a truck each fifteen MINUTES. (One pallet... smoke break... one pallet... smoke break... etc.)

Which was here first? Enterprising sign folks---no?

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Planeintree.JPG
    Planeintree.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 8
Deleted for purposes of appeasement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Ken - way to take a humorous thread about a goof-off and turn it political!! Sheesh.

Back