THAT guy with the flight jacket with patches

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
A number of years ago my sister, who spends her summers crewing on a B-17, bought me an L-1 lightweight flight jacket after I went for a flight in it. Of course, the jacket has the Commemorative Air Force's Sentimental Journey image on the back.

I was born and raised on air force bases and my Dad flew as a ball turret gunner in a B-17 during WW2. So, I added his name patch on the jacket in his memory. Then I got a ride in the EAA's Aluminum Overcast B-17, so I added that patch. Now my jacket looks like "that guy".

The jacket is the most light weight and comfortable jacket I own. I live in a climate where it is perfect for the winter weather. I also have various physical problems that make the light weight, and ease of getting on an off, preferable.

However, I felt like "that guy" when I wore it, so I rarely did.

Recently I had back surgery and the benefits I noted above became even more important. So I started wearing it again. And again, I got very self-conscious wearing it around our small town.

So, I asked my wife to buy me a "clean" L-1 jacket for Christmas. I wanted exactly the same jacket but without all the patches and logos. I wanted the benefit of the jacket without all the self-conscious junk on it.

Unfortunately, I screwed up and sent her the wrong link to the Sporty's website. I ended up with an M-1 jacket which I hate (way too bulky). It is getting returned.

I started thinking more about my jacket and whether I really needed another one. I also started thinking about some of the conversations I had recently gotten into because of the jacket.

About a month ago, a neighbor I had never talked to, saw me wearing it while working in the front yard. He and his wife stopped and asked me about the jacket. He then started telling me his story about his father who flew in the air force.

A short while after that I'm in this busy store and this teenage girl who worked there asked me if I was a pilot? I said yes and she went on a ten minute description of going on her first ride in a small plane. The young girls eyes were just lit up talking about it. I didn't say much, just listened. It made me feel good that she got such joy out of telling her story.

Then two days ago I'm in line at CVS and this grey-haired guy about my age walks up and says, "Ten missions in a B-52 in Vietnam!", with a wide grin on his face. I explained my family spent 3 years at Grand Forks AFB where Dad helped put together strike packages for the B-52s stationed there during the MAD days. He spent a few minutes telling me about a couple of his missions. It was obvious he was proud of his service.

I found these recent interactions to be something that really touched me (Yes, I'm old and sentimental). None of these would have happened if I hadn't been wearing my dorky jacket.

I've decided I'm not going to get a new jacket. The new memories my old one is creating are kind of precious to me. I've decided I'm ok with being THAT guy.

Last edited:
Wear the jacket and don’t be the least bit embarrassed. It’s a cool jacket, it brings out the conversation in people and promotes aviation. My hat is off to you, and if I ever see you in it- I will say hello.

Not that you didn't know this already, but you're getting a glimpse at the tacit esprit-de-corps that unites the lived experience of those of us who served in uniform, whether by choice or not. The impact is, as you are witnessing, something that can reverberate down the generations. Though it is true that their time in the Service does not have the same meaning to all veterans young or old, I can tell you it has been central to my personal journey in living a Purpose-Driven life.

If your hesitation stems from a sense of impostor/stolen valor, don't, you're fine on both fronts. Happy new year.

Don’t be self conscious any more. If you feel comfortable, I’d love to see pics of the jacket and patches. Thanks for sharing the above.

Not that you didn't know this already, but you're getting a glimpse at the tacit esprit-de-corps that unites the lived experience of those of us who served in uniform, whether by choice or not. The impact is, as you are witnessing, something that can reverberate down the generations. Though it is true that their time in the Service does not have the same meaning to all veterans young or old, I can tell you it has been central to my personal journey in living a Purpose-Driven life.

If your hesitation stems from a sense of impostor/stolen valor, don't, you're fine on both fronts. Happy new year.
If your hesitation stems from a sense of impostor/stolen valor, don't, you're fine on both fronts.
That last paragraph is, in part, my concern.

Growing up on Air Force bases, and my Dad serving in both WW2 and Vietnam, I have tremendous respect and admiration for those who have served.

In some ways I feel a little bit like an imposter when I wear it. But, I guess I am starting to get over that. Your response is very helpful. Thank you!

One of our Fly Baby crew had an artist friend, and had him develop a WWII-style logo. I really like it, and got permission to make patches using his design (I pay him a 50-cent royalty per patch). Made big, pre-war-sized 5" patches, not those chinsy little one.

Coupled with my russet A-2, it makes a very dandy appearance:
1703887148160.png
I continually get compliments about the jacket. Just last week, a security guard at a clinic and a waitress commented on it. Usually end up talking about the airplane.

I keep a couple of spare patches in the pocket, to give to little kids that seem fascinated by the design. About twenty years ago, I was contacted by an Australian group that used airplanes to give prenatal and post-birth care to isolated families. Sent them a half-dozen patches.....

Ron Wanttaja

Just don't be THAT GUY that wears a plumbers surplus green 1 piece onesie covered with flight patches...

1703889816674.png

Ok, I know these are PJs, but if you wear these to bed then no pictures please...

I sometimes wear my 30+ year old AF issued leather flight jacket while riding the motorcycle. It still has the name tag, rank, and wings on the left breast and a modified ACC Patch with the B-1 instead of the sword on the right breast. At times it is a conversation starter.

I stopped to get fuel and stepping into the store to get a drink when an older gentleman exiting the store saw the jacket and snapped to attention and saluted. It surprised me, my auto reaction was to return the salute. Then we shook hands and chatted a bit.

Just don't be THAT GUY that wears a plumbers surplus green 1 piece onesie covered with flight patches...

View attachment 123763

Ok, I know these are PJs, but if you wear these to bed then no pictures please...

Ugh, if I went to sleep in that oscar-flavored grouchskin, I'd wake up in a puddle of my own broth. Who the hell are these for? Some dickensian loft resident with no heat, but somehow, access to amazon prime?

Ugh, if I went to sleep in that oscar-flavored grouchskin, I'd wake up in a puddle of my own broth. Who the hell are these for? Some dickensian loft resident with no heat, but somehow, access to amazon prime?

I don't ask questions, I just shake my head and hope someone doesn't answer the question...

I wear my USAF issued A-2 flight jacket all the time to work for the couple of months of cooler weather we get here in FL. It looks basically the same as it did when I retired out of the Pentagon— HQ Air Force (Hap Arnold) patch but I changed out the issue Name tag patch for one with (Ret) after my rank.

Last edited:
My Dad served 30 years and was basically the Ben Affleck of the military: started out on PB4Y Privateers, then was a corpsman with 3Rd div marines in Nam 65-67, then became a master at arms and served on destroyers, cruisers, mine sweeps, auxiliaries, landing ship docks (LSDs), ending up as the sheriff on USS Coral Sea and finishing as the top cop of the sub base in Bangor. Like if you wrote a book about it, nobody would believe it. He had this raggedy flight jacket with a thousand patches that made him look like a homeless bum, except not as nice as that sounds. It mortified me, I constantly bought him new jackets which I never saw again. But I have to say this, it sparked a lot of conversations, and it was easy to find him if he wandered off in a crowd.

A few years back I was in a local sandwich shop and I noticed in gentleman in the corner by himself eating and wearing a WWII Veteran cap, 42nd Rainbow Division. A lot of credit goes to the 101st, 82nd, and Patton'ss 3rd Army, but these guys slugged it out inch by inch

I had asked him if he was in Colonel McAuther's merry band of misfits, to which smiled and nodded. Two hours later I was still listening to him, a very interesting person. I had offerd to give him a ride, but he declined... said we marched from France to Austria, and a few blocks were not going to hurt.

In the late 80’s myself and young wife stumbled into a pub in Winchester, England and after siting down mid afternoon I remarked to her that the two gentlemen couple of tables away were wearing 40 year old Bomber Jackets and must be the real deal. My comment was over heard and soon was asked how I knew…and respectfully told them I was a U.S. military aviator but by grandfathers and a couple of uncles were RAF. I met that day Gordon and Cecil. Both Lancaster Pilots and Professors of English at Winchester College. During the war Cecil was a Squadron Commander who participated in the raid on Dresden and Gorden was a pilot in the unit. The flipped roles after the war when Gordon was the Dean of the English Department and Cecil was a professor.

We for years we corresponded and went back several times to see Gordon. That day we met Cecil had lost his wife and Gordon took in to the pub to console him…that’s when we interrupted the grieving…Both were thankful it happened that way and unfortunately Cecil passed less then a year later…couple of old guys wearing weathered bomber jackets…I was in that pub a month ago and toasted with my wife to absent companions…wear the jacket.

Last edited:
A number of years ago my sister, who spends her summers crewing on a B-17, bought me an L-1 lightweight flight jacket after I went for a flight in it. Of course, the jacket has the Commemorative Air Force's Sentimental Journey image on the back.

I was born and raised on air force bases and my Dad flew as a ball turret gunner in a B-17 during WW2. So, I added his name patch on the jacket in his memory. Then I got a ride in the EAA's Aluminum Overcast B-17, so I added that patch. Now my jacket looks like "that guy".

If you haven't already done so, read Meg Godlewski's jacket article in the Nov 2023 issue of FLYING. She mentions some family heirloom jackets, and describes her own A2 jacket that has patches which commemorate her own aviation moments or honor people she's known, much like your jacket.

The new memories my old one is creating are kind of precious to me. I've decided I'm ok with being THAT guy.

Great attitude. Good for you.

Back