Thank you, for taking the time to care

A perfectly good radio being monitored and not otherwise used is not giving a rats ***, even if people are "supposed" to be able to operate like that.

I want to say that listening is better than nothing, but if everybody only used their radios for listening, they'd be pretty useless. :wink2:

But I still don't think monitoring only, or "going full NORDO" even, is some kind of breach of safe practice or etiquette.

I've never , ever been confused by what I've seen in the pattern, and many times I have worked out some challenging pattern problems without exchanging a word with the other pilot... but man have I heard some stuff that did not make sense (and to be fair, I have said my share of dumb things)! All those extraneous words, cryptic locals-only landmarks, pointless queries, idle chit-chat, arguments, pilots on the wrong freq or at the wrong airport with the right freq... bad radios... hasty trigger-fingers stepping on everybody... stuck mics... and the fact that at 2000 feet above my home drome I can hear identical CTAFs 50 miles away... etc., etc...

Not saying the radio is a bad thing, but even with controller oversight, even in radar environments with everybody squawking and talking, looking outside trumps all. At little grass strips, big tower-controlled airports, in controlled airspace, or even on the airways. I believe that because it has probably saved my life more than once. And every damn time I was squawking, listening, and talking, and so were the other pilots involved.

It's technically possible for a third party to alert two pilots converging in each others' blind spots, but that's a very rare event, in my experience.
Far more common are collisions in or near the pattern caused by pilots not looking while the other traffic might still be in view... because hey, they called their 45-degree entry six miles out, now it's time to stare at the runway or fiddle with stuff inside the plane. :rolleyes2:
Anyway, that's my POV, and my defense of it. :dunno:

You might feel better if you just state your apparent POV: that using the radio is safer than looking outside and thinking about what you see. :)

Why is there a presupposition that a person on the radio quits looking for traffic? :dunno:

The thing I really hate is when the CTAF is clogged with people talking about what they had for lunch, the recent panel upgrade, how nice the weather is, or whatever. These people manage to make the radio a distraction rather than a useful augment to looking outside, such that I'll often turn the volume way down just to keep myself focused on spotting traffic with my eyes.

I heard a pair discussing on 122.8 today whether they could make it to a particular field (one was low on fuel), this conversation turned into

2. Where is the nearest field.
3. I have never seen a 3 letter airport that starts with a K
4. I can't figure out how to work my GPS.
5. Its 20 Miles, I think I can make it that far...

:(

I heard a pair discussing on 122.8 today whether they could make it to a particular field (one was low on fuel), this conversation turned into

(facepalm)

Pardon me. I'm having a hard time understanding why that is a misuse of the frequency.

Being low on fuel is an urgent situation.

1) In such a case, it is prudent to continue using the frequency you are on, getting help from those you are already communicating with.

2) Where is the nearest field.
Totally legitimate request for information.

3) I have never seen a 3-letter airport that starts with a K. Obviously confused, trying to use the GPS to find nearest and not understanding the ICAO airport identifier system. Still part of the urgent situation of trying to locate the nearest airport in a low-fuel situation.

4) I can't figure out how to work my GPS. Another request for assistance in finding out where the nearest airport is.

5) Its 20 Miles, I think I can make it that far... Conclusion of urgent situation (tenatively).

And a telling example of the GA pilot competency level observed by CFIs on an ongoing basis.

Pardon me. I'm having a hard time understanding why that is a misuse of the frequency.

Being low on fuel is an urgent situation.

1) In such a case, it is prudent to continue using the frequency you are on, getting help from those you are already communicating with.

2) Where is the nearest field.
Totally legitimate request for information.

3) I have never seen a 3-letter airport that starts with a K. Obviously confused, trying to use the GPS to find nearest and not understanding the ICAO airport identifier system. Still part of the urgent situation of trying to locate the nearest airport in a low-fuel situation.

4) I can't figure out how to work my GPS. Another request for assistance in finding out where the nearest airport is.

5) Its 20 Miles, I think I can make it that far... Conclusion of urgent situation (tenatively).

Being low on fuel is an urgent situation. 1) In such a case, it is prudent to continue using the frequency you are on, getting help from those you are already communicating with.

2) Where is the nearest field. Totally legitimate request for information.

3) I have never seen a 3-letter airport that starts with a K. Obviously confused, trying to use the GPS to find nearest and not understanding the ICAO airport identifier system. Still part of the urgent situation of trying to

locate the nearest airport in a low-fuel situation.

Perhaps is wasn't a misuse of the freq.. Just annoying in that hundreds of others in range were trying to say something that didn't involve poor planning...

1. Sure, but how did you let it get to a point where "20 minutes to landing was actually a question"

2. Yes, If you have no idea where you are, this requires a 3-5 minute discussion...

3. if you are flying in Kansas, or have considered it for more than a minute, one would think that you would realize that several airports are three letters and begin with a K., especially a LOT of the municipal and smaller places that you may divert...

4.. You can't figure out how to direct-to on your GPS? or Nearest, or zoom out to the map, or just look at the sectional and turn?? Come on..

5. See #1...

And a telling example of the GA pilot competency level observed by CFIs on an ongoing basis.

Annoyed and scared the hell out of me, if I become a CFI, is this what I have to look forward to?

Nowhere did he state it was a misuse of the frequency, it seemed he was just shocked that someone sounded so incompetent. "I think I can make it" is not acceptable

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back